Concerns about flying while using an SSRI.

A

Anon

A few years ago this person was diagnosed with a mild GAD, and prescribed 25mg of sertraline to help treat it. This was after they received their first class and were currently flying.

However, here is the main concern. This person continued to fly while on the medication, including taking and passing check rides. This was the result of a misunderstanding of the convoluted regs surrounding medication. Because it was an "allowed" medication this pilot assumed it was okay to take it while flying without approval. However, after flying for a while the pilot called an AME for a consultation and mentioned it, this was when they learned they weren't allowed to take the medication while flying. The pilot had not considered it, they had no poor side effects from the medication, and both their therapist and primary physician were perfectly okay with them flying, saying there was absolutely no risk, and the pilot agreed.

The pilot has since still been on the medication for over 6 months and has had repeated checkups to discuss progress.

But here is the main concern, the pilot believes they should have no issue getting a special issuance. However, they are worried about their flying history whilst on the medication. They would rather not hide the medication, but ignorance is no defense. If the pilot goes to get a special issuance, its likely the FAA will find out their history. They want to decide before they retake their medical.

TLDR;
Pilot has been prescribed 25mg zoloft for mild GAD.
Pilot has been flying for over 6 months while taking the medication.
Pilot wants to know what risks there are to seeking a special issuance before they renew their medical, mainly concerning their flying history.

Go Basic Med. If your doc is Ok and signs you off, you are good to go. Even the new kinder SSRI regs are a gauntlet to get through while on an approved SSRI.

Go Basic Med. If your doc is Ok and signs you off, you are good to go. Even the new kinder SSRI regs are a gauntlet to get through while on an approved SSRI.
Aiming for piloting as a career, so first class is my only option.

A few years ago this person was diagnosed with a mild GAD, and prescribed 25mg of sertraline to help treat it. This was after they received their first class and were currently flying.
Because it was an "allowed" medication this pilot assumed it was okay to take it while flying without approval. However, after flying for a while the pilot called an AME for a consultation and mentioned it, this was when they learned they weren't allowed to take the medication while flying.
The pilot has since still been on the medication for over 6 months and has had repeated checkups to discuss progress.

They would rather not hide the medication, but ignorance is no defense. If the pilot goes to get a special issuance, its likely the FAA will find out their history. They want to decide before they retake their medical.
I'm not seeing the ignorance. This person was told he couldn't fly while on the medication and continued flying for six months. So forget about ignorance. That's wilful.
Aiming for piloting as a career, so first class is my only option.
Your only option or "this person's" only option?

Tell your friend to stop flying, get with an AME for a consult, and figure out how to get a valid medical while being truthful on MedXpress. The good news for your friend is that he hasn't yet lied to the FAA, and the medical branch doesn't know that he's been flying while on the medication.

Thats what seems like a stretch. An HIMS would certainly know. But thank you for the response.
What is an HIMS?

The only way anyone's going to know is if you tell them or they notice the dates of your check rides. But it's really immaterial because you'll have to disclose the drug and diagnosis on your next medical application. So if basic need doesn't work for you, you're gonna have to bite the bullet. You might as well get the ball rolling and consult a good hard-case AME.

Last edited:
What is an HIMS?

The only way anyone's going to know is if you tell them or they notice the dates of your check rides. But it's really immaterial because you'll have to disclose the drug and diagnosis on your next medical application. You might as well get the ball rolling.
You make a good point

Oh brother.
If he applies & omits that is a class 4 felony.
He didn’t have basic at the time of his checkrides= revocations when they compare the dates of Rxs vs dates of checkrides.

Needs to get under board certified psychiatry care (no casual PCP rx-ing) so we can tell if enough risk factors are present…to know if he’s an on SSRI, vs decision path 1, is doable for him.

B

The pilot had not considered it, they had no poor side effects from the medication, and both their therapist and primary physician were perfectly okay with them flying, saying there was absolutely no risk, and the pilot agreed.

There's a pitfall there.

The typical therapist and/or primary care physician usually has NO IDEA what the FAA considers "OK" for flying. The pilot should know that even though a drug that has been approved during a medical application it doesn't mean that it can be taken while acting as PIC. There are lots of prescription and over the counter medications which have specific time frames between taking the medication and acting as PIC, and they expect the pilot to know that and adhere to the time frame.

With a goal to be a revenue pilot I don't see any avenue except to come clean with the AME and get it sorted out with the FAA. Better to find a problem now than find it after you go through the training and get hired to fly.

