Cracked Seat Frame - Cessna

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
While doing some work to get some slop out of my seat frames, replacing roll pins and shims etc. I found a crack in the passenger seat frame. Any recommendations on what to do at this point? - No you can't see it in the picture - but it's there!

PXL_20220906_022633227.jpg

Last edited:
Contact Beegles (KGXY) see if they've got one from salvage or know where to get one. Can it be welded? The cherokee set frames can be welded.

Call Sport Aircraft Seats. Daniel’s brother (Mario) has ready-to-go Cessna seat frames in stock. Really good guys.

Call Sport Aero Seats. Daniel’s brother (Mario) has ready-to-go Cessna seat frames in stock. Really good guys.
Will do- he did my upholstery. I didn't realize that they also did frames.

You might check with an aviation certified welder to determine if it can be repaired.

IIRC the frame in pic is of aluminum construction. Often when a structure is built using welding it can be repaired by welding also. The question would be; “is Heat Treatment part of the construction process”?

I have seen these these welded but I’m not sure if it was legal.

You might check with an aviation certified welder to determine if it can be repaired.
Never heard of such a thing. What makes a welder “Aviation Certified”? Do they have a piece of plastic in their pocket similar to a Pilot Certificate?

Never heard of such a thing. What makes a welder “Aviation Certified”? Do they have a piece of plastic in their pocket similar to a Pilot Certificate?
In Canada, that's the way it is. The welder must have a ticket.

upload_2022-9-6_10-51-2.png

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/re...section-57104-canadian-aviation-regulations-3

Those seats are regularly repaired by Acorn Welding in Edmonton, Alberta. I had several of that sort repaired. They cut off the old leg and weld on a new one made by them. They have Transport Canada certification for that repair.

The cracks have two causes: the slot was cut and left rough at the factory. Rough, sharp edges are prone to cracking, and in thin aluminum tubing it happens easily. The other cause is us big, heavy pilots and passengers sliding in and out of those seats, side-loading those legs and bending them a bit until they crack.

That seat has other weaknesses. The adjustable seat back has a couple of small clevis pins that ride on thin steel cams rotated by a hand crank through a threaded rod and bellcrank. Those clevis pins wear, and I have found them more than half-gone. Imagine them failing--if one goes, the other is getting all the load and could also fail immediately--and the seat back flops back just as you're accelerating in the takeoff roll. You will tend to haul back on the controls to pull yourself up. Crash.

The seat height adjustment uses another threaded rod through an aluminum nut. It seldom gets any attention or lubrication, so the nut's threads wear until they suddenly give out and drop you to the bottom of the range. Might be serious for a short person.

Last edited:
Its an industry certification, not an FAA certification. Most of your CRS and larger Air Ops Certificate holders require it but it is not required by regulation. But even with the AWS certification a welder can not sign off their work unless they also hold a CRS repairman cert or an A certificate.

At approved airline repair facilities APs who have completed advanced training and use FAA accepted standards (ie. MIL1575j, ISO9606) called FAA certified welders. There is not an FAA certificate, FAA acceptable welders is probably the correct term.

I have had 2 cracked Cessna frames repaired by aviation welders over the last 20 years. Both repairs were accomplished with the upholstery on the frame.

Aviation Fabricators in Clinton, MO does a great job repairing Cessna Seat Frames. Fully CRS Certified and able to return the seat with an 8130-3, return to airworthiness document. We also send every seat back with a 10 Year Warranty!!IMG_9317.jpgIMG_9890.jpg

Back