Diabetes and the use of Ozempic watch weekly

R

Ronny Morris

Any diabetics out there that are using Ozempic or a medication in that class? Can I still obtain a third class medical certificate?

Any diabetics out there that are using Ozempic or a medication in that class? Can I still obtain a third class medical certificate?
Diabetes treated with oral medication (like Ozempic/semaglutide) will require a special issuance. But the chances for certification and SI are generally high.

If using this medication for weight loss, there will a short time down after starting the med or any dose changes, but otherwise, you can get and keep any class medical certificate. You also will need to provide a note from your treating doctor and lab to show you don't actually have diabetes.

There are some very troubling reports concerning adverse reactions when use for weight loss. These include (altho low possibility) thyroid cancer and potential intestinal blockage. Such that these are now FDA warnings on the boxes. The Mayo Clinic is reporting Pancreatitis in some patients.

Diabetes treated with oral medication (like Ozempic/semaglutide) will require a special issuance.
Ozempic is an injectable. In fact, the fancy dose-calibrated pen is the reason for short supply... apparently difficult to scale up production.

Most Semaglutide use is injected. There are oral forms, but dose effectiveness seems to vary widely person to person, making administration challenging.

And, I thought the oral meds were CACI-issuable?

Paul

There are some very troubling reports concerning adverse reactions when use for weight loss. These include (altho low possibility) thyroid cancer and potential intestinal blockage. Such that these are now FDA warnings on the boxes. The Mayo Clinic is reporting Pancreatitis in some patients.
I thought the thyroid cancer was a concern from animal studies. Is their human evidence of same?

Ozempic is an injectable. In fact, the fancy dose-calibrated pen is the reason for short supply... apparently difficult to scale up production.

Most Semaglutide use is injected. There are oral forms, but dose effectiveness seems to vary widely person to person, making administration challenging.

And, I thought the oral meds were CACI-issuable?

Paul
Sorry Paul. I think I confused matters. You are correct semaglutide can be injected or ingested orally. What I was referring to was one big difference is what the medication is being used to treat. If it's treating Diabetes, it will require a special issuance. I used the phrase 'diabetes treated with oral medication' to refer to any Diabetes not treated with insulin. But as you pointed out, some of the non-insulin diabetes meds can also be injected.

So this is the guidance for Diabetes treated with non-insulin meds: https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/special_iss/all_classes/diabetes

Now if using one of the approved diabetes medications specifically for weight loss, you are correct that it is 'CACI-issuable'. My reading of this guidance does not differentiate the way you take the medication - injectable vs oral semaglutide for example, both can be CACI-issuable. Big thing is that you have to show the AME your HgbA1C to prove you don't in fact have diabetes. Here's an article on that specific topic: https://www.goflightmedicine.com/post/faa-weight-loss-medications

Hope I unconfused things...

Back