Mooney M20D - Are there still gear conversion kits?

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Barn find on a M20D. Looks to be in fair condition given the circumstances. Literally kicking the tires on the thing...

Searched the available mod kits from Mooney and didn't see the M20D conversion kit available, does anyone still make them?

The novelty of the straight legged m20 would be enough to keep it that way. Post a pic. I wanna see the rare beast

Last edited:
The novelty of the straight legged m20 would be enough to keep it that way. Post a pic. I wanna see the rare beast
Novelty is fine until you're kicking yourself for flying at 115kts in a Mooney with a wide-open throttle

Novelty is fine until you're kicking yourself for flying at 115kts in a Mooney with a wide-open throttle
It wouldn't be that bad. It would be better than a C model with the gear down since it would be more aerodynamic. It would be considerably slower than a C though.

I suspect you're SOL on this one.

N6630U (and others) were discussed in an old thread and per Flightaware it is active.

In the 15 year old thread (post #12) there is mention of an unused retractable gear conversion kit. It wouldn't surprise me if it were still around somewhere.

bit of a tough find and it's in mph (I converted for ya) but at 10gph and 7.5k you're looking at 113KTAS in the fixed gear, and 147KTAS in the retract (the POH lists both for the D). So yeah, it's a big penalty. Upping the fuel consumption to 10.5gph would yield you 117KTAS and 152KTAS respectively. This is all at mid weights (2200#), tables are not for MGW. Marketing numbers anyways.

At any rate, tapered wing PA-28s (post-'83 pants) do better per gallon than that; I know I used to own a WarriorDos that would beat those nmpg numbers at effectively the same 'block speed' with an O-320 driving a fixed prop.

I don't think it's worth the conversion over a C unless you're "stealing" it, when compared to today's 'eff this, I'm getting a boat and bolt-ons for the wife instead' prices that is :D
1709940837283.png

Back