I hope none of you were waiting for the Apple electric car...

Nope. Have not been waiting for it.
Bought my Tesla in 2020 and have enjoyed every minute of driving it.

They realized that they could not compete with Tesla for the nerdiest car on the market.

I really like, when my wife is driving the car without me, that I can go into the app and play the fart sounds for her. It keeps the MIL in line.

I'm going to assume that it was because their focus groups showed that people didn't want a car with a proprietary charging interface and a price tag that was twice that of competing products for no discernable reason.

what a shame...

Darn... I was waiting to see how long Foreflight would last before I had to upgrade the hardware, i.e. get a new car

I'm going to assume that it was because their focus groups showed that people didn't want a car with a proprietary charging interface and a price tag that was twice that of competing products for no discernable reason.
They also had planned updates to slow the car down in order to force you to buy a new one.

In all seriousness, this shows just how hard it is to make a working EV. It’s just tech, but even Apple couldn’t make it work, despite subsidies. Ford is reportedly scaling back, and Toyota is publicly trashing the idea.

OTOH, Cushman and EZGO have been doing it for decades!

In all seriousness, this shows just how hard it is to make a working EV. It’s just tech, but even Apple couldn’t make it work, despite subsidies. Ford is reportedly scaling back, and Toyota is publicly trashing the idea.

OTOH, Cushman and EZGO have been doing it for decades!
I doubt it's as much about the "E" part of it, as it is about the "V" part of it. Making cell phones and other wearables is one thing. Manufacturing something more complex than an iMac takes a whole new level of quality control and manufacturing techniques. It's not something Apple can just sub-out easily to a factory in China (although it could be done). Sometimes the idea that you could do something outweighs the "is this the best use of our resources/capital" for a given company. Apple probably got through their analysis on expected costs an ROIC and decided making cars was too far outside their wheelhouse.

No surprise. EV car sales are in decline, even in Canada where the gov’t pushes their agenda for those vehicles like crazy. High cost of production + declining consumer interest. At this point, the only reason for them to continue would be for optics but it wouldn’t be a wise business decision.

No surprise. EV car sales are in decline, even in Canada where the gov’t pushes their agenda for those vehicles like crazy. High cost of production + declining consumer interest. At this point, the only reason for them to continue would be for optics but it wouldn’t be a wise business decision.
I don't understand the appeal of EV, and I'll make some people here mad, but I think all of the Tesla's are ugly and outdated designs. Even the recent story that claimed the Model Y was the best selling car in the world turned out to be false data from Elon himself.

By the way, of all the ugly Teslas out there, the Model Y is the ugliest! My friend has one and loves it, but who in their right mind would design an SUV that looks like a melted down Pontiac Aztec, and put gull-wing doors on it... but only in the back? I'll never understand the appeal.

I don't understand the appeal of EV, and I'll make some people here mad, but I think all of the Tesla's are ugly and outdated designs. Even the recent story that claimed the Model Y was the best selling car in the world turned out to be false data from Elon himself.

By the way, of all the ugly Teslas out there, the Model Y is the ugliest! My friend has one and loves it, but who in their right mind would design an SUV that looks like a melted down Pontiac Aztec, and put gull-wing doors on it... but only in the back? I'll never understand the appeal.

I’m with you on this. EVs aren’t my cup of tea. I even put some effort into liking them, renting different EVs on my travels but didn’t like the experience with any of them, including Teslas.

And I understand the manufacturing efficiency motive, but I am really turned off by the complete lack of gauges and buttons, replaced only with a centrally-located tablet. No thanks.

I’m with you on this. EVs aren’t my cup of tea. I even put some effort into liking them, renting different EVs on my travels but didn’t like the experience with any of them, including Teslas.
My friend's Subaru was in the shop, so he rented an EV. He went from Austin to San Angelo, TX to see his parents and it was telling him it was 17 miles to the nearest charging station and he had 17 miles left on the battery! He made it, but it convinced him that he doesn't want one.

Personally, I'd like to see an EV model that had a whole lot less "technology", and simply provides a basic driving experience without self-driving, auto-brake, lane-keeping, adaptive cruise, WiFi, and all of the other cr@p that I turn off immediately whenever I pick up a rental car.

Personally, I'd like to see an EV model that had a whole lot less "technology", and simply provides a basic driving experience without self-driving, auto-brake, lane-keeping, adaptive cruise, WiFi, and all of the other cr@p that I turn off immediately whenever I pick up a rental car.

That nearly describes the Chevy Bolt which I thought was a great little EV.

Darn... I was waiting to see how long Foreflight would last before I had to upgrade the hardware, i.e. get a new car
That would take one heck of a yoke mount...