Needs to get under board certified psychiatry care (no casual PCP rx-ing) so we can tell if enough risk factors are present…to know if he’s an on SSRI, vs decision path 1, is doable for him.

B
Thanks for the info, do you mind explaining this part above in a bit more detail?

Maybe? Truthiness seems to be a potential issue in this case. Maybe it was a harmless, "Asking for a friend," kind of thing. :dunno:
I don't see any way of knowing whether any answer given was true or false.

I don't see any way of knowing whether any answer given was true or false.
Well, he tried to plead ignorance despite the fact that his own timeline disproves it, and the implied question in the OP is whether he should lie on his medical application.

Well, he tried to plead ignorance despite the fact that his own timeline disproves it, and the implied question in the OP is whether he should lie on his medical application.
I doubt people here would advise to lie on the medical. The important information is how to go about doing this properly to avoid unnecessary trouble, and minimize risk.

I was talking about his answer to the question, "Your only option or "this person's" only option?"

This was after they received their first class and were currently flying.

This person continued to fly while on the medication, including taking and passing check rides.

However, they are worried about their flying history whilst on the medication.
Check rides. Here’s what I’d be worried about. Once you start studying for your first commercial you have no excuse for being confused by this reg. And you clearly didn’t stop flying even once you realized your mistake (giving you the benefit of the doubt). By my reading of your statement you continued flying after you knew that you shouldn’t be. I personally wouldn’t want to have put myself in the position of having to explain that decision.

I read it as he did stop flying. Either way, very bluntly - The issue of checkrides/certificate issuance is never going to come up or be an issue, ever.

Check rides. Here’s what I’d be worried about. Once you start studying for your first commercial you have no excuse for being confused by this reg. And you clearly didn’t stop flying even once you realized your mistake (giving you the benefit of the doubt). By my reading of your statement you continued flying after you knew that you shouldn’t be. I personally wouldn’t want to have put myself in the position of having to explain that decision.
You are right. To try to explain the reasoning, there are two parts, first, a GAD is not disqualifying. Second, Zoloft is an "allowed" medication. The first inclination is that "okay, Zoloft has a side effect of drowsy-ness, so I need to ground myself to make sure it won't effect my flying."
The issue seemed to simply be that when I re-did my medical, I would have to check that box that states I have had a mental diagnosis in the past.

There really just wasn't a lot of research done beforehand. Even when the AME mentioned it was not allowed, it still seemed like a minor issue.

It was certainly the wrong decision, what I need to know is what may result from it, and how it could be solved.

If you tell the faa you’re going to be putting yourself in a really bad position. Probably grounded for about a year (at least). Talk to an aviation attorney because the faa will only find out about the Zoloft if you disclose it.

......because the faa will only find out about the Zoloft if you disclose it.

Or if the AME he consulted discloses it (and the AME is probably obligated to do so). Or if the FAA lurkers on POA ask the mods for the airman's IP address. Or if they query the Rx database. Or if.....

Just how many mouse clicks do you think are required? Is it worth risking a felony conviction on a few mouse clicks?

If you tell the faa you’re going to be putting yourself in a really bad position. Probably grounded for about a year (at least). Talk to an aviation attorney because the faa will only find out about the Zoloft if you disclose it.
Considering my intent to be a career pilot, hiding my medical info is too much of a risk, more than I want to take. Especially nowadays where everything is connected in online databases. Being grounded for a year is not a huge issue for me right now. Being grounded for a year a decade from now would be devastating. So I want to be crystal clean now, even if it takes a while.

Slightly off topic, In curiosity, I didn’t think the FAA pulled anything more than what you can get with a drivers license. Like a DUI, or controlled substance which a SSRI is not.

I understand if they are tipped off, they can investigate a person, but otherwise it would never flag if not self reported?

Slightly off topic, In curiosity, I didn’t think the FAA pulled anything more than what you can get with a drivers license. Like a DUI, or controlled substance which a SSRI is not.

I understand if they are tipped off, they can investigate a person, but otherwise it would never flag if not self reported?
The FAA generally doesn't pull anything unless it has a reason to. It has, however, regularly checked disability records. That's not to say it can't do something different in the future. But intentionally concealing material information required to be disclosed is a crime.

That's a false assumption. There's a back door discovery that occurs when the FAA requests medical records for an unrelated problem and the medical record provided (usually electronic) includes a list of medications. When that does happen the airman has waved a red flag in front of the bull, and the bull has unlimited resources to find additional information.

Are you suggesting that the airman lie? Because felony.

Back