Windows 10 Help

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Anyone know how to get rid of these task in Windows 10 64 bit....... or at least turn them off temporarlly... been getting a lot of crashes lately.. and these seem to be the culrpit

Capture.JPG

I'm not a smart guy, as everyone knows, but I'm somewhat slightly confident that you can't "get rid" of the system process lol.

sort by the DISK column to see what's really eating up resources.

Sure. Uninstall Windows.

Unfortunately, M$ really doesn't like it when people interact with their software and make it as painful as possible. You have highlighted things that are integral for Win to run. If you have a HDD, you could upgrade to an SSD to get through these slowdowns faster. If you already have an SSD, it might be faulty, or Win is bugged and should (probably) be reinstalled.

If you persist in using microcrap OS....one thought: how full is your system volume? If it has little free space, the OS, any OS, will expend a lot of time trying to fit within the limit drive space.

Is this a laptop with an hdd? If so I would guess it is failing. Make sure you have a backup of any valuable files before doing anything else.

Is this a laptop with an hdd? If so I would guess it is failing. Make sure you have a backup of any valuable files before doing anything else.

You're the second person to say this... guess it is time for a new one..

Shouldn't this be in the joke thread?

You're the second person to say this... guess it is time for a new one..

If it's a spinning platter Hard Drive, it may not be failing. I've encountered problems at work where 'engineering' (software development) have started writing their code assuming an SSD is present. It causes significant slowdown if the user's machine still has a HDD. If M$ is writing their updates assuming SSDs being present, I could see that causing the issues you're having.

What computer is this?

You have far too much memory installed in the computer. Windows 10 works best with 4GB.

You can send the unneeded memory to me.

1712793821037.png

If it's a spinning platter Hard Drive, it may not be failing. I've encountered problems at work where 'engineering' (software development) have started writing their code assuming an SSD is present. It causes significant slowdown if the user's machine still has a HDD. If M$ is writing their updates assuming SSDs being present, I could see that causing the issues you're having.

What computer is this?

Dell Inspoiron 3780.... I have had this one since 2016...

We pulled the trigger and got a newer one with all the bells and whistles from the Dell Outlet for $500. Once that comes, I will do a "clean install" of Windows 10 on this one and keep it as a "Living Room" computer.

It needs a new battery, too, so I may upgrade the hard drive at that time... the newer SSD are pretty cheap. Here is what the inners look like... I am seeing an SSD slot and a physical hard drive...hmmmmmmmCapture 2.JPG

Dell Inspoiron 3780.... I have had this one since 2016...

We pulled the trigger and got a newer one with all the bells and whistles from the Dell Outlet for $500. Once that comes, I will do a "clean install" of Windows 10 on this one and keep it as a "Living Room" computer.

It needs a new battery, too, so I may upgrade the hard drive at that time... the newer SSD are pretty cheap. Here is what the inners look like... I am seeing an SSD slot and a physical hard drive...hmmmmmmmView attachment 127879

That's a spinning platter. You can get an SSD of the same dimensions that will fit right where the HDD is. Or you can get an M.2 SSD. The label is for an M.2 slot. You would be surprised by the performance benefits offered by an SSD.

Here's an SSD that can replace the HDD: https://www.newegg.com/team-group-1tb-t-force-vulcan-z/p/N82E16820331833

Here's an SSD that should be able to fill the empty slot: https://www.newegg.com/silicon-power-p34a60-1tb/p/N82E16820301428

I'm not suggesting either product. I just listed those as examples of different types of SSDs.

That's a spinning platter. You can get an SSD of the same dimensions that will fit right where the HDD is. Or you can get an M.2 SSD. The label is for an M.2 slot. You would be surprised by the performance benefits offered by an SSD.

Here's an SSD that can replace the HDD: https://www.newegg.com/team-group-1tb-t-force-vulcan-z/p/N82E16820331833

Here's an SSD that should be able to fill the empty slot: https://www.newegg.com/silicon-power-p34a60-1tb/p/N82E16820301428

I'm not suggesting either product. I just listed those as examples of different types of SSDs.

Very much apprecaited thanks... keep forgetting about New Egg when it comes to computer stuff..

