Luscombe 8a patroller doors

Jaminky

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jaminky
I’m zeroing in a luscombe 8a and was wondering what it takes to install patroller doors(or observer or whatever,the full plexiglass doors).I’ve seen them installed already but how do you go about it?Do you use the existing door frame or is it a buy a whole new door deal.I think it would be a cool upgrade.Thanks

was wondering what it takes to install patroller doors(or observer or whatever,the full plexiglass doors).
I seem to recall those doors were locally altered original doors. Perhaps asked your mechanic for a possible route or inquire on a Luscombe specific site? I've never seen them personally installed in my travels over the years but that don't mean anything.

There are existing ones, but they're hard to find and very expensive. You can also have them made, not sure of the legality, but it's one of those things that would probably never come up.

If you're on Facebook, join the Luscombe Aircraft group. You'll get a lot more information that way.

Thanks for the replies!If it would be legal to remove both doors for flight I probably wouldn’t think much about it,but from what I could find you’re only allowed to fly with one off.I’m sure people do it but idk.Having a mostly clear door is kinda cool,but I’m still trying to figure out if it adds or subtracts to the look of a luscombe

Thanks for the replies!If it would be legal to remove both doors for flight I probably wouldn’t think much about it,but from what I could find you’re only allowed to fly with one off.I’m sure people do it but idk.Having a mostly clear door is kinda cool,but I’m still trying to figure out if it adds or subtracts to the look of a luscombe
I flew with a guy in a 140 once where he had both doors off... pure chaos! One off is good, two off is windy!

I loved the idea of patroller doors on my 140, until I realized they're rare, expensive, would probably not fit or close properly, and would need to be painted to match (and then probably wouldn't anyway). At least they'd be even colder in the winter...

Join the FB Luscombe group. The docs section has many approved 337s and other documentation that can help you. You should be able to find the documentation that says flying with both doors off is approved.

Back