Rolling a cessna

Calculatedpilot83

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot83
Curious if anyone has rolled a cessna 172, curious how they respond vs a citabria ( that’s all I’ve rolled)

Pls no hate, just trying to gather knowledge!

Thanks!!

Over a decade ago I saw a Cessna 150 with a busted back window… there was a reason it was busted. If you don’t actually know what you’re doing, you are actually endangering the lives of those underneath you.

And there I was, on short final...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 2.56.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 2.56.23 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
I took off in a Pitts one time and immediately rolled upside-down and climbed. The FAA happened to be there and didn’t agree with my explanation of it being a runway inspection! I did roll upright before landing though.

If you're not a troll, you're lousy at google. Many examples of people rolling things like 172s and other foolishness. Here's just one:

Doing aerobatics in a plane not rated for them is pretty dumb for a myriad of reasons.
That wasn't a barrel roll. That was an accidental split-s and some lucky ass people.

We call that the barrel dive over here in UPT land. Its pretty common. In aircraft with undersized ailerons and travel like most spam cans, that becomes more aggravated. To wit, looping the-- ah ha! Not today! :D

That wasn't a barrel roll. That was an accidental split-s and some lucky ass people.

Agreed. I'm not sure what type of roll they were planning, but it ended with a wretched split-S that they're lucky didn't turn into a spin.

Lots and lots of dumb crap in 172s, Cherokees, etc., can be found online. These planes aren't made for aerobatics, and pilots who have a clue what they're doing don't try aerobatics in them. Consequently, when you see a 172 doing a loop or roll, it's probably being flown by an idiot who can't do the maneuver anyway, and now he's screwing it up in a plane that can't take the stress of a mistake.

The scary thing is that the plane doesn't necessarily fail from the overstress on that flight. It might not fail until later, when some innocent renter or a student or a new owner gets hold of it.

Curious if anyone has rolled a cessna 172, curious how they respond vs a citabria ( that’s all I’ve rolled)

Pls no hate, just trying to gather knowledge!
In the Cessna 172 POH you will find a section on Limitations, and aerobatics other than spins or chandelles and the like are forbidden. There are some really good reasons for that, such as structural strength or upset recovery times. People, especially impulsive and invincible newbie pilots, have tried stuff like that and either lost control and crashed, or wrecked the airplane by overstressing it. The owner is never impressed when the mechanic finds wrinkled skins or cracked components. And the FAA (or Transport Canada) take a very dim view of it and don't hesitate to issue a big fine or revoke the pilot's certificate.

It sounds like you might be playing with a computer flight sim. It is NOT the same. Most flight sims are fairly forgiving so as to avoid frustrating the user. The real airplane just eats you alive.

It sounds like you might be playing with a computer flight sim. It is NOT the same. Most flight sims are fairly forgiving so as to avoid frustrating the user. The real airplane just eats you alive.

I have no experience with the sims, so I'm curious: will a 172 simulator shut down the engine in 0 or negative g flight? Fuel is gravity fed in the real bird, but I don't know whether that's simulated.

I have no experience with the sims, so I'm curious: will a 172 simulator shut down the engine in 0 or negative g flight? Fuel is gravity fed in the real bird, but I don't know whether that's simulated.
Yes. Having farted around in a C152 aerobat I can say it will quit as you push through zero G. Positive G restores the noisy thing up front.

Yes. Having farted around in a C152 aerobat I can say it will quit as you push through zero G. Positive G restores the noisy thing up front.

Of course, if it were a really good sim, you could get away with an overstress or two, and then twenty flights later the wing would depart. :D

I have seen one barrel rolled, by a pilot I thought would soon be dead. But somehow he's chilled out, and still alive, 25 years later. An aileron role would be dangerous to the health of the engine. A barrel roll can stay marginally positive G throughout if done properly.

An aileron role would be dangerous to the health of the engine. A barrel roll can stay marginally positive G throughout if done properly.
An aileron roll is positive g throughout (might get close to zero at the top), so no harm to the engine. A barrel roll is always positive g throughout, it's really more of a rolling loop.

It’s all fun and games - until it’s not.

Is this the week for Stupid Pilot Tricks on POA?
C’mon guys.

This one is easier; we lost a local pilot a few years back who started doing rolls in his Bonanza. Soon, he was doing them really low, down the runway.
It was a closed-coffin service.

I say, “Never get bored in an airplane”

Back