Buzzing houses going in Schuylerville NY

I did not say that. The dude obviously has more loose. But the woman was damn near in tears at the beginning, maybe it was taken out of context and she was talking more generally about the ordeal in totality and not just about the seeing or hearing a plane.
So you acknowledge that you don't know the context yet are able to pass judgement about her "having a few screws loose".

I'm guessing if someone had been stalking your wife/girlfriend/daughter for four years that you might be a little less quick to judge the victim here.

Reactions: SEB
first off, i am in no way defending this guy.
however, there is one point that in this story thould make all pilots take note. the fact that a judge ordered him to stop flying is a very slippery slope. the ability to act as pilot in command of an aircraft falls to one agency, the FAA. we need to keep it that way. we do not need every LEO, judge, city council, mayor or school board thinking they have the right to stop someone from flying. i have no problem with a judge or LEO asking the FAA to issue an order of revocation, or suspension of a medical, but it must be done by the FAA under the FARs. not at the whims of some local politician or public official.

however, there is one point that in this story thould make all pilots take note. the fact that a judge ordered him to stop flying is a very slippery slope. the ability to act as pilot in command of an aircraft falls to one agency, the FAA. we need to keep it that way. we do not need every LEO, judge, city council, mayor or school board thinking they have the right to stop someone from flying. i have no problem with a judge or LEO asking the FAA to issue an order of revocation, or suspension of a medical, but it must be done by the FAA under the FARs. not at the whims of some local politician or public official.
Honest question - how long does it take for the FAA to act if it is determined by local officials that a person is a danger to themselves or others?

Honest question - how long does it take for the FAA to act if it is determined by local officials that a person is a danger to themselves or others?

In the Martha Lunken example, I believe it took a bit over a year.

Regardless as to the facts, pilot will lose, probably get his medical pulled over this. If anyone knows the pilot, I would like to make a low-ball offer on his C180.

Agree, though actually we all lose. Everytime some pilot does "stupid pilot tricks", the rest of us pay for it either in enforcement/legislation or increased insurance costs or requirements (... not to mention the bad publicity).

I worked the road as a State Trooper for 16 years before the pilots position opened up and finally got promoted. Don’t miss stalker cases one dang bit. Be it a ex, family or neighbor dispute, jilted love, or just some sick obsession, they all suck. They rationalize their behavior and never see it as wrong. Harassment or protection orders don’t stop them but at least after serving them at least we could arrest them every time they violated henceforth. Until they violated a half a dozen more times it was pretty much “catch and release”. Frustrating as hell. Judges just always want to give another chance. Couple years ago, poor women was killed by her stalker. Sob had paper and been arrested a couple of times for violating. Things have toughened up some since, but have been told it’s sliding back to the old ways.

if you don’t think this lady had every reason to be terrified, you can’t imagine what always looking over your shoulder is like. Then to be victimized again by sometime police that consider it just another annoying complaint or the courts that just don’t want to have a judgement with teeth overturned on appeal sucks. The DB in this case needs to be put away for a good long while. Keeping him out of an airplane is hardly the biggest issue. He will keep escalating until he hurts or kills this lady. Those who don’t think this clown’s actions are serious would feel a lot different if it was their daughter, sister, wife or mother this was happening to.

The news media hyping up a story???

YGBSM :D

Hyping the story? Always. That's what they do. But just because they mostly get the stories wrong doesn't mean there's not a point to it once in a while. The other problem is that people pay attention to them, right or wrong.

My point was that they also may try to wind up the people involved. They are not the calming influence on anything, so if they can help bring this woman to tears to boost their ratings, they'll absolutely do it.

But all of that said, every indication points to this guy being someone who who shouldn't be walking around breathing free air in his current condition.

what a karen sheesh,
The pilot is Clear douche here. Follow up reports he’s already been arrested for violating the PFA.
Although I think the reporting on, it certainly is fear mongering. And that may are using the word ‘terrorized’ With regards to the town is a bit much for me. Certainly, I would say the restaurant owner is probably being terrorized.

The judge can't take away his pilot certificate. Even if he violates the order. But judges can order a lot of things.

I worked the road as a State Trooper for 16 years before the pilots position opened up and finally got promoted. Don’t miss stalker cases one dang bit. Be it a ex, family or neighbor dispute, jilted love, or just some sick obsession, they all suck. They rationalize their behavior and never see it as wrong. Harassment or protection orders don’t stop them but at least after serving them at least we could arrest them every time they violated henceforth. Until they violated a half a dozen more times it was pretty much “catch and release”. Frustrating as hell. Judges just always want to give another chance. Couple years ago, poor women was killed by her stalker. Sob had paper and been arrested a couple of times for violating. Things have toughened up some since, but have been told it’s sliding back to the old ways.

if you don’t think this lady had every reason to be terrified, you can’t imagine what always looking over your shoulder is like. Then to be victimized again by sometime police that consider it just another annoying complaint or the courts that just don’t want to have a judgement with teeth overturned on appeal sucks. The DB in this case needs to be put away for a good long while. Keeping him out of an airplane is hardly the biggest issue. He will keep escalating until he hurts or kills this lady. Those who don’t think this clown’s actions are serious would feel a lot different if it was their daughter, sister, wife or mother this was happening to.
If this lady was your sister, what would you advise her to do? The only options I can come up with are illegal and/or expensive.

