[NA] Why do we have fingernails?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
Why do we have them? To stop knives from cutting our fingertips off.

I can't be the only one.

Vestigal claws?

Unless you're religious I suppose. Then the intelligent design must be about nose-picking as mentioned. :)

Why do we have them? To stop knives from cutting our fingertips off.

I can't be the only one.

not much of a knife that doesn't easily cut through fingernails.

Well you can chew your nails or chew the fat ... :D

Good choice depending on the sound you need. I do like a Gibson ES335 ...

I probably play one of my Les Pauls more than anything else, but it does depend on the sound needed, so I also have a 335, a couple of Strats, and an Ibanez Roadstar with a FR trem. But I can’t play my nylon string classical (a Yahama) without fingernails, and I’ve been fooling around with some Christmas tunes on it the last few days.

I probably play one of my Les Pauls more than anything else, but it does depend on the sound needed, so I also have a 335, a couple of Strats, and an Ibanez Roadstar with a FR trem. But I can’t play my nylon string classical (a Yahama) without fingernails, and I’ve been fooling around with some Christmas tunes on it the last few days.

You have a great collection. I'd love to have a a Les Paul or 335. Most of mine are knock-off and less expensive imitations ...

Most of mine are knock-off and less expensive imitations ...

Get an Epiphone Les Paul (yes, they are indeed real Les Pauls), swap out the pickups, and pay a shop $50 to do a setup and dress the frets if necessary. You'll have an amazingly good LP for about 1/4 the cost of the Gibson version.

My #1 guitar is a 2013 Gib LP Standard and I'll be playing it in church tomorrow morning. There's no time between songs for swapping guitars, and this Paul is very versatile. The pickups can be switched between single and double coil and there's a phase switch to reverse the phase of the neck pickup (gives an approximation of the Peter Green tone with both pickups on). I can get everything from smooth jazz tones to driving metal to twangy country from the same guitar.

But don't sweat the gear. The magic comes from your fingers. Check out Joe Satriani using some junk equipment at a buddy's house to play "Surfing With the Alien."
https://www.guitartoneoverload.com/2016/02/03/satriani-playing-on-cheap-gear/

So are thumbscrews the kinky cousin of fingernails?

Why?...Why not?...

9e0950e06cd30d690ce2a941c6ec87fc--gross-people-dumb-people.jpg

Mine think they are there in order to trap hematomas, following compressive trauma, thus maximizing my discomfort.

Don't forget ear wax removal.
I have 5 nylon stringed guitars . Don't really need nails for them. Have 3 Steel string ones that I don't play often.
Chet Atkins would cancel a concert if he broke a nail
Tommy Emanual picks steel strings with his fingers ,some times with a thumb pick , sometimes a regular pick.
The lady with the long nails must have a willing butt wiper .

I thought I ended up in some guitar forum for a minute there.

Clearly the nose picking, the legos, and the ear wax are the right answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back