How did he survive this accident? (Old Mishap)

AV8R_87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OC
Some years ago I found the picture below (can't even remember where). Thought it was a photoshop or some RC plane photographed at the right angle. Found it again recently and decided to do an image search for it. Not only I was able to find the name of the pilot involved in this mishap, but a video of the accident and a description of the aftermath.

It happened at the 2003 Haute Voltige Aerobatics Japan Grand Prix, held at the Motegi race track. He survived, needed a long hospital stay and got back in the air. According to a comment in the video, he participated in the 2017 World Aerobatic Championships. Pilot's name is Alexandre Krotov.

1709687939806.png

Video:

Some more details and a fundraiser that was being run at the time: https://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=5cc1a2cc-2942-4622-9cf9-6b46acbbc5b8

I can't explain how someone managed to survive this crash. Man must be built like a tank.

A lot of energy was dissipated by all the parts that came from together on the aircraft.

Wow, it’s almost like he was trying to hit something or cut a wire.

Hitting the gravel and 'soft' wall in the track overrun helped with the survival factors.

Back