Windows 10 Help

Hello Jacksonville!! Heck, I'd be okay with an Orlando location.
Although this sounds good on the surface, realistically they'd end up putting one in North Tampa or the Brandon/Riverview area once it gets built up more. Property on that scale is getting pretty expensive. But we all know they'd get business from 150 miles away in all directions, so

Up date..

Replaced HDD with a SSD and added another SSD for a total of 2 TB of storage with 1.25 of that partitioned off to two separate drives and 32 Meg RAM Did a clean Windows 11 install and wowzaa!!!!!

Thanks all for your help.

Up date..

Replaced HDD with a SSD and added another SSD for a total of 2 TB of storage with 1.25 of that partitioned off to two separate drives and 32 Meg RAM Did a clean Windows 11 install and wowzaa!!!!!

Thanks all for your help.
Sigh. I'm old enough to remember when 32mb RAM was a top-notch setup. The first 386SX33 I built was rockin' it with 4 GB and Windows 3.1.

32 GB?

Sigh. I'm old enough to remember when 32mb RAM was a top-notch setup. The first 386SX33 I built was rockin' it with 4 GB and Windows 3.1.

32 GB?

32mb?

Bah. 4k and even that wasn't the smallest amount of RAM at the time...

It's funny to me how with every Windows release, there's a population of folks who refuse to move to the next iteration. It wasn't that long ago the Win7 loyalists refused to the death to move up to 10. Honestly, I don't blame them...Win10 was awful at its release. Win11 fixed most of the problems 10 introduced. I fail to understand how some folks believe Win11 is so bad. I use Windows for multiple concentrations...basic use, remote desktop for work, networking around the house, amateur radio functions...I rarely have issues that are Windows-induced. Back in the Win7 days, however I'd have instances such as Windows mis-identifying a USB device and going so far as to alter the hardware ID of said device to force it into its box. If you unplugged a device from one USB port and plugged it into another port, it would go through the whole installation process again. Not so with Win11. Obligatory YMMV

It's funny to me how with every Windows release, there's a population of folks who refuse to move to the next iteration. It wasn't that long ago the Win7 loyalists refused to the death to move up to 10. Honestly, I don't blame them...Win10 was awful at its release. Win11 fixed most of the problems 10 introduced. I fail to understand how some folks believe Win11 is so bad. I use Windows for multiple concentrations...basic use, remote desktop for work, networking around the house, amateur radio functions...I rarely have issues that are Windows-induced. Back in the Win7 days, however I'd have instances such as Windows mis-identifying a USB device and going so far as to alter the hardware ID of said device to force it into its box. If you unplugged a device from one USB port and plugged it into another port, it would go through the whole installation process again. Not so with Win11. Obligatory YMMV

I don't want another account floating around.

I'm not real wild about Microsoft trying to force me into replacing my computers.

I'm not real wild about Microsoft trying to force me into replacing my computers.
Yeah, this. I have two PCs in my house that don't meet their requirements for Windows 11. They are both performing their current duties well and as designed, and I don't feel like buying new CPUs, motherboards, and RAM for each of them, and doing an entire OS reinstall, just because Microsoft says I have to.

It's funny to me how with every Windows release, there's a population of folks who refuse to move to the next iteration.
I have an old-ish laptop that works fine with it's "ancient" version of Windows. It has a wide range of applications licensed and loaded, some of which are no longer published and are not compatible with later versions of Windows. I have exactly zero interest in changing the OS, because I don't want to spend a few weeks figuring out which applications no longer work, and then replacing them with something which will not work any better, may be less adequate for the purpose, and will consume a bunch of time to re-learn.

I find it incredibly annoying that Microsoft (and Apple, Android, etc.) wants to continually force people to "upgrade", knowing full well that it will break existing running applications.

If it ain't broken, Microsoft hasn't issued an "upgrade" lately.

So many people seem to think that software breaks when a vendor releases a new version... as if the software knows a newer version is out there and decides to sulk.

No bút the last update would likely break something.

What softwares is one using that would break with Win11? I'm using several softwares that were created in the Vista/7 days that still work without issue. A couple programs that were developed in the 95/98 days that have no need for updating such as a radio propagation software I use from VoA. No issues. I did once have a software for a radio information service called APRS that was developed on the 95 platform if I recall correctly that needed just a little tweaking to run right but it was minor. That software has since become obsolete for reasons other than Windows updates so a better package came along that I use today.

What softwares is one using that would break with Win11? I'm using several softwares that were created in the Vista/7 days that still work without issue. A couple programs that were developed in the 95/98 days that have no need for updating such as a radio propagation software I use from VoA. No issues. I did once have a software for a radio information service called APRS that was developed on the 95 platform if I recall correctly that needed just a little tweaking to run right but it was minor. That software has since become obsolete for reasons other than Windows updates so a better package came along that I use today.
It happens. I've got a couple clients that still are running Windows XP because of software won't run on anything newer. Up until about 3 or 4 years ago there was one that still had a Windows 95 machine for the same reason. :eek:

Back