Thinking about an EV (nvm, bought one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
It was time for us to replace our AWD Ford Fusion due to some life circumstances, and it was getting older and was going to need some money to keep going... We were between a few vehicles, a new Jeep compass, a new Bronco Sport and a used AWD Ford Mach-E all fit the bill. After test driving them all, the Mach-E just felt like an entire different class of vehicle, more akin to driving a Porsche Cayenne or Audi Q5, than an EV Ford Escape which it really is. The acceleration was unreal, cabin comfort unrivalled with how quiet it is, and it handled very well for its size and weight.

I was torn for a bit between standard vs extended range, but it seems like added inefficiencies with extended range really just eat into that range and you don't get much extra for your money. For our "mission" the standard range works perfectly fine. Any trips that will require recharging will be fine to take a small break for food along the way... or in reality will be better suited for the ICE truck that we would have taken anyway.

To top it off, with declining gas prices and slow EV sales, the floor is dropping out on used EV pricing and we were able to pick up a "used" one for an incredible steal.

There's quite a bit to EV ownership, maybe more than I expected at least in the winter here. There's extra steps like pre-conditioning prior to winter drives, and some maintenance items I didn't expect like changing out the 12V battery every few years. I also am still going stir crazy waiting for my level 2 charger to arrive so I can get it wired up. Level 1 just isn't enough in these temperatures.

I'm taking things slow, especially until I have a level 2 charger at home. Figuring out how much range drops in the cold as well as getting around to trusting it not to strand us... but so far it's an absolute blast and couldn't be happier (though I am tired of this COLD). Will report back later once I've had it more than a day :).

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Although I'm a #gasolineforever person, I absolutely see the benefits and places where hybrids and full electric vehicles have a place, especially for commuters in a multiple-vehicle household that still has a conventional ICE vehicle as well.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it as an engineer and someone who isn't a Tesla KoolAid drinking fanboy. ;)

I'm not really in the market but I have noticed from the random Facebook Marketplace suggestions the prices on older EV's are really tanking. Will be curious to hear your feedback up there in the frozen north!

I'm not really in the market but I have noticed from the random Facebook Marketplace suggestions the prices on older EV's are really tanking. Will be curious to hear your feedback up there in the frozen north!
That's because the price of new EVs have been coming down so much. Who is going to pay more for a used EV than a new one?

It used to be that the anti-EV crowd complained because new ones cost too much. Now they complain because the price has come down too much.

Last edited:
Kudos for evaluating it in the deep freeze when EVs are at their worst. Seems like you're into it eyes wide open. :)

we were able to pick up a "used" one for an incredible steal.
For you or the seller.?? :lol:

Like Ted stated, I'll probably be gas/diesel forever, but I do like to keep up with what is going on with EV stuff.

The recent cool spell didn't help any towards converting me, especially since my diesel still started with bad glow plugs and the block heater shorting out.

Tanking compared to the inflated values that many used cars had recently? Like "tanking" to something like they normally would have been without a multi-year supply chain issue? Or tanking worse than that, to something more than a historically normal depreciation curve?

I get there is a market for EVs, but I'm not it. My daily commute may be 5 miles, but tomorrow I could up and go on a 1,000 mile road trip and don't want to experience battery anxiety. I also tow fairly often and actually use my truck as a truck. I don't have the budget to have two vehicles, so my one has to be the jack of all trades.

Tanking compared to the inflated values that many used cars had recently? Like "tanking" to something like they normally would have been without a multi-year supply chain issue? Or tanking worse than that, to something more than a historically normal depreciation curve?
Tanking in the same way other consumer electronics do. When something new and flashy comes along people want to dump last years tech.

I would never get an EV. Most of my missions are completely incompatible with and EV.

Good luck with the car. Cold sucks for EVs. Some more than others. I drove about 100 miles on Monday but it zapped 135 miles of range. You gotta really plan it out if you’re doing a road trip in the winter.

Went past the Ford dealer today and they have three 2023 Mach-Es that are discounted and just can’t get rid of. I know they’ve had some recalls but I believe the bugs have been worked out by now. Never buy the first model of anything.

