Youtube Pilot and her dad perish in TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reload ammunition for my target shooting habit and regularly buy lead bullets in lots of 500 or so. There is always a paper warning "Do not eat!"
They do look so delicious though... especially the copper plated ones.... :biggrin:

I'll add.... knife warning on avocados so that people don't stab their hands trying to get the pit out with a knife.

Yes they are that stupid. And then they sue because the manual didn't tell them to not do that.
Is this related to percentage/proportionate liability when it comes to accidents like the zoo was found 25% liable because they didn't have a gate high enough to prevent that parent from holding their kid on the their shoulder? That child subsequently fell off her shoulder into the enclosure.

But hey, who among us hasn't embarked on a VFR XC flight on a CAVU day and gotten lost moments after takeoff only to do multiple 360s over the airport to figure out the right direction to go?
Never

Note the time and then fly a heading on your DI/HSI. Basic nav..

My comment should have included a sarcasm tag :D It is basic nav indeed and unfathomable someone could get lost so quickly.

Never been lost but there have been a couple of times I was uncertain of my exact location ... :dunno:

It's alleged that Einstein once said Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
Perhaps that's relevant in this accident.

Daniel Boone is reputed to have said, "I've never been lost; but once I was bewildered for 12 days..."

I’m

I see your arguments, I’m just finding it very hard to grasp that someone could be that clueless. This is fairly simple stuff. I guess I’m at a loss here.
She was lost, *over* I-40. Which she and her dad were familiar with. With him saying “that’s I-40”, and with a 50-50 shot, on a beautiful day, picked the wrong direction.

Country folks talk about “city slickers”, sometimes even appropriately. I have no idea how two lifelong East Tennesseans could get so lost. The high mountains, NC/TN line? That’s east. The Big River almost directly below them, just S of the departure airport in the “lost” video- that’s the Tennessee. Clear which way it flows (west) because of location of watts bar dam. Again, follow the river, upstream. The sun, in afternoon- SW.

It's alleged that Einstein once said Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
Perhaps that's relevant in this accident.
Einstein wrote the forward to a book by Lincoln Barnett which attributed that viewpoint to him, so there would seem to be a good chance that the statement was at least in accord with his views.

She was lost, *over* I-40. Which she and her dad were familiar with. With him saying “that’s I-40”, and with a 50-50 shot, on a beautiful day, picked the wrong direction.

Country folks talk about “city slickers”, sometimes even appropriately. I have no idea how two lifelong East Tennesseans could get so lost. The high mountains, NC/TN line? That’s east. The Big River almost directly below them, just S of the departure airport in the “lost” video- that’s the Tennessee. Clear which way it flows (west) because of location of watts bar dam. Again, follow the river, upstream. The sun, in afternoon- SW.
I remember one night flight originating in the Monterey Bay area, on which my passenger had a better sense of direction than I did. (I probably should have married that woman!) :blush:

I don't think she knew runway headings were aligned with magnetic headings. On some of her videos she would have to fly near a runway to verify the number... That's probably why she didn't know what direction to go after she was airborne and turned around :-(

Spatial intelligence is required. It doesn't come naturally to everyone.
I agree with this because I was so paranoid while learning that I would be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Here in Florida from where I live west is the gulf. Even now, whenever I fly to a new place, I make sure to visually check on Foreflight which way i'm coming from. Hell I even got a 3d visualization of the runway and runway lines.

Yes they are that stupid. And then they sue because the manual didn't tell them to not do that.

I remember looking at the manual for a new pistol. Inside front cover in BOLD black on an orange back ground. "Warning, manipulating the trigger may cause a bullet to be expelled at high velocity that could injure or kill a person or damage or destroy items."

Well DUH. I hope so. That is what is supposed to do.
And, still, people leave them on their bedside table for the kids to find...

When I was a kid I had one friend that was always everyone’s preference for sleep overs. His step dad had all the descrambler chips in his satellite, an unlocked liquor cabinet and a humidor full of cigars. We would stay awake all night watching movies, sipping whiskey and smoking cigars. All of us pretending we were not about to puke. It was good times.

When I was a kid I had one friend that was always everyone’s preference for sleep overs. His step dad had all the descrambler chips in his satellite, an unlocked liquor cabinet and a humidor full of cigars. We would stay awake all night watching movies, sipping whiskey and smoking cigars. All of us pretending we were not about to puke. It was good times.
I guess we didn't have the house in our neighborhood. Had to cobble it together a vice at a time from various houses.

Yeah. Need more of them. Or a way to keep the morons from endangering their kids.
Morons are going to endanger their kids in sundry ways whether you try to invent ways to stop them or not. Maybe they give them fentanyl to get them to stop crying. Maybe they think chucking an ipad at the kid every hour they're awake is "parenting". Maybe they let their kids run with the wrong crowds, because it's "just a phase" until their children become criminals and it's too late to protect them. Maybe they don't monitor their children's internet activity and they end up victims of pedophiles or kidnappers.

