Envoy embraces LGBT equality! Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewJetPilot

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew J
Glad you found a happy spot to work, whomever the other a*hole airline is needs to be shamed and reported.

You mean they didn't already?

Matthew,

In your first post, you said you "graduated" from ATP in February. You also said you are getting "close" to upgrading. Could you expound on what exactly you "graduated" from, and how its possible that you're "close" to upgrading already?

Matthew,

In your first post, you said you "graduated" from ATP in February. You also said you are getting "close" to upgrading. Could you expound on what exactly you "graduated" from, and how its possible that you're "close" to upgrading already?
The regionals are hemorrhaging pilots to the majors at such a rate that first officer new hires are coming up for captain upgrades in less than a year. It's crazy.

The regionals are hemorrhaging pilots to the majors at such a rate that first officer new hires are coming up for captain upgrades in less than a year. It's crazy.

Yep, I get that, but I'm curious about some more details from Matthew's career path.

Just curious, do you believe all humans are "created" equal, or is it possible that some people think that there are higher and lesser evolved categories? I thought that evolution was the scientific consensus in university circles?

14 CFR Part 121.436

How did he obtain 1,000 hours from February until October, 8 months. If he graduated ATP, then went to the carrier and through the training program he would have 4 to 5 months line experience.

Yep. I have a close friend that spent less than 9 months and 200hrs at RAH before starting new hire for United. Just awarded EWR 75/76 in his new hire class.

14 CFR Part 121.436

How did he obtain 1,000 hours from February until October, 8 months. If he graduated ATP, then went to the carrier and through the training program he would have 4 to 5 months line experience.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Less than a year on the line to which is doable at 90 hours a month. In the case of the OP, I assumed some embellishment and 6-9 months away is getting close.

Matthew,

In your first post, you said you "graduated" from ATP in February. You also said you are getting "close" to upgrading. Could you expound on what exactly you "graduated" from, and how it’s possible that you're "close" to upgrading already?
Graduating from ATP as in completing their Fast Track program in its entirety. I instructed there after I finished my ratings and built my time until I began with Envoy in February. I said I’m “close” to upgrading, I haven’t yet. Likely within the next few months as many of our current CA’s have gotten sucked up to UA or AA. The seniority pool is moving quite quickly.
14 CFR Part 121.436

I haven’t yet, where did you gather that I have? I said I’m close to my CA upgrade and I anticipate it within the next few months. Being close and having already met requirements are two different things.

Just curious, do you believe all humans are "created" equal, or is it possible that some people think that there are higher and lesser evolved categories? I thought that evolution was the scientific consensus in university circles?
No, I believe everyone should be treated equally and based off several comments I’ve received on this board, I’m not sure many of you hold that same sentiment.

When someone is in the wrong, call out their BS. Too many passive people who say nothing and therefore the a*holes thrive on.

No, I believe everyone should be treated equally and based off several comments I’ve received on this board, I’m not sure many of you hold that same sentiment.
I feel confident that no one here is going to treat you differently as a pilot based on who you like to have sex with. They might treat you differently based on your bringing it up in every conversation though. Tell us more about yourself as a pilot, join in conversations about flying, ask questions about flying, and you'll just be one of the crowd.

I feel confident that no one here is going to treat you differently as a pilot based on who you like to have sex with. They might treat you differently based on your bringing it up in every conversation though. Tell us more about yourself as a pilot, join in conversations about flying, ask questions about flying, and you'll just be one of the crowd.
I am an LGBTQ+ activist and I feel empowered to spread awareness to promote equality within our society. Look, I made a post introducing myself which included a big part of who I am and the response was filled with negativity and bigotry. Yes, I am a pilot and that’s what I joined the group here for, but I also wanted to reach out and see if there were any other pilots that are part of the National Gay Pilots Association. I don’t see that as being something that I shouldn’t have done as that is what these online forums are made for. The fact that I inquired about something you and so many others didn’t like isn’t my fault. I suggest you search deep within to figure out why you feel the way you do about those who are different than you.

