Log book error

What regulation requires the recording of the number day landings by a student? Why would anyone care?
Beats me. After a hundred hours or so the actual number of total landings is essentially meaningless. When you think about it, even the braggarts don't use landings as a metric.

Beats me. After a hundred hours or so the actual number of total landings is essentially meaningless. When you think about it, even the braggarts don't use landings as a metric.

I dunno. When I'm on final and my wife is weeping beside me, seeing her life pass before her tightly closed eyes, I think it helps a little bit to say something like, "Look, dear, I've done this 1,327 times before without dying, so please take your fingernails out of my shoulder."

I dunno. When I'm on final and my wife is weeping beside me, seeing her life pass before her tightly closed eyes, I think it helps a little bit to say something like, "Look, dear, I've done this 1,327 times before without dying, so please take your fingernails out of my shoulder."
I'm impressed that your wife pays that much attention to your number of landings. :)

Funny though, in Alaska there was little night flying, so each September I would go out and do my 3 night landings and I would log those 3.
Before they expanded alternate night currency for jets beyond air carrier ops, I had to go out and get night current 3 times in one 90-day period.

I have been asked exactly 0 times about how many landings I have, nor have I ever seen landings listed on a resume.

I wouldn’t sweat it at all
It is not an issue until it is an issue.

Have a night landing mishap with passengers and you can be sure the FAA will be asking.

Have a night landing mishap with passengers and you can be sure the FAA will be asking.
I think nearly everyone posting here recognizes that it's essential to log landings that document currency.

I think nearly everyone posting here recognizes that it's essential to log landings that document currency.
The post I was replying to suggested that the person did not actually log night landings since they logged the night flight and assume that it ended in a landing.

The post I was replying to suggested that the person did not actually log night landings since they logged the night flight and assume that it ended in a landing.
I think night currency is often logged incorrectly, partly because people associate the requirement for the lighting requirement at sunset with "night", even though for logging purposes "night" is an hour after sunset or before sunrise.

I'm sure you know that one landing at night isn't enough for currency, but three night landings within the preceding 90 days is, so in the case you mention it might be perfectly relevant if it was truly "night" as related to sunset and not just relating to logging of flight time, and if there had been two prior night flights in the preceding 90 days. All in all "night" regulations are something many pilots just don't fully understand, and they're largely irrelevant to others.

You can also log a flight at night without doing the landing.

And there are 3 different definitions of night, depending.

One for lights on.

One for logging night time.

One for landing currency for carrying passengers.

I'm absolutely certain that in that situation my logbook would show night currency before the FAA got ahold of it.

I think night currency is often logged incorrectly, partly because people associate the requirement for the lighting requirement at sunset with "night", even though for logging purposes "night" is an hour after sunset or before sunrise.
True for takeoff and landing currency. However, you can log night flight starting at the end of evening civil twilight, which is less than an hour after sunset... so that takeoff can't count for night passenger currency, but the time flown can be logged as night flight.

Many logbooks do not have a column for takeoffs, so I suggest using the remarks section to log night takeoffs.

True for takeoff and landing currency. However, you can log night flight starting at the end of evening civil twilight, which is less than an hour after sunset... so that takeoff can't count for night passenger currency, but the time flown can be logged as night flight.

Many logbooks do not have a column for takeoffs, so I suggest using the remarks section to log night takeoffs.

Yes, and as the DPE for my commercial pointed out, you need to log both the takeoff and landing since just logging "night" could mean taking off an hour before sunrise and not landing at night (which I had done and logged correctly, fortunately). The other gotcha' has to do with night landings for the commercial certificate and logging that correctly at an airport with an operating control tower.

Back