RV 6 down concord.

The weather was about as good as it gets, so it shouldn’t be a factor unless it was carb icing (not knowing if this plane even has a carb).

This story is odd. ADSB looks like he did about zillion laps in the pattern. Vans Air Force users say that was *all* he did. Like, ever.

This story is odd. ADSB looks like he did about zillion laps in the pattern. Vans Air Force users say that was *all* he did. Like, ever.
@Dan Thomas , how does this type of usage affect engine longevity compared to more typical usage?

The weather was about as good as it gets, so it shouldn’t be a factor unless it was carb icing (not knowing if this plane even has a carb).
If it had an adequate carb heat setup to start with....

"The Van's Aircraft construction and operating manual states that one method of building the carburetor heat system is to 'run a 2-inch air hose from a heat muff and position it to feed into the alternative air inlet of the carburetor] air box,' which is the method by which the pilot constructed the airplane. According to the inspector, the 2-inch hose is not large enough to adequately supply enough heat to the carburetor to sufficiently melt the ice. "

DEN99LA062, RV-6A, 1999

Interesting to look at carb heat-related accidents in RVs. Out of 1998-2021, I see 17 cases...none of which involved RV-7s or -8s. About a third were RV-6s.

Looking at the registry about a third of the RV-7s are listed with fuel-injected engines, and an even higher percentage of RV-8s. Only about 12% of the RV-6s.

(Note: Check performed by looking at how many engine models began with "I". Actual percentage is probably a bit higher, since not every entry includes an engine type, or in a standardized format.)

Ron Wanttaja

Pretty sure I've been in the pattern with that dude at CCR. If it's the same RV I'm familiar with, EVERY landing was a zippy short approach. He seemed pretty good at them, although he got a generous amount of side-eye from me on the parallel as he darted about.

Shame.

That was echoed by a few locals in the Reddit thread (can't find it now... possibly deleted from r/flying.) They said he rarely left the pattern, did lots of short approaches, low altitude flying, zoom climbs, etc.

Guy definitely flew a very tight pattern.

Looks like he got pretty slow on the final climbout, compared to each pass that preceded it:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 18.20.17.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 18.20.17.png
    928.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 18.20.34.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 18.20.34.png
    537.3 KB · Views: 72
@Dan Thomas , how does this type of usage affect engine longevity compared to more typical usage?
Flight school airplanes do it all the time. Here in Canada, with some extra inspections, a commercial airplane can run an engine on-condition well past the normal TBO. We didn't, but those engines still had compressions in the high 70s and no metal in the filters when we pulled them at TBO.
If it had an adequate carb heat setup to start with....

"The Van's Aircraft construction and operating manual states that one method of building the carburetor heat system is to 'run a 2-inch air hose from a heat muff and position it to feed into the alternative air inlet of the carburetor] air box,' which is the method by which the pilot constructed the airplane. According to the inspector, the 2-inch hose is not large enough to adequately supply enough heat to the carburetor to sufficiently melt the ice.
Depends on the size of the engine. Cessna used 2-inch SCAT on their O-320s, No problems. That hose might be a bit small for an O-540.
Looks like he got pretty slow on the final climbout, compared to each pass that preceded it:
Which suggests he might have been trying to get max Vx, and got a power-on stall and spin instead.

His altitude seems to be 100+ feet lower than it was in previous laps, too. Lots of variables there - maybe he touched down further down the runway on his last landing, maybe it was a partial loss of power on climb out. Sure looks like he was making a desperate attempt to maintain his best angle of climb, like you said, or to not relinquish the altitude he had already gained. It looks like his airspeed was decaying rapidly without any increase in altitude toward the end, before he presumably stalls and makes that dive to his left.

Last edited:
Another thought: I wonder if we're looking at his attempt to make the impossible turn. Look how he departs from his typical path to the right, and then begins a turn to the left prior to his typical crosswind turn. All while he's trying to stretch the glide.

Back