I get there is a market for EVs, but I'm not it. My daily commute may be 5 miles, but tomorrow I could up and go on a 1,000 mile road trip and don't want to experience battery anxiety. I also tow fairly often and actually use my truck as a truck. I don't have the budget to have two vehicles, so my one has to be the jack of all trades.
I would never get an EV. Most of my missions are completely incompatible with and EV.
No one asked :). Anti EV people are like vegans and pilots. It's the first thing they tell you.

Sharp looking ride! Congrats!

The new Prius is actually a good looking car, and it has far more power than before. One no longer needs a sundial to measure 0-60.
Before I bought my Corolla, I looked at the new Prius and came close to buying one, but I couldn’t - the lots were empty and they were back ordered. Of course this was a couple years ago now, so things are more readily available, but had there have been inventory, I would have pulled the trigger on one. I wanted reliability, and I wanted good fuel efficiency and it had both. Nonetheless, my Corolla excels at each and I’m very happy with it.

I will say, the Mustang Mach-E is a pretty attractive car. I approve of this purchase!

Good luck with the car. Cold sucks for EVs. Some more than others. I drove about 100 miles on Monday but it zapped 135 miles of range. You gotta really plan it out if you’re doing a road trip in the winter.

Went past the Ford dealer today and they have three 2023 Mach-Es that are discounted and just can’t get rid of. I know they’ve had some recalls but I believe the bugs have been worked out by now. Never buy the first model of anything.
Aren't all 2023 vehicles discounted now that its 2024. they are all a year old now. The local ford dealer here has about a dozen 2023 (ICE) escape.

The new Prius is actually a good looking car, and it has far more power than before. One no longer needs a sundial to measure 0-60.
My problem is not with the car. It is with the drivers.

I always know that if a Prius pulls out in front of me it is going to go slooooow. I'm sure the car could do better but the drivers seem to be lethargic. And they have no problem pulling out in front of you. It's like they are pointing their middle finger at you.

But having had a number of '60's muscle cars, none of them stack up to a Tesla.

No one asked :). Anti EV people are like vegans and pilots. It's the first thing they tell you.
I was shopping new cars and mentioned was looking at EV. Everyone had to share their opinion about how theyll never go EV. Or outlined all the edge cases where it wont work for them. I just sorta smile and nod now.

Congrats on the purchase! We'll be likely jumping on the EV train sometime this summer, so I look forward to further reviews!

Koolaid drinking Tesla fanboy here. Don’t own an EV yet, but if Tesla disappears, the Mach E would be next up for me. Congratulations

Been eying used Taycan prices. Unless something really cool comes out in the next couple of years, that’ll be my next EV.

Rip the 'mustang' badge off and enjoy your car. :biggrin:

Also look into your local fire department and make sure they're well funded. :yesnod:
No doubt. 40,000 gallons of water required to put out an EV vs 2,000 for ICE. :oops: Some are starting to get EV blankets though. Of course, odds are better for ICE to catch fire over an EV.

Been eying used Taycan prices. Unless something really cool comes out in the next couple of years, that’ll be my next EV.
I’ve been looking too but I’d prefer to wait for self driving on the Porsche models. Also how easy is it to install the charger?

I’ve been looking too but I’d prefer to wait for self driving on the Porsche models. Also how easy is it to install the charger?
I’ve heard it’s easy but I still use the Tesla level 1 that came with it. Thought about installing a 220 outlet but I honestly haven’t had a need. I drive 31 miles to work and when I get there, I plug in and depending on temp, add about 30 - 40 miles. Save about $150 in gas a month.

My Volt used to be able to do full electric for my work commute, then they cut the range with a software upgrade. That’s when I decided to trade it in and go full electric.

We do need a catchy EV equivalent of "Car-B-Que" so these slurs can land with style :)

That can run from several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars for installation. The charging apparatus is usually about $500 if not included with the car.

Main factors appear to be available slots and capacity in an existing breaker box and distance and complexity in routing to a practical charging location. I got lucky and had 240v/30a service already run to a convenient location for my hangar door and piggy-backed off of that for maybe $50 in hardware. That gives a charge rate of about 22 miles per hour using the Mobile Connector Tesla provided with my car (they no longer do), enough to “top off“ to the recommended 80% for my Tesla in just a few hours after a typical day’s driving.

Congrats!