Pre-ordered already
Where’s mine?
Jk lol

Their AI headset cost more than my first car, like many times more :p

but who in their right mind would design an SUV that looks like a melted down Pontiac Aztec, and put gull-wing doors on it... but only in the back? I'll never understand the appeal.

I am glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this way. Tesla leads the pack on cookie cutter styling, and there are a lot of cookie cutter styles out there.

Why not style a few to look like a '57 Chevy or a '70 Plymouth Superbird.??

I think there was an initial rush of EV buyers who would have bought pretty much any EV no matter what, just because they’re EVs. There’s the Elon-worshipping contingent that bumps up Tesla sales. I’m not being critical here, it just is what it is. At one time even I thought I might be interested in a Tesla, until I rode in a friend’s. That fixed it for me.

But eventually people are going to hold off until the range and recharge issues - whether they are perceived or real for those particular people - are overcome. Maybe we’ve gotten there now.

I’m sure we’ll eventually see EVs with long enough range and fast enough recharge times, at charging stations that are available enough, to appeal to the majority of buyers. We’re just not there yet, and likely won’t be for quite some time. Meanwhile there will still be buyers for some number of Teslas and Mach Es and all the rest, but I wouldn’t bet an existing non-EV company on widespread demand quite yet.

Where did you hear that from? Several reports show that the Model Y had the title last year.

I am glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this way. Tesla leads the pack on cookie cutter styling, and there are a lot of cookie cutter styles out there.

Why not style a few to look like a '57 Chevy or a '70 Plymouth Superbird.??
Lol, Superbird. Cool muscle car built for a specific purpose, not particularly attractive with the bird beak nose and giant wing on the back compared to other similar-era choices. I'd stick with the Roadrunner/SuperBee if you're going that direction. A '57 Chevy isn't exactly the most aerodynamic thing out there, either, so I doubt EV makers are going to line up to design poor aerodynamics which negatively impact battery range at this point. Tesla should have built the new Gen Roadster by now.

Where did you hear that from? Several reports show that the Model Y had the title last year.

There are just as many articles saying it's not true. I started looking into it because it didn't pass the smell test. Seems like he's adding in production numbers, not just sales. Same thing all car makers do. Ford says the F-150 is the best selling pickup in Texas. It's true. It's only true because GM decided to build a Silverado and a Sierra, which are essentially the same truck. Combine the two, they're the leader.

Autoweek

There are just as many articles saying it's not true. I started looking into it because it didn't pass the smell test. Seems like he's adding in production numbers, not just sales. Same thing all car makers do. Ford says the F-150 is the best selling pickup in Texas. It's true. It's only true because GM decided to build a Silverado and a Sierra, which are essentially the same truck. Combine the two, they're the leader.

Autoweek
Doesn’t past the smell test because you just don’t see many of them in Texas. This car is popular around the world.

Lol, Superbird. Cool muscle car built for a specific purpose, not particularly attractive with the bird beak nose and giant wing on the back compared to other similar-era choices.
In 1986 I had a chance to buy a 1970 Plymouth Superbird survivor for 15K. Unfortunately I was 14,999 dollars short... 20 years later I saw it for sale again, this time for 200K, and it had not been restored. Last I heard it was in a private collection in central Texas.

Now that's what I'm talking about.!!

In 1986 I had a chance to buy a 1970 Plymouth Superbird survivor for 15K. Unfortunately I was 14,999 dollars short... 20 years later I saw it for sale again, this time for 200K, and it had not been restored. Last I heard it was in a private collection in central Texas.

Now that's what I'm talking about.!!
Yeah, the Superbirds values skyrocketed in value in the late 90's and have kept going into the stratosphere. I believe there have been a few HEMI-equipped versions that went for over $1MM. With only 2,000 or so made, they are in pretty rare territory as it is.

Their AI headset cost more than my first car, like many times more :p

Ha! Mine too. Bought a 1985 Honda Prelude for $1000 back in college. Had a tape deck and everything. At least it was stick!

TIL today: Purchasing a vehicle means you worship the CEO of the company. Does that only count if you buy it new? Asking for a friend.

TIL today: Purchasing a vehicle means you worship the CEO of the company. Does that only count if you buy it new? Asking for a friend.
You're buying a Ferrari? :cool:

Yes, absolute worshippment is required plus sacrificing an animal for the goodwill of the mechanical and electrical gods.

When Gilles Villeneuve was driving for Ferrari, he told Enzo that it would be better for all of them if he were the Pope, because then they'd only have to kiss his ring.

Back