Spend my money

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
What’s the best airplane for a pilot with 200 hours of experience who is looking for an affordable, high speed option that can accommodate the entire family?

How large is the family and how large are said occupants. Big difference between the standard 135lb adult that they size for vs say8ng a family of four that are two teenagers who are recruiting for being linemen for Alabama football team along with said parents…..

Aerostar; affordable is subjective.

Define affordable and high speed. Also, does affordable apply to the purchase price or ongoing costs?

How often will you fly? Have hangar? Mountains?

Simple: C182
Speed: Buy a Mooney.
Wise: SR22 club/partnership.

Yeah, I think you’re leaving out a few details. Like how much does the family weigh, now? How many? I like your airport, 6500’ at almost sea level.

Back in the day this whole family weighed 555 lbs, 4 of us. We flew from WI to Disney World in a Warrior, worked fine. I just remember the numbers, I had a calibrated fuel straw, average burn was 7.25 GPH.

More plane usually costs more $$. Then you may get to a time when not everyone wants to go.

What’s the best airplane for a pilot with 200 hours of experience who is looking for an affordable, high speed option that can accommodate the entire family?

BBJ if you want fast and have a big fam. Pretty affordable compared to some of the wide bodies.

As an AI language model, I am not able to provide specific recommendations for individual cases. However, I can provide some general information that may help guide your search.

For a pilot with 200 hours of experience who is looking for an affordable, high-speed option that can accommodate the entire family, there are several options to consider. One option is a four-seat single-engine airplane such as the Cessna 182, Piper Arrow, or Beechcraft Bonanza. These airplanes are relatively affordable and offer good performance and comfort for a small family. They can also be used for a wide range of flying, including cross-country trips and local flights.

Another option to consider is a six-seat single-engine airplane such as the Cirrus SR22 or Piper Saratoga. These airplanes offer more room and speed than a four-seat airplane and can accommodate a larger family or more luggage. They are also more expensive than four-seat airplanes, but can still be affordable depending on the budget.

Ultimately, the best airplane for a pilot with 200 hours of experience who is looking for an affordable, high-speed option that can accommodate the entire family will depend on individual needs and preferences, as well as budget constraints. It's important to consult with a knowledgeable aviation expert or instructor to help determine the most suitable aircraft for your specific needs and circumstances.

And how long of flights are you expecting? Big difference for 4 with a 200 mile trip length and 4, plus luggage doing 600 mile trips.

Well, my immediate family weighs about #1150 and needs 7 seats, so 'take the whole family' means something different to me! How big a family and how long of trips? Makes a huge difference in what's available. For me at least, no GA plane will take my whole family until you get up to cabin class twins.

Well, my immediate family weighs about #1150 and needs 7 seats, so 'take the whole family' means something different to me! How big a family and how long of trips? Makes a huge difference in what's available. For me at least, no GA plane will take my whole family until you get up to cabin class twins.
Some PA-32s could do it, although probably not long legs. I guess you need a Navajo, two Bonanzas, or to put some of them up for adoption.

Here you go... I only say this as I can't tell you how many people I have met that said "I bought it for the family and after a few times they don't want to do it anymore" when it comes to planes, boats, camping RV, etc...

In answer to your question, maybe a Piper 235 or a C182 as others had mentioned.

ap_19199519379743_wide-e8e563cd6546d8ca94eaf577a6190f8e26db5415.jpg

Some PA-32s could do it, although probably not long legs. I guess you need a Navajo, two Bonanzas, or to put some of them up for adoption.
I've got some time in an older PA32-300 that had close to #1500 useful, so it could be done with main tanks full and no aux fuel, but that'd be tight, and no luggage. Also, my 17 yo son is 6'4" and #260 alone, and his 'little' 15 yo brother is 6'5" and #210, so weight aside, they just don't fit in small planes very well. They both want to fly, so maybe the answer is get them through flight training and buy 2 182s and travel as a flight of 2 everywhere. Practically speaking though, we outgrew family GA travel a long time ago.

We havent heard from the OP. I suspect he is a bot. Or hits the bottle. Or is a botfly. Or...

Go for a Sling Tsi. Can't beat it. Can buy one already built.

Great idea, Get a DNA check on them first. There has to be one or two that don’t look like you.

@bflynn would probably post way more info than this. With no follow up - something is off.

It was a play on the chatgpt thread. Maybe too subtle.

my actual mission is for long XCs on the order of Raleigh to Oshkosh/Lakeland and some shorter ones. Bucket list, Alaska. Mostly solo, IFR, sometimes a passenger. Target airplane is a Mooney, E-J model unless something else comes along. Speed and fuel efficiency are key.

Not opposed to experimental, rv-7/8/9 fits the bill. Realistically, I’ll probably never build because I don’t have a place to build. My wife has this crazy idea that garages are for cars.

Cessna 207. Flies slow, like a dog, and you'd be competing on price against commercial outfits.

...but they do the job.

Not opposed to experimental, rv-7/8/9 fits the bill.

If you're thinking that way just go a bit further: :D

HARMON ROCKET II • $125,000 • PRICED TO SELL • Harmon Rocket II N8567G, 300tt 300 since new IO-540, 40 hours on Whirlwind prop, F-1 wingtips, Aero-Lite Led Nav/Strobes, Uavionix AV-30 with adsb out, digital gph, electric flaps, electric trim on the stick, this thing is fast! Great flying Rocket! She’s ready to go. Flown almost daily! Located in Lamar Colorado, KLAA. Can deliver. Price is firm! • Contact Shane Wollert , Owner - located Lamar, CO 85643 United States • Telephone: 719-691-0057 • Posted March 9, 2023 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Images

Back