I’m going to disagree with that a little bit. I can confirm that there are a certain number of pilots on the airfield/at the job site that will treat you differently in a negative way when you tell them you are gay… or at least that has happened to me. I don’t advertise that I’m gay and when most people meet me, they assume I am straight; I don’t act like they think a gay person should act like. Typically the way they find out is they ask if I am married, and I tell them no but I am gay and live with my life partner. I feel if they are going ask a personal question such as about marriage, then they deserve an honest answer as they are probably gauging an interest in friendship. I’d say a good 70% of people simply respond with “oh cool” and we carry on with the conversation, but around 30% get really quiet, and find someway to end the conversation and leave. Good riddance…I don’t need them in my life. I’m too old for childish drama. I will add though, that of the other 70%, many, if not most, will add something to the effect of “that’s awesome man. You all should join my wife and I for dinner/drinks/a flight sometime” and they genuinely mean it. 20 years ago, most men would not have done that for fear of being accused of being gay themselves; times are changing though.

Why do we need to know who you like to have sex with?
Do you read about any other's on this site talking about their sexual orientation?
This is not the place for that.

So does that mean that every person here that mentions their wife or posts pictures of their wife and family out flying, that they are telling us all about their sex life?

Being gay isn’t about who a person has sex with. It’s about who you have enough love for that you want to spend the rest of your life with that person. For most, that’s the opposite gender. For many of us, it’s not.

I am an LGBTQ+ activist and I feel empowered to spread awareness to promote equality within our society.

Ahhh, so that is why you came here, to push your agenda for special privileges.

Don't ask, don't tell has worked well for me.

I worked with a guy that passed himself off as a woman. He is a good EMT and I did not worry about him being on the plane and working with the patients. We had a good working relationship but he understood, along with the couple other homosexuals, that don't ask, don't tell works, and we will get along well at work.

IBTL

I am an LGBTQ+ activist and I feel empowered to spread awareness to promote equality within our society. Look, I made a post introducing myself which included a big part of who I am and the response was filled with negativity and bigotry. Yes, I am a pilot and that’s what I joined the group here for, but I also wanted to reach out and see if there were any other pilots that are part of the National Gay Pilots Association. I don’t see that as being something that I shouldn’t have done as that is what these online forums are made for. The fact that I inquired about something you and so many others didn’t like isn’t my fault. I suggest you search deep within to figure out why you feel the way you do about those who are different than you.

Hi Matthew. I’m a GA pilot, so I don’t do it for a profession, but I have been professionally involved im aviation for close to 30 years now. I’m also gay. It’s very comforting to know that aviation, and the professional world at large, is becoming a lot more accepting of the LGBTQ community. No one enjoys and appreciates that acceptance more than myself. But as you are seeing, it would be very naïve to think that we would be accepted with open arms by everyone. There is still a tremendous amount of discomfort, fear, and often downright hatred of the unknown. The times are certainly changing for the better, but don’t believe for a second that everyone around you will accept you as advertised. Enjoy the friends that accept you, and forget about the ones that don’t. You have much bigger and better things to worry about.

Hi Matthew. I’m a GA pilot, so I don’t do it for a profession, but I have been professionally involved im aviation for close to 30 years now. I’m also gay. It’s very comforting to know that aviation, and the professional world at large, is becoming a lot more accepting of the LGBTQ community. No one enjoys and appreciates that acceptance more than myself. But as you are seeing, it would be very naïve to think that we would be accepted with open arms by everyone. There is still a tremendous amount of discomfort, fear, and often downright hatred of the unknown. The times are certainly changing for the better, but don’t believe for a second that everyone around you will accept you as advertised. Enjoy the friends that accept you, and forget about the ones that don’t. You have much bigger and better things to worry about.
I'm not going to say you're wrong. But I think a vast majority of people really don't care what consenting adult you sleep with. You're gay. Congrats. I truly don't care. What I do care is having your choice shoved in my face and that being all you want to talk about. And I think that's why you're seeing some push back.

I’m probably going to dance around a ban here, with the terms of service, but I’d like to point out that the term “marriage”, is one that has long-standing and well-established historical moral and religious connotations and one cannot simply appropriate that, without challenging other long-standing historical positions, and it would be illogical to claim you cannot understand why there might logically be some pushback.
The first amendment protects your right to appropriate the term marriage like that, but it *should* also protect those who disagree for historical, moral, and/or religious reasons. I believe you are created equal, as a human, and support your right to express your opinions.

I'm not going to say you're wrong. But I think a vast majority of people really don't care what consenting adult you sleep with. You're gay. Congrats. I truly don't care. What I do care is having your choice shoved in my face and that being all you want to talk about. And I think that's why you're seeing some push back.

Shoved in your face? :confused2:

I'm pretty sure that reading his posts and his threads is voluntary.

