Oshkosh 2023 Planning help

My plan for years has been 1st alternate Appleton, 2nd Madison, 3rd Stay somewhere south of the front and wait it out. And there is almost always a front of some kind that week.

With the new arrivals plan, Madison is a good place to stop anyway, to grab breakfast or coffee and get your head together on what comes next.

Note that Appleton won't have camping this year: "Aircraft will be allowed to park at ATW for Air Venture 2023. However, we will not have camping this year."

Note that Appleton won't have camping this year: "Aircraft will be allowed to park at ATW for Air Venture 2023. However, we will not have camping this year."

That's interesting. I wonder why? Maybe because Oshkosh is getting closer to the point of never selling out, so demand at the reliever airports is no longer enough to justify the offering?

I know that was in last year's NOTAM, but where has that been published for this year as the 2023 NOTAM is still a long way from coming out?

That's interesting. I wonder why? Maybe because Oshkosh is getting closer to the point of never selling out, so demand at the reliever airports is no longer enough to justify the offering?

Doubt very seriously that's the reason. More likely it has to do with something that's changed there locally at ATW.

Doubt very seriously that's the reason. More likely it has to do with something that's changed there locally at ATW.

I googled it and it seems camping there only started in 2017. So probably just an experiment that didn't really pan out.

I know that was in last year's NOTAM, but where has that been published for this year as the 2023 NOTAM is still a long way from coming out?

I sent an email to the address on the ATW website and that was their response.

My plan for years has been 1st alternate Appleton, 2nd Madison, 3rd Stay somewhere south of the front and wait it out. And there is almost always a front of some kind that week.

With the new arrivals plan, Madison is a good place to stop anyway, to grab breakfast or coffee and get your head together on what comes next.

Madison has a restaurant in the FBO. So it is a good pick. The last few years I have always spent the night in Madison prior to flying into OSH. It makes the flight nicer being well rested and fed.

We were thinking about flying in Thursday before the show and leaving the following Thursday. 2 questions how bored will we get hanging around until Monday ? How much will we miss leaving 2 days early ?

We were thinking about flying in Thursday before the show and leaving the following Thursday. 2 questions how bored will we get hanging around until Monday ? How much will we miss leaving 2 days early ?

Nothing will be open (or at best very limited) on the field those first few days so you either need to bring food or be prepared to go off the airport. The main daily entertainment will be mostly watching arrivals. You can meander the grounds but it will mostly be vendors setting up. The EAA museum will be open though. You could also volunteer to fill the time.

IMO you won’t miss anything by leaving Thursday m.

Nothing will be open (or at best very limited) on the field those first few days so you either need to bring food or be prepared to go off the airport. The main daily entertainment will be mostly watching arrivals. You can meander the grounds but it will mostly be vendors setting up. The EAA museum will be open though. You could also volunteer to fill the time.

IMO you won’t miss anything by leaving Thursday m.

That's kind of what I figured as far as watching the arrivals. Forgot about the EAA museum. Thanks

I like the vibe before the show better than the show itself. If you're going to hang out with aviators and talk about airplanes, then you'll be very happy. If you're going for vendors and airshows, then you'll be bored.

How much will we miss leaving 2 days early ?

TBH, by Thursday you'll probably be exhausted from sunburn, walking, night time storms, sleeping on the ground, showering in a trailer, pooping in a portajohn, and eating fairground food. Unless you are a pro-level camper, you'll probably be burned out. Staying the whole show is for the truly hard core who make this the centerpiece of their year.

TBH, by Thursday you'll probably be exhausted from sunburn, walking, night time storms, sleeping on the ground, showering in a trailer, pooping in a portajohn, and eating fairground food. Unless you are a pro-level camper, you'll probably be burned out. Staying the whole show is for the truly hard core who make this the centerpiece of their year.

Full disclosure.... If I can't get a room at the Hilton for whatever their ridiculous rate is we aren't going... Laugh all you want, but camping on any level is out of the question for this kid.

Full disclosure.... If I can't get a room at the Hilton for whatever their ridiculous rate is we aren't going... Laugh all you want, but camping on any level is out of the question for this kid.

I do have to laugh a little, since I basically made my living as a professional camper and hiker for 24 years (Army). But it's a vacation, so makes no sense to do something you know you don't like.

I do have to laugh a little, since I basically made my living as a professional camper and hiker for 24 years (Army). But it's a vacation, so makes no sense to do something you know you don't like.

Thank you very much for your service!!

I have a good friend that’s a retired delta guy that laughs at me for being anti camping too.

I’m still not sold on the idea of spending a week with a zillion people so I’m definitely going to have a comfy bed, ac, and a shower lol

I stay at the hotel in Appleton. Even now, rooms at not outlandish rates in Appleton and Green Bay. There’s a bus that does the rounds of the hotels in the morning, then back in the evening. Also check out the dorms in OSH.

