Europe - Revamping an airfield on the Coast of Spain

TallyTwo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MJS
Hi everyone!

I hope you’re all doing well! I’m reaching out to this wonderful forumof aviation enthusiasts for some assistance.
As some of you may know, I’m currently involved in the renewal of a renowned airclub located in Europe, on the coast of Spain. We’re looking to revamp our facilities and enhance the overall experience for our members and visitors. Specially we would like this to be the Airclub of reference for General Aviation in Spain. A great destination for European flyers.

To gather some inspiration and ideas, I’m planning to visit a few other airfields and airclubs across the USA. I’d love to hear about your favorite spots and any recommendations you might have. We’re particularly interested in learning about infrastructures, design elements, and amenities that make your clubs stand out.
We are trying to benchmark the airfield: rwy, taxiway, ramp, fuel station, etc.. and also the airclub: bike rentals, amenities for pilots, restaurant, concierge, web/public documentation and so on.

In Europe, currently, I’m planning to visit Portoroz, Annemasse, and Le Castellet, but I’m open to exploring other suggestions you may have here as well.

Please share you favourite airfields and airclubs in the USA that we may use for inspiration and reference.

Your input and insights would be incredibly valuable to us as we embark on this exciting journey. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Best regards,

I think that depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You can go with a basic design for an FBO/pilot's lounge and some plane tiedowns. Or you can add a restaurant, coffee shop, car rentals, a museum, campground, motel/hotel, etc.

I would first do some market research and see what would draw European pilots, then go from there.
One very unique thing that I think would be great is to build bungalows with private plane parking in the front. Of course, the bungalow would have a balcony to enjoy the views of your plane and other airport operations.

I think that depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You can go with a basic design for an FBO/pilot's lounge and some plane tiedowns. Or you can add a restaurant, coffee shop, car rentals, a museum, campground, motel/hotel, etc.

I would first do some market research and see what would draw European pilots, then go from there.
One very unique thing that I think would be great is to build bungalows with private plane parking in the front. Of course, the bungalow would have a balcony to enjoy the views of your plane and other airport operations.
Hi,
Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Do you have any favourite FBO to get some inspiration?
We already have a restaurant (that will be overhauled), camping for RV, hotel nearby and of course the beach 3 mins by walk. About the bungalows, it is difficult at this time because the terrain belongs to the city hall and they won't allow to build residential houses.
I have consulted with some fellow EU pilots and they have recommended some airfields in FR and DE and I already planned to visit them.

C'mon guys, share your favourite places! :)

Not sure if you have tiny homes in Spain, but you could just buy those and keep them on their trailer, so may not be considered new construction or housing.
In terms of favorite FBOs, I cannot recommend any that have lots of good features. Some of them have 1-2 good features. Fore example, McMinville in OR has a great museum within walking distance. Lewiston, ID has a golf course right outside. I have been to many FBOs in the US, Canada, and the Caribbean, and not really sure what you are looking for.

Your input and insights would be incredibly valuable to us as we embark on this exciting journey.
While visiting those other airfields/airclubs in Europe, see how they deal with maintenance support for their area. Unfortunately, with the way EASA structures maintenance services for private, small aircraft I can't offer any input. However, if you plan to be the "reference destination" in Spain, I would think some sort of basic aircraft maintenance services available for your guests would be a great selling point for you.

Back