Applying graphics to tail

AlleyCat67

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AleyCat67
My airplane is certified (AA-5B) but I thought this forum would be a good resource for my question. I recently had the Tiger repainted, and am thinking about adding a graphic element to the tail just to make it more interesting (right now the tail is just white). I see a couple of different options. One is to use 3M A7322 (Aviation Graphic Film) to cut and apply a film decal. Or, I could make a stencil and use some kind of spray enamel or epoxy paint. Any advice as to which (if either) is the best option? I see that the 3M is only sold to those who have taken the training, so that may eliminate it as a DIY option. The plane is kept outside, and I'd like the decal or paint to last 8-10 years.

Kind of a toss up. However, if sold, the vinyl would be easier for a new owner to remove. I did vinyl boat names & graphics for a number of years. If I were you, I’d just use a good quality outdoor vinyl (I like 3M). If the vinyl lifts & comes off, it is not a safety problem, since it is behind the fan. The air plane specific vinyl is really designed for jets, where a peeled stripe could be ingested into the engine.

I’ve had the same set of vinyl N-numbers on my RV-6’s fuselage for almost 23 years. Just whatever “top quality” vinyl the local mom and pop sign shop had on-hand at the time. 1000x easier than painting.

I see that the 3M is only sold to those who have taken the training, so that may eliminate it as a DIY option.
There are several companies that sell the 3M aviation vinyl to include precut,etc to the public. Aero Graphics is one I've used before. Best to use the 3M or other aviation specific material if you want it to last as it is made different than vinyl used on vehicles. Decals definitely the way to go vs paint especially on a new paint job.

I used vinyl for my N-number & tail art. Been good for nearly 12 years (it does live inside when not flying). A good point made earlier is that if the plane is ever sold or you change your mind that vinyl is easy enough to remove.

We switched to vinyl decals for work trucks in the 80s.
Before that we had a guy who worked for us and he hand painted them. Sign painting was his hobby. We didn't know how good we had it in those days.
Since then I have done a lot of decal work. Go to the local sign shop and tell them what your doing and they should be able to get you good decals to apply.
I put new N numbers on my 172 a few years ago that came from the local sign shop. I had 2 sets made one leaning more than the other since I wasn't sure which would look better.

When I was racing I was changing decals on the dragster for every race. Each race was in a different area and they wanted exposure for different dealers and products. They emailed the files to me each week and I forward them to the sign shop and pick them up in a day. I removed the old ones put the new ones on every week.
Having the right chemicals to remove and apply made that possible.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like the consensus is that vinyl is the easiest option. I’ll check out aerographics.

My airplane is certified (AA-5B) but I thought this forum would be a good resource for my question. I recently had the Tiger repainted, and am thinking about adding a graphic element to the tail just to make it more interesting (right now the tail is just white). I see a couple of different options. One is to use 3M A7322 (Aviation Graphic Film) to cut and apply a film decal. Or, I could make a stencil and use some kind of spray enamel or epoxy paint. Any advice as to which (if either) is the best option? I see that the 3M is only sold to those who have taken the training, so that may eliminate it as a DIY option. The plane is kept outside, and I'd like the decal or paint to last 8-10 years.

I put vinyl Tigers on the tail of my Tiger. I believe that was a stock decal, designed for the forward fuselage, but I though it looked good on the tail.

10840771623_6f80149ae4.jpg

You are overthinking it. Call these peeps, I've used them for vinyl graphics on different airplanes.

AEROGRAPHICS

3m 1080. Did half of my plane in it. It's not like your grandmother's vinyl. Stretches, allows air to pass thru virtually eliminating wrinkles, won't lift up, if it doesn't lay right pick it up and put it back down. Need a blow dryer or heat gun.

One of the very few products which exceed all expectations.

There are a few other manufacturers of similar products. You can buy it on Amazon.

I did our wheel pants on our Zenith a while back. I used the 3M 1080. But the cool thing I also used was the vinyl cut tape. It has a little fiber in it. You put the tape on first, then the vinyl, then pull the fiber to cut the vinyl. It works well for complex shapes. I couldn't have put vinyl on the compound curves if it where just pre cut.

20210527_201010.jpg

the bonanza logo was already on mine when I got it

1705348407356.png

The FAA has lots of concerns regarding vinyl wraps (vs vinyl graphics) on certificated AC. most if it is due to installation issues, but the corrosion concern is also a real thing. cars have a very different paint than most AC and also rivets... ask your IA before your next annual as he may also have concerns that require removal of the vinyl wrap.

Back