I stay at the hotel in Appleton. Even now, rooms at not outlandish rates in Appleton and Green Bay. There’s a bus that does the rounds of the hotels in the morning, then back in the evening. Also check out the dorms in OSH.

I will check into all of these options. Thanks!

I like the way you think.

When I went in 99 and 2000, we staying in a house. The family rented out two rooms. I don't know about now, but at that time, there was a housing office that collected info from people wanting to rent out rooms and connected them with people coming who wanted rooms.

OK so you can probably forget the Hilton or any of the hotels in Osh— people make reservations for those a year out. The link listed above has all the major options except one: you can rent an RV. Up until 2 years ago we camped with our plane but decided to give renting an RV a try. The first year we went through a local dealer (Kunes) and they delivered it to the campsite and did the setup. Last year we went through RVShare for about only a third of what Kunes charged and the owner provided delivery and setup for a small fee. Since we still fly in having owner delivery is the only option for us. In both instances, it was an awesome experience. The only downside is once you go RV, you don’t go back. :D

I'm from the opposite camp. I feel like staying offsite disconnects you from the event and you miss out on so much during the evenings.
But then again maybe I have always missed out on the shenanigans in town with all the folks staying in hotels!

I haven't been to Airventure very many times... the 1st was tent camping in the campground (drove in). The next several times were staying with family at Green Lake. Driving in for the day just isn't the same for me.

I've been to sun n fun more....same thing though
I've camped and I've driven in for the day. Camping is much better....although it's improved for me the last several years since I now have a motorhome to drive in. That is the way to go for sure!
I will say though that I am looking forward to owning my own plane some day and camping under the wing!

I'm from the opposite camp. I feel like staying offsite disconnects you from the event and you miss out on so much during the evenings.

:yeahthat: These days, at least 75% if not more of the reasons we go to the show is the social aspect. We’ve developed a ton of friendships over the years and Osh is our get together and this is what keeps us coming back.

OK so you can probably forget the Hilton or any of the hotels in Osh— people make reservations for those a year out. The link listed above has all the major options except one: you can rent an RV. Up until 2 years ago we camped with our plane but decided to give renting an RV a try. The first year we went through a local dealer (Kunes) and they delivered it to the campsite and did the setup. Last year we went through RVShare for about only a third of what Kunes charged and the owner provided delivery and setup for a small fee. Since we still fly in having owner delivery is the only option for us. In both instances, it was an awesome experience. The only downside is once you go RV, you don’t go back. :D

Did you arrange the campsite reservation?

I'm with you. At this point I'm basically going to the show to hang out with friends in the evenings. I'm an early riser, so I get up and wander around before things get too hot. During the air show I'm usually in the tent with ear plugs taking a nap. Then I'm ready for whatever the evening holds.

Did you arrange the campsite reservation?

Yes I did; the camp site is separate reservation from the RV. Not sure how it works if you camp at Scholler with a rental RV placed there for you, but I do know that it can be done. We actually camp at Sleepy Hollow (across Waukau Ave from the SoS Bros tent). For all previous year's campers, they send out a reservation confirmation email in December that requires an initial deposit by the end of January to hold your spot with the balance due in early July. a couple of weeks before our planned arrival date I provide the RV owner the camp site info and the campsite owners the RV owner's info so when the RV owner show's up it's pretty seamless.

Last edited:
But then again maybe I have always missed out on the shenanigans in town with all the folks staying in hotels!

I haven't been to Airventure very many times... the 1st was tent camping in the campground (drove in). The next several times were staying with family at Green Lake. Driving in for the day just isn't the same for me.

I've been to sun n fun more....same thing though
I've camped and I've driven in for the day. Camping is much better....although it's improved for me the last several years since I now have a motorhome to drive in. That is the way to go for sure!
I will say though that I am looking forward to owning my own plane some day and camping under the wing!
There are legit reasons people don't want to camp on the field. Most of them related to medical issues. In college, our dorm room was one of the few allowed to have a refrigerator because my roommate was diabetic and needed to keep the insulin chilled. My dad had gastro issues - finding the shoes, a robe and hiking to the bathroom was completely out of the question - he needed the potty RIGHT THERE! Many more reasons to find a hotel or house and not camp. Even more important - if I'm up late with friends, I don't want to wake up at sunrise to the sound of engines, I want to sleep. I look forward to the engines later in the day.

Starting to feel real! 22 days until I launch! Plan A is in place.
53010634973_b49b24dc08_z.jpg

Now I'm looking everyday at how the weather is amd, so far, there's a big blob of yellow and red on the way there.... I gotta get the weather avoidance skills up to par! :)

Back