I feel confident that no one here is going to treat you differently as a pilot based on who you like to have sex with.

I’m going to disagree with that a little bit. I can confirm that there are a certain number of pilots on the airfield/at the job site that will treat you differently in a negative way when you tell them you are gay…

No one here knows whether I'm gay or straight or whether I like brunettes or blonds or am an ass man or a boob man. No one here talks about what sexual positions they prefer, what their fetishes are, or the best lines to pick up chicks or guys. No one here knows if I'm cis or trans or even if I'm a man or a woman. Or if they do know any of those things, it's because they were relevant to a conversation about flying.

But most importantly, I'm sure that no one here cares because all of those things are the least interesting things I could have to discuss with another pilot.

No one here knows whether I'm gay or straight or whether I like brunettes or blonds or am an *** man or a boob man. No one here talks about what sexual positions they prefer, what their fetishes are, or the best lines to pick up chicks or guys. No one here knows if I'm cis or trans or even if I'm a man or a woman. Or if they do know any of those things, it's because they were relevant to a conversation about flying.

But most importantly, I'm sure that no one here cares because all of those things are the least interesting things I could have to discuss with another pilot.
I think Whitney might have discussed some of those things

Shoved in your face? :confused2:

I'm pretty sure that reading his posts and his threads is voluntary.
It's in the title of multiple threads... but yes, I was being a little overdramatic

No one here knows whether I'm gay or straight or whether I like brunettes or blonds or am an *** man or a boob man. No one here talks about what sexual positions they prefer, what their fetishes are, or the best lines to pick up chicks or guys. No one here knows if I'm cis or trans or even if I'm a man or a woman. Or if they do know any of those things, it's because they were relevant to a conversation about flying.

I’m not disagreeing with your post. I do find it interesting that you didn’t add the next sentence in the second quote, as it highly pertains to the sentence you quoted. Again, I don’t advertise it, I don’t talk about it, and most that meet me have no idea. But if somebody cares enough asks, I’m going to tell them. That’s not shoving it in their face.

So does that mean that every person here that mentions their wife or posts pictures of their wife and family out flying, that they are telling us all about their sex life?

Maybe if they did it in every post/thread. Or pointed out that they are straight in every thread.

The OP has mentioned it in every thread he has started. Do you introduce yourself as, "Hi, My Name is XXXX and I am gay/straight/trans/whatever?"

I don't have any issues with anyone's orientation. I pick the people I hang out with by how they act and what common interests we have.

But I also don't care for it being pushed at every turn.

I’m not disagreeing with your post. I do find it interesting that you didn’t add the next sentence in the second quote, as it highly pertains to the sentence you quoted. Again, I don’t advertise it, I don’t talk about it, and most that meet me have no idea. But if somebody cares enough asks, I’m going to tell them. That’s not shoving it in their face.

And I am more than fine with that.

The lead person for one of my teams at work is gay. I did not know for over 5 years. He does not hide it, but it just never came up.

The person you quoted is also not the original poster, sport.
Fair. I didn't mean to be negative towards you and how you went about your preferences in any way. My point was the reaction you see was probably (hopefully) a reaction to multiple sexual preference topics that has very little to do with flying or airplanes, and hopefully nothing to do with homophobia. It is quite literally the only thing the op has talked about and shown little interest in having a discussion about anything else.

Maybe if they did it in every post/thread. Or pointed out that they are straight in every thread.

The OP has mentioned it in every thread he has started. Do you introduce yourself as, "Hi, My Name is XXXX and I am gay/straight/trans/whatever?"

I don't have any issues with anyone's orientation. I pick the people I hang out with by how they act and what common interests we have.

But I also don't care for it being pushed at every turn.

I agree 100%.

The whole point I was trying to make by posting to this thread is that, 1. yes, times are changing and the LGBTQ community is becoming more accepted and that is a good thing; 2. I’m a gay aviation professional and can confirm that there is still a lot of animosity against the LGBTQ community, and aviation is not exempt from that; and 3. Yes, even as a gay person, I agree the OP is being a little over the top.

None of those things are mutually exclusive.

Fair. I didn't mean to be negative towards you and how you went about your preferences in any way. My point was the reaction you see was probably (hopefully) a reaction to multiple sexual preference topics that has very little to do with flying or airplanes, and hopefully nothing to do with homophobia. It is quite literally the only thing the op has talked about and shown little interest in having a discussion about anything else.

Thanks. Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back