What's For Dinner?

Or try walking tacos.

When I was a kid we called these frito pies no matter what kind of chips were used. If mom would have called it a taco salad we would have refused to eat it... :yesnod:

Lately it’s been, “Where do you want to go for dinner?” “I dunno; what do we have a coupon for?”

When I was a kid we called these frito pies no matter what kind of chips were used. If mom would have called it a taco salad we would have refused to eat it... :yesnod:

If we put lettuce on Frito pie, mom would likely drop us on our heads to fix us.

grilled chicken salad

IMG_4473.jpg

chocolate pie

IMG_4474.jpg

and another busy night at CLT. hope these mofos get out of my way, comin' thru!

IMG_4475.PNG

I was wondering who here was old enough to remember Grandpa... :lol:
I remember the show vividly, but I assumed it was from seeing reruns. Turns out it aired well into the 90s. I had no idea. I know my parents watched it religiously, so I'm sure I was exposed to it regularly for the first decade of my life. Explains a lot actually.

Ironically, my dad has turned into "grandpa", feeling the need to describe every meal he eats in agonizing detail.

I remember the show vividly, but I assumed it was from seeing reruns. Turns out it aired well into the 90s. I had no idea. I know my parents watched it religiously, so I'm sure I was exposed to it regularly for the first decade of my life. Explains a lot actually.

Ironically, my dad has turned into "grandpa", feeling the need to describe every meal he eats in agonizing detail.
I remember when it originally aired. When the Tv cable only provides 9 channels, there is not much choice on what folks get to watch...

And to let folks know,

I am eating oatmeal for breakfast, plain, covered with honey,

It hasn't much taste but it doesn't cost much money...

I remember when it originally aired. When the Tv cable only provides 9 channels, there is not much choice on what folks get to watch...

And to let folks know,

I am eating oatmeal for breakfast, plain, covered with honey,

It hasn't much taste but it doesn't cost much money...
9! We just had CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and later, FOX

I was always so mad that my parents were too cheap to pay for cable. Now that I have kids, there's still nothing worthwhile on TV and they're mad at me for not paying for all the streaming services. The circle of life.

Made this for the first time last night:

Chicken Marsala

You don't need the tapioca flour, you could use cornstarch, or just not bother. You will have to go to the liquor store for a bottle of Marsala, it's not real common these days.

There are lots of recipes for this, this one is on the simpler side, and we both thought it was really good.

Made this the other day. I was skeptical the first time I made it but it's gotten put into the rotation. Curry Chicken and broccoli

Platejoy used to be a fun app to come up with new meals and would even give you the grocery list. But since they sold, things became way more limited.

I (unfortunately) have lots of "favorite" meals. The one thing I can say about all of those favorites, and the less-than-favorites: not that they always taste "better" -- but they always have an irreplicable flavor that makes them better than they otherwise are -- when someone else cooks them.

make your favorite mac n cheese. add lobster meat. yum.

You're younger than me and I have no idea who grandpa is. My mom watched lots of MASH, I Dream of Genie and Gilligan's Island. At least that's all I remember. The TV wasn't on a whole lot in our house. We didn't get cable until I was 17 in the mid-90s. We had moved to Texas and we only got it so we could get WGN and still watch the Cubs play (read: lose).

I remember being the remote control in the early 90s. TV with a knob to change the channel. My grandparents had a c-band satellite dish. Massive.

I remember being the remote control in the early 90s. TV with a knob to change the channel.
Lol yep. The vcr had a remote control though....a corded remote control. Actually.... Now that I think about it, that was a great idea. Never needs batteries and you can't lose it.

make your favorite mac n cheese. add lobster meat. yum.
Pilot Pete's has Lobster Nachos. Muy Bien.

Tonight I made elk sirloin and mushroom risotto. Beef would probably work too. A bit much for a single guy on a thursday, but I was in a mood.

Marry-me-chicken. It's my favorite, and it really is "marry me" good!

Cuban Picadillo. It's almost like Sloppy Joe's, but not really.

Made a red curry last night (with chicken). A bit spicier than Margy likes it, but she ate it.'

Sometime later this week, I'll probably whiz up some pasta dough in the Cuisinart Mini-Prep, roll it out and cut it into linguini. Maybe prepare it a la aglio e olio.
OK, so I lied. Decided instead to whip up the pasta dough with a fork like an Italian grandmother. Also discovered some marinara in the freezer to go along with it.

My wife just printed out a recipe called "sheet pan chicken fajitas." I'll let you know how it goes.

make your own meatballs and sauce for a meatball parm samich nomnom

9! We just had CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and later, FOX
Youngsters! When I grew up, there was no such thing as Cable TV. We had three channels with decent reception: ABC, CBS, and NBC. No color TV, either, until I was about 12. It was not that we couldn't afford it... it didn't exist yet!

Oh the horror of the 1950s!

-Skip

No color TV, either, until I was about 12. It was not that we couldn't afford it... it didn't exist yet!

My parents got their first color Tv in 1983. With a remote.!! I had graduated HS years earlier.

But they kept the remote on top of the Tv. To change channels someone had to get up, cross the room, grab the remote and change channels, then put the remote back on top of the Tv and go back to their seat.

I think the reason they finally got a color tv was because they could not find a B&W tv...

My parents got their first color Tv in 1983. With a remote.!! I had graduated HS years earlier.

But they kept the remote on top of the Tv. To change channels someone had to get up, cross the room, grab the remote and change channels, then put the remote back on top of the Tv and go back to their seat.

I think the reason they finally got a color tv was because they could not find a B&W tv...

Our channel changer looked something like this one:

1709585348985.png

Youngsters! When I grew up, there was no such thing as Cable TV. We had three channels with decent reception: ABC, CBS, and NBC. No color TV, either, until I was about 12. It was not that we couldn't afford it... it didn't exist yet!

Oh the horror of the 1950s!

-Skip
I think we got our first color tv around '59. My stepfather wanted to see the brand on the opening of Bonanza go up in flames in color.
Then there was "The wonderful world of Disney".

Chicken fried steak tonight. Looking forward to it. Teresa made it a few weeks ago. It was delicious, but a little tough as she didn't pound out the cube steaks much. She thinned them out more this time, and the meat is from the steer my friend raised, so I'm expecting great things.

Tonight is Mexican Monday. Probably burritos. There is hamburger thawing out and hella tortillas in the pantry. Or, mucho tortillas rather. Well there actually are a lot, so maybe hella mucho.

Pasta and marina sauce but kicked up with some smoked, pulled pork.

1 lb Choice Sirloin steak (from a local butcher) with homemade strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Back