Very much apprecaited thanks... keep forgetting about New Egg when it comes to computer stuff..
Personally I like Micro Center - I frequent their brick & mortar stores and would like them to keep existing (and they have a web store as well). They are an American-owned private business, vs Newegg which is majority-owned by a Chinese corporation.

Personally I like Micro Center - I frequent their brick & mortar stores and would like them to keep existing (and they have a web store as well). They are an American-owned private business, vs Newegg which is majority-owned by a Chinese corporation.

I was a Fry's guy myself... use to catch their ads all the time in the newspaper..

Had a friend catch a misprint in an ad and scored on a Bose surround sound system... or as he put.. "got it at that price it was really worth.."

Hijack question. If you think a five year old HD is acting up (based on hearing the spinning up coincident with sound and image stuttering) what's involved in just replacing that drive with an SSD hard drive? The current mechanical hard drive is just being used for back up images (Macrium Reflect) as near as I can tell, and the OS and other info is all on a current SS drive. Can I just copy those images, switch out the current mechanical drive, and paste the images onto the new SS drive?

I'm a little too old to figure this stuff out myself. I need a kid's brain.

Hijack question. If you think a five year old HD is acting up (based on hearing the spinning up coincident with sound and image stuttering) what's involved in just replacing that drive with an SSD hard drive? The current mechanical hard drive is just being used for back up images (Macrium Reflect) as near as I can tell, and the OS and other info is all on a current SS drive. Can I just copy those images, switch out the current mechanical drive, and paste the images onto the new SS drive?

I'm a little too old to figure this stuff out myself. I need a kid's brain.
This is a different drive, logically, in Windows? Meaning that it sees it as D:, for example? If it's just used as storage then yes you can just replace it. If apps are installed on it then it's more complicated, but if it's just files then you can just replace the hardware.

I have a win 11 laptop which I have shelved forever. win 11 has so many problems.....and more problems....and more problems....and yo ucan't get Win 10 anymore....:(.

This is a different drive, logically, in Windows? Meaning that it sees it as D:, for example? If it's just used as storage then yes you can just replace it. If apps are installed on it then it's more complicated, but if it's just files then you can just replace the hardware.
Here's what I see with Disk Management and what shows on the (H) and (G) drives. (I removed a single 1.77 file from the H drive, which now shows as empty.) How reckless am I allowed to be removing the mechanical hard drive?

I'm 95% sure that Disk 1 is the SSD drive and Disk 0 is the mechanical HD, but I can't seem to find proof of that . . .

Manage 1.jpgG.jpg

H.jpg

Here's what I see with Disk Management and what shows on the (H) and (G) drives. (I removed a single 1.77 file from the H drive, which now shows as empty.) How reckless am I allowed to be removing the mechanical hard drive?

I'm 95% sure that Disk 1 is the SSD drive and Disk 0 is the mechanical HD, but I can't seem to find proof of that . . .

View attachment 127886View attachment 127887

View attachment 127888

If you go to "This PC" in the bar in either of those windows, and compare the total size with what Disk Management reports, you should be able to tell which is which.

Also just unplug it and turn the PC back on... if it's your OS drive it won't work and you can just plug it back in :D

If you go to "This PC" in the bar in either of those windows, and compare the total size with what Disk Management reports, you should be able to tell which is which.

Also just unplug it and turn the PC back on... if it's your OS drive it won't work and you can just plug it back in :D
Thanks. From what I gather the OS is on the SSD drive and the (G) and (H) partitions are on the mechanical HD with a large empty partition. I can disconnect the drive to confirm, but I assume I need to replace the drive with the (G) and (H) partitions, so should I just order a 1 TB SSD drive to do that? I don't think I need 2 TBs of storage. (If my assumption is wrong I can just return the wrong order and put in a new one. If the one with the OS is failing I think I should do something sooner rather than later . . . :oops:)

I've backed up all of My Documents on an external drive just in case.

Thanks. From what I gather the OS is on the SSD drive and the (G) and (H) partitions are on the mechanical HD with a large empty partition. I can disconnect the drive to confirm, but I assume I need to replace the drive with the (G) and (H) partitions, so should I just order a 1 TB SSD drive to do that? I don't think I need 2 TBs of storage. (If my assumption is wrong I can just return the wrong order and put in a new one. If the one with the OS is failing I think I should do something sooner rather than later . . . :oops:)

I've backed up all of My Documents on an external drive just in case.
It looks like you're only using about 300MB or so on G: anyway, and H: is empty? Also can you just put those backups on an external drive and start from scratch with whatever size you need?

