Revoked license.

A J Smith

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JustBecause
My pilot's license was revoked several years ago. The FAA, later, gave me a student pilot license and said
to start over.
Several flight schools and CFIs would not sign me off for a check ride but would take my money.
What are your comments/suggestions on getting the PPL back?

why are they not signing you off for the checkride?
I guess I don't know how to use this forum.
Evidently there is a "stigma" attached to the revocation. They don't want to be "the one".

Find an instructor that doesn’t care about whatever the stigma is all about. That’s really all the useful your advice is going to be without spilling the beans on what caused the revocation. Shop around for the right CFI.

At what point in the training and certification process does a CFI learn about your past? Why would they and how would they? Start from scratch with a fresh logbook?

My pilot's license was revoked several years ago. The FAA, later, gave me a student pilot license and said
to start over.
Several flight schools and CFIs would not sign me off for a check ride but would take my money.
Why wouldn't they sign you off for the checkride? Taking your money sounds like they were "optimistic" but then realized something... It seems to me that you need to be up front about whatever it is that caused the revocation, and seriously listen to whatever it is that is causing them to refuse to sign you off for the checkride. That's my 2 cents as a CFI.

Looks like the revocation and failure to get a sign off could be intertwined.

I imagine your revocation wasn’t because you failed a ramp check. If your conduct was so egregious so as to get your ticket revoked, perhaps instructors don’t want the liability if it happens again. Conduct has consequence, for you & for the flight instructor who signs off on you if you screw the pooch. You are asking them to put their CFI, insurability, & income on the line by trusting you. What are you offering them in return?

to start over.
Why was it revoked?

Why wouldn't they sign you off for the checkride? Taking your money sounds like they were "optimistic" but then realized something... It seems to me that you need to be up front about whatever it is that caused the revocation, and seriously listen to whatever it is that is causing them to refuse to sign you off for the checkride. That's my 2 cents as a CFI.
:yeahthat:
That would be the same answer from this CFI.

We would not be flying with you if we thought the cause of revocation was still an issue.

If we wouldn't sign you off, we would be telling you why and/or what you need to do to get signed off.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Why do I suspect his pilot certificate was revoked for flying without a medical and while under a medical disability and his current training issues are age related?

“i had open heart surgery, triple bypass and cataracts (all resolved)“

Checkrides after revocation happen. We’ve had a few famous ones relatively recently.

I have no idea why a flight school would take your money, train you, have you solo, meet all the requirements and then not sign you off for a checkride because you had a revocation before they started training you. Unless, of course, they decided you did not have the skills to pass.

They’d be more likely not to start training you if the reason was serious enough for them to be concerned about it.

If you came to me with a logbook containing one entry for a discovery flight, a student license, and medical, how would I know about any revocation unless you told me or I really dug for it?

Why was your license revoked?

If you came to me with a logbook containing one entry for a discovery flight, a student license, and medical, how would I know about any revocation unless you told me or I really dug for it?

Why was your license revoked?

When a license is revoked, after 12 months the person is eligible to reapply for the certificates, but must start over and go through the sequence. However, previous log time remains. So for instance, the pilot wants his PPL, his log book already has all his requirements, so to take the checkride he needs to be current and have the required prep time, and of course the written passed.

If he previously held a instrument, then again his logbook contains the requirements already, so he needs a current written, and the required prep for the check ride.

No need to start a new log book and repeat all of the time requirements.

Why does he need to get the FSDO involved?
To figure out exactly what is going on. Linking him up with DPEs to discuss & review the matter. If the local DPEs would be reluctant, then why work up from the bottom? If the guy is having perceptions problem with local civilian flight instructors, then some advice from the top of the local licensure agency seems appropriate.

He needs a frank discussion about whether he’ll ever be granted a license. Only one local place to get that.

Here's the reason:

I thought Clip4 was joking.

To figure out exactly what is going on. Linking him up with DPEs to discuss & review the matter. If the local DPEs would be reluctant, then why work up from the bottom? If the guy is having perceptions problem with local civilian flight instructors, then some advice from the top of the local licensure agency seems appropriate.

He needs a frank discussion about whether he’ll ever be granted a license. Only one local place to get that.

First, he needs a CFI willing to sign him off for a check ride. The FAA cannot over ride a CFI decision, and will not if asked. If he does find a CFI that will sign him off, then he needs a DPE willing to conduct a check. Again, the FAA will not intervene and require a DPE to conduct a check if he doesn't want to.

The applicant can request the FAA conduct a check. He would have a good case for this if no DPE's are willing.

You don’t need to talk to FSDO to find DPEs in the area. And FSDO isn’t going to give any advice on how to get a signoff or pass the checkride other than “talk to your instructor”.

He needs more than a sign off. There has to be three hours of instruction in 90 days to meet.

When a license is revoked, after 12 months the person is eligible to reapply for the certificates, but must start over and go through the sequence. However, previous log time remains. So for instance, the pilot wants his PPL, his log book already has all his requirements, so to take the checkride he needs to be current and have the required prep time, and of course the written passed.

If he previously held a instrument, then again his logbook contains the requirements already, so he needs a current written, and the required prep for the check ride.

He needs more than a sign off. There has to be three hours of instruction in 90 days to meet.

Here's the reason:

I thought Clip4 was joking.
But that when he was a student... he says he had a PP that was revoked.

In my opinion as a CFI I must see the applicant perform all the maneuvers to standards before I should endorse someone for their practical test.

Depending on the situation that could take more than the required minimum three hours.
I believe that’s also the opinion of the FAA.

Do you perhaps turn off your ADSB and fly under a bridge. It has been known to happen.

The OP needs to consult with Martha Lunken on the proper way to address his problem. She has first hand data.

I understand that but if someone wanted to hide their past from their CFI, they could start a new logbook. Of course they would have to repeat the hours. As a CFI though, it it easy to tell if someone has 5 hours or 100.

I understand that but if someone wanted to hide their past from their CFI, they could start a new logbook. Of course they would have to repeat the hours.
Of course they might have a problem getting the IACRA sign off where I think they would need to be put for the FAA.

As usual, it appears that the OP has punched out on this thread when questions start being asked.

I wonder if he's telling the flight schools up front what his situation is, or they don't find out till it's time for him to take the checkride, and then they decided not to sign him off due to his lack of transparency.

As usual, it appears that the OP has punched out on this thread when questions start being asked.

I wonder if he's telling the flight schools up front what his situation is, or they don't find out till it's time for him to take the checkride, and then they decided not to sign him off due to his lack of transparency.
My guess is a lack of proficiency, but he won’t accept that.

My guess is a lack of proficiency, but he won’t accept that.
Way too many possibilities to even do a proper speculation.

This was interesting. Helpful and intuitive posts.
"Clip4" was the closest and we might have met recently.
Actually, the season for the revocation was flying between medical issuance.
I had re-applied for my 3rd class (SI) medical. I had an appointment so I had to fly to it.
Using a current sectional I proceeded to fly to the non-towered airport. When I got there
it was now a class D airport. (not shown on map as such)
Result, pilot licensed revoked for a year, then received the 3rd class medical from the FAA.
I was forthcoming to all of the instructors that I had encountered.

This was interesting. Helpful and intuitive posts.

Result, pilot licensed revoked for a year, then received the 3rd class medical from the FAA.
I was forthcoming to all of the instructors that I had encountered.
So, thanks for replying!

Were the instructors forthcoming about their decision(s) not to sign you off for the checkride?

Back