You can fix everything with WD40 and Duct Tape

Mythbusters has multiple episodes showing what duct tape can and cannot do.

I’ve seen WD40 touted as an anti-ice treatment. Spray your wings before a flight and you’re FIKI.

The article clams that the tape is to cover up peeling paint. What would be the reason for doing that?

If you can't Duck it...well you know the rest.

What a choice... peeling paint or duct tape. How hard must it have been to decide that duct tape all over the wing was preferable to seeing peeling paint? (yes, I'm sure there were also arguments about drag from flailing paint vs drag from duct tape)
I can hardly think anyone saw the plane (see the article for pics) and thought it was a good look.

And I am personally a fan of the argument that between duct tape and wd40 you can solve 90% of all your problems.

And I am personally a fan of the argument that between duct tape and wd40 you can solve 90% of all your problems.

only if we can use the duct tape on certain people...

I can neither confirm or deny people have been successfully dealt with using duct tape.

FYI: its not duct tape. Its mylar speed tape and comes in different ratings. They been using this tape for legal temporary repairs for decades. Majority MEL procedures will give tape lengths and orientations. Its also used on helicopter blades to prevent erosion at leading edge scarf joints. While it may look awkward its really a non-issue on the maintenance side. Like the 787, Airbus 350s are having similar problems with paint, etc. due to the composite structures and paint issues.

To be fair, most of what you can do with a cable tie can be done with duct tape

Back