Really though - if you want to be sure, power off the PC and unplug the HDD. If it happens to be the one the OS is on, then when powering back on you'll just get a message stating OS not found. Then power down and plug it in again, no harm done.

Also I'm kind of confused as to why one physical disk has 1266 GB assigned to G:, 781 to H:, and has 742 GB unallocated. Do you know why it's partitioned this way?

Also I'm kind of confused as to why one physical disk has 1266 GB assigned to G:, 781 to H:, and has 742 GB unallocated. Do you know why it's partitioned this way?
I have no idea. It might have been done by Macrium reflect when I installed that, but I really don't know what I'm doing so I might have done it myself. It wouldn't be the first time I've tried to outsmart myself and complicate something that should be simple.

I will do your suggestion to disconnect the drive tomorrow morning when I have a little more time, but I'm pretty sure that the OS is on the SS drive.

I really appreciate the help. I'll buy lunch.

Last edited:
I have a win 11 laptop which I have shelved forever. win 11 has so many problems.....and more problems....and more problems....and yo ucan't get Win 10 anymore....:(.
At least you understand my post above ... :cryin:

I would love to shop at MC, but the closest one is about five hours away. That's a bit much for a computer store.

Big fan of Macrium. Probably the only software I have supported with $$$.

I managed to get one of our IT guys on the phone yesterday, and he told me to get AOMEI as it is free.

He said that with the program, I could create a clone with the new SSD drive and then swap it out, and all should be good. He said it was simple, even the guys from our sales department could do it. I guess that is his rendition of Caveman.

I am prepping the patient for surgery as we speak.

It has been announced that Microsoft will stop sending updates for Windows 10 in October of 2025. This guy discusses alternatives:

I have no idea. It might have been done by Macrium reflect when I installed that, but I really don't know what I'm doing so I might have done it myself. It wouldn't be the first time I've tried to outsmart myself and complicate something that should be simple.

I will do your suggestion to disconnect the drive tomorrow morning when I have a little more time, but I'm pretty sure that the OS is on the SS drive.

I really appreciate the help. I'll buy lunch.
Well, I disconnected a the 3 TB hard drive and it wouldn't boot, so I plugged it back in and it still wouldn't boot, so I headed to the computer hospital to see if they can figure it out.

Update:
They deterimined that the SSD drive was failing. With the realization that W10 is also about to fail via Microsoft I've just gone ahead and ordered a new computer. Apparently there are potential obstacles to replacing the Optane SSD drive anyway, at least if it has failed completely.

Well, I disconnected a the 3 TB hard drive and it wouldn't boot, so I plugged it back in and it still wouldn't boot, so I headed to the computer hospital to see if they can figure it out.

Update:
They deterimined that the SSD drive was failing. With the realization that W10 is also about to fail via Microsoft I've just gone ahead and ordered a new computer. Apparently there are potential obstacles to replacing the Optane SSD drive anyway, at least if it has failed completely.
Well I guess my reassurance that no harm would be done by unplugging the drive for testing purposes was inaccurate o_O

Sorry about that, and better luck with the new one hopefully!

Well I guess my reassurance that no harm would be done by unplugging the drive for testing purposes was inaccurate o_O

Sorry about that, and better luck with the new one hopefully!
I don't think that was anything that wasn't more beneficial than harmful. I've been trying to revitalize this thing for months and it apparently is just a slow and unpredictable process. I've taken it to the shop twice when it wouldn't reboot after multiple attempts but then it would boot as soon as it was plugged in there. Stiil, eventually the intermittent stuttering and other glitches kept re-appearing - sometimes slowly creeping in and sometimes just basically crashing. I'm not looking forward to working a new opeating system but it's inevitable. If it weren't for this planned MS obsolescence I'd still be using Windows XP.

More commentary on the end of Windows 10. Many users are not happy.

I wish they'd put one here in Florida. I'd commute to it every time I needed a part instead of waiting for a shipment. Huge potential here!

I wish they'd put one here in Florida. I'd commute to it every time I needed a part instead of waiting for a shipment. Huge potential here!

Hello Jacksonville!! Heck, I'd be okay with an Orlando location.

Back