Last edited:
If this lady was your sister, what would you advise her to do? The only options I can come up with are illegal and/or expensive.
“There is no state license requirement for the possession of a rifle or shotgun, so long as the rifle has barrel(s) at least 16 inches in length and the shotgun has barrel(s) at least 18 inches in length.”

Hyping the story? Always. That's what they do. But just because they mostly get the stories wrong doesn't mean there's not a point to it once in a while. The other problem is that people pay attention to them, right or wrong.

My point was that they also may try to wind up the people involved. They are not the calming influence on anything, so if they can help bring this woman to tears to boost their ratings, they'll absolutely do it.
Yes, I know.

a judge ordered him to stop flying

Just curious on how a judge can do this??
This guy is an obvious whacko.. who's to say one day he just decides to dive bomb his plane into this lady's house. It's game over for the rest of us after that.

Airspace and pilot certificates and flight regulations are reserved to the FAA, but I can imagine a judge might have other means. For example, he might be able to ban this guy from the airport property (especially if the property is owned by the municipality), or he might be able to impound the airplane. IANAL and I'm just guessing, but "ordered him to stop flying" might be an oversimplification of whatever really took place.

In the Martha Lunken example, I believe it took a bit over a year.

Trevor Jacob took around 4.5 months for a suspension. It was about a year and half to get through the court case for idiocy obstruction.

Trevor Jacob took around 4.5 months for a suspension. It was about a year and half to get through the court case for idiocy obstruction.

So based on two data points, we can say that the FAA responds to an immediate danger within several months to a year.

Sounds about right...

This guy is an obvious whacko.. who's to say one day he just decides to dive bomb his plane into this lady's house. It's game over for the rest of us after that.

He's been in jail for stalking already. The question is whether or not what he's alleged to have done with an airplane is stalking.

Schuylerville is a small place, roughly 1000' by 2800' of "city" area and I'd bet you could walk into, through and out of town in 20 minutes going the long way. To fly in circles around a house, you're talking something like 50kts with a 45 degree bank angle to stay close.

Last edited:
He's been in jail for stalking already. The question is whether or not what he's alleged to have done with an airplane is stalking.

If he were in a car and circled the block for an hour, would that be stalking? Beats me....

Judges often impose temporary restrictions they don't have the authority to make permanent, such as bond conditions or a temporary restraining order pending a hearing. It is also sometimes done in circumstances where a defendant agrees to it, such as a condition of probation. I'd say a complete ban on flying is probably about as far as a judge could go, even temporarily in this case, and is perhaps too far. It would probably have made more sense to prohibit the pilot from flying within a certain distance of the town, since the location and not the activity was the problem. On the other hand, seeing the same judge for the same issue more than once often results in more draconian treatment.

It’s called “conditional bond” , and this judge does have authority to order no flying as a condition of his bond. If he violates the bond conditions, he then sits in jail until either, a) he (or more likely his attorney) can convince the judge he won’t violate the bond again, or b) he goes to trial or pleads and is sentenced.

Seems my response has already been given. No need to keep stating it. Sounds like he got hitched up. Hopefully he is dealt with accordingly this round.

So based on two data points, we can say that the FAA responds to an immediate danger within several months to a year.

Sounds about right...
i cant go into details do to NDA, but i personally know of a case that the order was done in less than a week.

i cant go into details do to NDA, but i personally know of a case that the order was done in less than a week.
I know of a case where it was nearly immediate, but it was due to provable substance usage.

I bet if you break a VIP TFR twice it'll take them about 10 minutes, assuming that they keep track of the first instance.

Not the same I know but this reminded me of the Marvin Heemeyer story. The guy had this ongoing beef with the city council about something or other so one day he buys an old bulldozer, pulls it into his workshop and isn't seen for a couple of months during which time he basically builds himself a tank which he then brings out and proceeds to level half the town with. They made a movie about it, it was called "Tread"

The guy in this story? You never know until it happens.

Not the same I know but this reminded me of the Marvin Heemeyer story. The guy had this ongoing beef with the city council about something or other so one day he buys an old bulldozer, pulls it into his workshop and isn't seen for a couple of months during which time he basically builds himself a tank which he then brings out and proceeds to level half the town with. They made a movie about it, it was called "Tread"

The guy in this story? You never know until it happens.

A few years back some guy tried to dive bomb his ex's house. He missed. He won't be missed.

Back