The only way to protect a child from a moronic parent is to remove them from that parent's sphere of influence. That's why child protective services exist. No comment on its effectiveness at protecting children, but that is why it exists.

Fortunately there are still people that teach their children proper firearm safety.
And unfortunately like my sister's ex bf.... There's some that aren't taught and want to show off their handgun to their friends at a party. Drop the clip and pull the trigger...not realizing one was in the chamber and killing your friend who was standing directly in front.

Any one ever drive a early 60's ford, withe starter switch on the floor, pushing clutch, with left foot, mashing starter switch, and manage gas pedal with right foot, adjusting choke with one hand. It was a contortionist dream.

No, but I have set the spark advance on the steering hub, slid the shaft of the starting mechanism through a hole in the grill to engage the tang in the slot of the crankshaft pulley bolt and given it a good, hard pull.

Yeap.

I grew up in such a household. I would no more "play" with a real gun that I would a live rattlesnake.
Yeah well the part of my story upthread left untold was that guys step dad had an unlocked display cabinet full of guns. None of us much cared. We all had hunting long guns of various types and target pistols of our own. No need to “play” with anyone’s guns.

Kids universally want what they are not allowed to have. Just the way it works. After all, if its hidden under lock and key it must be worth having…

We all had hunting long guns of various types and target pistols of our own. No need to “play” with anyone’s guns.
:yeahthat:

No point in locking up guns when @2-Bit Speed was a kid; he had his own anyway. And before that he was already going to the range with me, and learning safe handling with toy guns.

Morons are going to endanger their kids in sundry ways whether you try to invent ways to stop them or not. Maybe they give them fentanyl to get them to stop crying. Maybe they think chucking an ipad at the kid every hour they're awake is "parenting". Maybe they let their kids run with the wrong crowds, because it's "just a phase" until their children become criminals and it's too late to protect them. Maybe they don't monitor their children's internet activity and they end up victims of pedophiles or kidnappers.

The only way to protect a child from a moronic parent is to remove them from that parent's sphere of influence. That's why child protective services exist. No comment on its effectiveness at protecting children, but that is why it exists.
Fentynal is illegal and actively policed.
Beating a child with an ipad is illegal and actively policed.
Letting your kids run with a bad crowd is something that's taught against in school. So all non-homeschooled kids at least get some education on this.
Online grooming is illegal and actively policed.

So your examples consist of one thing that kids do get an education about and three things that are harmful, so we made them illegal and police them. In other words, there has been a government response to all of them. Should we assume that you are implying you would support gun education, maybe including some form of serious safety training? And that if guns are not secured, that the morons parent(s) be tried for manslaughter or whatever is appropriate for a given shooting?

172andyou had to chime in with his personal ideology that no one asked for.
Nah, bro. Someone implied that warnings about firearms weren't needed because everyone knew they were dangerous. Evidence suggests otherwise.

Nah, bro. Someone implied that warnings about firearms weren't needed because everyone knew they were dangerous. Evidence suggests otherwise.
Nobody said that .. you made that up to put up a snowflake argument. We teach our children better than that to start with. Try it ... it works!

How did we get to gun arguments from youtube idiocy?

Like this:

@172andyou answered this statement
I remember looking at the manual for a new pistol. Inside front cover in BOLD black on an orange back ground. "Warning, manipulating the trigger may cause a bullet to be expelled at high velocity that could injure or kill a person or damage or destroy items."

by writing this

Which was an unrelated statement having nothing to do with reading manuals. So why that response? Well,... :stirpot:

And so the downward spiral began.... :mad2:

No, my point was that the warning told you that the firearm does what it is designed to do. Like warning tht if you start your car and put it in gear with the brake off, it may move.

Which was an unrelated statement having nothing to do with reading manuals.
Read a little further back and you'll see that it was in the context of people having differing levels of common sense. Some, indeed, seeming to have none and resulting in the need for warnings that seem obvious to many.

ROTFL That's awesome. You actually believe that the printed warning mentioned is going to save someone from hurting themselves with a gun? Seriously? You think anybody so stupid that they don't know pulling the trigger on a gun will cause it to fire will actually read the book and learn said fact?

ROTFL That's awesome. You actually believe that the printed warning mentioned is going to save someone from hurting themselves with a gun? Seriously? You think anybody so stupid that they don't know pulling the trigger on a gun will cause it to fire will actually read the book and learn said fact?
Nah, I was pointing out that the reason such warnings exist is because there are some pretty moronic people in the world. Your beef is with the manufacturer if they think that minimal level of education will move the needle any. Of course it won't. It's more likely an attempt at liability management. "Well! We told you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back