Bo on the beach, Long Island, NY

Wonder what shape those ruddevators are in. They could be worth their weight in gold.

screwing with the gear that low probably screwed him up for the flare. That's why I left mine out since they were out already. I figured anything I did other than flying the plane would probably make it worse.

i will give him the benefit of the doubt, that the nose gear failed when the nose gear dug in the loose surface.

Gear up would have been the way to go. He was probably hoping to avoid a prop strike, but that just wasn't going to happen.

As I recall, there's a debate on whether an off field landing is better with the gear down or with the gear up. Some say that with gear down, the approach is steeper and the flare more critical with timing ... others say that with the gear down, the gear absorbs a lot of "unwanted energy". With that said, it looks like the Assemblyman did a good job with this gear-down forced landing. Another Bonanza bites the dust. Once an airplane is immersed in salt water, it's basic worth is determined by the pound (weight, not British Currency).

^ there's no debate. Unless it's nice hard ground you belly that s*** in.

If I had the camera in my hands I’d have moved because it certainly looked like it was going land on my head

also, was that a phone camera? Seems amazing that someone was there at just the right distance. I’ve tried a few times and planes are too small. By the time I zoom in it’s too late

If I had the camera in my hands I’d have moved because it certainly looked like it was going land on my head

also, was that a phone camera? Seems amazing that someone was there at just the right distance. I’ve tried a few times and planes are too small. By the time I zoom in it’s too late
I was thinking the same thing. It was like the guy with the camera knew he was coming and what he was going to do.

^ there's no debate. Unless it's nice hard ground you belly that s*** in.

Actually, there is a lively debate about the subject as seen in the thread, "Forced Landing: Gear Up or Gear Down?" on this POA Forum. A link to the thread:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/forced-landing-gear-up-or-gear-down.46133/

In the example of the Assemblyman's forced landing on the beach, I probably would have opted for gear up due to expected encounters with soft sand and/or water.

Actually, there is a lively debate about the subject as seen in the thread, "Forced Landing: Gear Up or Gear Down?" on this POA Forum. A link to the thread:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/forced-landing-gear-up-or-gear-down.46133/

In the example of the Assemblyman's forced landing on the beach, I probably would have opted for gear up due to expected encounters with soft sand and/or water.
Situational for sure. In my case the gear down probably saved my life.

No. Impacting sand at any reasonable landing speed ... the sand is not soft!

-Skip

I was attempting to differentiate a sand surface that would accommodate vehicular traffic (hard), such as Daytona or Ormond Beach, from the "softer" sand of the dunes which make for difficult walking, let alone accommodating vehicular traffic. A high speed encounter with any surface, including water, is not a "soft" encounter.

No injuries, plane trashed whether gear up or down anyway, I’m thinking it worked out fine. Now the question, what happened to the engine? Why did it fail??

He didn't hurt anybody on the ground, and he walked away fine. That's a win to me. He's a tech guy, my bet is that he was either thinking that the landing gear hanging down would help slow the vertical component of the impact, whatever it was, because that's what they do, and I think that's probably right; or he was thinking it made sense to land in as normal a configuration as possible, so he'd have the best chance of a good landing. Or...if you land gear up you know you're going to lose the engine. Gear down, you might not. I've never flown a Bonanza, but I'd go gear down in an Arrow. Maybe a different answer in the water or with a high wing for me.

I hope he had gas in it.

USAF taught me to always extend the gear for any emergency landing other than water. Ripping the gear off will dissipate the kinetic energy and slow you down when that is what you need.

Back