Old Cessna parts

straighttail172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
straighttail172
Mornin all, just getting into aviation and just purchased a pretty good used 1958 straight tail Cessna 172. It's in fair condition, but there are things that I want to purchase/replace and I'm having a hard time finding parts for a plane that old. Most recently were simple cowl plugs for it. Everything I've found on Ebay and other aviation sales sites were for 1960's models and above. If anyone has any suggestions for sites that would offer a wider variety and assortment of parts, especially for a plane that old, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

just getting into aviation and just purchased a pretty good used 1958 straight tail Cessna 172. It's in fair condition, but there are things that I want to purchase/replace and I'm having a hard time finding parts for a plane that old.
Perhaps sit down with your mechanic and have him go through the parts manuals and show you how it works for your specific aircraft. In general, older part numbers tend be superseded by new part numbers that will work for your older aircraft provided it fits within the stated serial number range.

Another way is to find one of the free internet-based newer parts manual, look up the part number for the item you want for your serial number aircraft, then research that part number for availability or alternate part number.

Or you can find and purchase a copy of the original parts manual for the same year/model as your aircraft and perform the same exercise. Its always been my recommendation for owners to use “original” manuals for older aircraft to include the maintenance manuals. Sometimes the OEM will upgrade parts with no consideration for older model aircraft which can create confusion when trying to determine what part is needed for what aircraft serial number.

I have said for a long time that there is no such thing as a cheap old airplane. A 172 that old has numerous parts that are nearly impossible to get because they have been out of production for a long time, and there are no aftermarket sources. The owners of such airplanes tend to clean out the salvage yards to keep their own airplanes going.

The main gear legs are a good example of rare parts. Those old spring-steel leaves are cut from spring steel, the edges carefully radiused, holes are drilled, the leg bent to shape, the bottom side shot-peened to create a dense, hard layer, and then the whole thing is heat treated. Hardened and tempered to very precise temperatures and quenching.

But that high-carbon steel corrodes. Corrosion causes pits in it, and on that bottom side, which is in terrific tension every time the weight of the airplane comes on it, is compromised. Because it is so hard, it can crack and fail suddenly, and some have done so. That tends to total the whole airplane. The worst spot is under the entry step that is clamped to the leg; moisture gathers under that area and causes rusting and pitting. Cessna has a bunch of service manual revisions on this. The pitting can be dressed out if it's within certain limits of depth, but if the dressing has to go too deep, re-shot-peening and heat-treating is now necessary.

Not cheap. And used legs from a wrecker are likely to be similarly affected.

Some more commonly-replaced parts are available from MacFarlane Aviation, Stene Aviation, Dynamic Propeller, and others. An outfit in Alaska make engine cooling baffles, but a good mechanic can also create those.

Kinda hit-or-miss, but if they have it the price is usually decent: preferredairparts.com. If you have the part number, you can search their inventory on line.

It starts with you identifying the items you need.

That starts with previous advice.

Becoming familiar with things like “ Usable On Code” is very important.

Your vocabulary should soon include STC, PMA, Approved Data,

Major / Minor Alteration etc.

This is a time consuming task that you don’t want to dump entirely

on your Tech. Ordering the wrong items can involve pricey shipping

and restocking fees so often parts are not returned.

There is a Classified Section on this and other forums.

There are several FB groups for the classic aircraft and engines.

Some FB groups also sell various parts.

It is an adventure though!

Back