It's a nice looking car; my only gripe is the name. The mustang should be a muscle CAR, regardless of gas or electric. Sticking the name on a crossover type vehicle rubs me wrong.

We so rarely take trips in the car I'm thinking a full ev would work great for us, but the 7 seat options are pretty limited. If we're going more than 150 miles we're flying anyway. The plug in hybrid has been a great stopgap. We had been trading every year for basically the price of the tax credit, but as you mentioned the floor really dropped out from under used prices and it would've cost us double this year.

No doubt. 40,000 gallons of water required to put out an EV vs 2,000 for ICE. :oops: Some are starting to get EV blankets though. Of course, odds are better for ICE to catch fire over an EV.

I’m EV and ICE neutral. But a blanket won’t have any use when inside a residential garage even with a quick (4 minute) response time from a fire-department. Trucks usually carry 500-1000 gal and support tankers are in the 1500-3000 range typically, if no hydrant is available. It takes the “carbeque” to another level, lol!

Also how easy is it to install the charger?
If you have an electric dryer, you can get a box that will split the power. Start the dryer and the car stops charging. When the dryer is finished, the car resumes charging. It's all plug-and-play, so no "installing" per se.

Module4a_300x300_40a4c38c-e608-4f80-99be-e105cff45b66.jpg

This one sits right on the outlet.

ApplianceSecondary_0436f3be-1ab4-4c83-8306-15cd2eb2afa2.jpg

I have never been able to figure out the difference between a "portable" EVSE and a wall-mount one. We just have a "portable" one plugged into a 40A outlet in our garage and we routed the cord to be out of the way.

The thing we can't live without now is this little dude on the wall to put the charger socket into when unplugging to leave the house:

1705551553744.png

We really like the 45 degree one, it drapes the cord straight down along the side wall in the garage and it just stays out of the way. I don't know why the 90 degree ones are more common, this was actually hard to find. A good 20 bucks to spend.

We do need a catchy EV equivalent of "Car-B-Que" so these slurs can land with style :)
Guy on the news the other day called all the stranded EV's with dead batteries from the cold "dead robots". That was cute.

Guy on the news the other day called all the stranded EV's with dead batteries from the cold "dead robots". That was cute.

Cute. Reminds me of the scene from “Leave The World Behind”.

53472075995_9718e55225_z.jpg

That said, one news headline you’re unlikely to see is “Tesla reports 99.2%* of SuperChargers performed flawlessly in spite of the recent Arctic cold blast”.

*Made up statistic. It’s a fact that 79.2% of all statistics are!

Last edited:
Cute. Reminds me of the scene from “Leave The World Behind”.

That said, one news headline you’re unlikely to see is “Tesla reports 99.2%* of SuperChargers performed flawlessly in spite of the recent Arctic cold blast”.

*Made up statistic. It’s a fact that 79.2% of all statistics are!

You also won't see anything about the number of cars that wouldn't start because the batteries were dead/low, or the number of diesels that wouldn't start because they weren't plugged in and/or batteries were too low to crank over that 16+:1 compression.

The other day when it was -10F here I had plugged in my truck (Cummins 6.7 powered Ram) for about 4 hours, but hadn't let it sit overnight with the block heater. It started up just "fine" (not fully happy, but it caught and coughed a bit and didn't shut off) but until it got up to operating temperature the rail pressure was dropping off at anything above about 20% load. I have a gismo that tells me things including rail pressure, and it was interesting to watch. Fuel gelling issues. Once it got up to temp it was "fine", but that took about 20 minutes, it took another hour for the coolant and oil temps to actually reach normal level, and every time I stopped for 5 minutes with the engine running they dropped 20 degrees.

Nevermind the fact that I had to double clutch for upshifts until the transmission warmed up because the transmission fluid was so thick that it basically stopped the input shaft as soon as it was disconnected from the engine.

If it got this cold here more often I'd have a radiator cover in use but it doesn't happen that much.

Would an EV have performed better? Good question, it probably wouldn't have had the range for the amount of driving I did that day, but the gasoline powered vehicles would've performed best provided it started. Which, our gasoline powered vehicle that was running around that day as well (and had sat outside overnight with no block heater etc.) had no issues other than the touch screen needing to warm up as well on initial start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back