Broken removal tab for the Garmin NavData card

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
Guys, the plastic flip tab for my GNS 430 NavData memory card broke off. I saw an extracting tool online and bought it....was like $5. In the meantime can I just use a needle nose pliers to pull it out? BTW, to buy a new one is like $380 so I am ok with the broken tab as long as the card functions.

maduro

Guys, the plastic flip tab for my GNS 430 NavData memory card broke off. I saw an extracting tool online and bought it....was like $5. In the meantime can I just use a needle nose pliers to pull it out? BTW, to buy a new one is like $380 so I am ok with the broken tab as long as the card functions.

maduro
That's what I did when I had one break. The pliers I mean.

Yeap...the needle nose worked. You do need a fine nose needle nose pliers.

I guess I should have said I used the pliers to pry it out, not try to clamp onto the plastic and pull it out.

Mine broke too. Found a spot where I could drill a tiny hole and made a loop with safety wire allowing me to pull it out. Look at the lower 430 and you can see what I did. 1D923D48-977D-4F39-80E9-55F1C841A98CIMG_1312.jpg

aaah cool idea.

BTW, I bought flygarmin navdata update...didn't realize that my card was a jepperson card. Luckily, the update did work with the Garmin data interface dock. There was some mixed messaging about that in the forums so I'd thought I share.

Someone needs to do a full step-by-video on Youtube on upgrading/installing Navdata from start to finish. All the videos don't cover the different methods, different interfaces, the update software tools, the USB drivers and the required .Net Framework. It's not that simple as all the youtube videos make you believe.

Back