Why chock the wheels when in a hangar?

I saw security video once of a twin Cessna mysteriously rolling slowly backwards into a hangar wall at 1am without a human around it for hours prior. Call it ghosts or whatever, but simple chocks would've saved alot of money, finger pointing, and hard feelings.

Off topic a little...
How many folks leave their tug or tow bar attached to your plane while in the hangar?

After reading online about remote controlled tugs being affected from RF interference while no one is in the hangar greatly concerned me.

So for me I don't ever leave my tug attached to the plane without me touching it. It would be very easy to taxi into it. And being electric even though it is NOT remote controlled, I don't totally trust it. It could short out or? when I am not around. So I keep it away from the plane.

How do you do it?

I leave the tow bar attached to nose wheel and chock the nose wheel. Hangar is pretty level too.

I leave my Sidewinder attached, but the battery removed, while in the hangar.

And I obsessively double-double check that I've removed it and either stowed it in the plane, or placed it on the shelf in the hangar.

You're right, why use chocks?

I use a tow bar at the nosewheel.

Off topic a little...
How many folks leave their tug or tow bar attached to your plane while in the hangar?

After reading online about remote controlled tugs being affected from RF interference while no one is in the hangar greatly concerned me.

So for me I don't ever leave my tug attached to the plane without me touching it. It would be very easy to taxi into it. And being electric even though it is NOT remote controlled, I don't totally trust it. It could short out or? when I am not around. So I keep it away from the plane.

How do you do it?

I leave my towbar attached but remove the power unit (i.e., me).

Towbar stays on in the hangar, but once I pull it out, towbar is not attached unless it's in my hand. That's a hard rule ever since a hangar neighbor years ago saved me from starting up with the towbar on (typical "interrupted routine" story).

I do chock in the hangar, the asphalt floor is uneven and it's a slight uphill push.
Pitot cover on for bugs.
Cowl plugs go in during the winter for the remote-controlled engine heater, and during rodent migration season.

Might as well put the canopy on the plane too in the hangar if you got that much free time.

Hell, I even chock my truck in the driveway.
But it is a hill.

Towbar stays on in the hangar, but once I pull it out, towbar is not attached unless it's in my hand.

Same. My hangar neighbor doesn't like that I leave my towbar on in the hangar and I think he's wasting time taking his off every time he puts his plane away. I have to use it to pull my plane out, and I'm not starting my plane in the hangar, so no risk.

I saw security video once of a twin Cessna mysteriously rolling slowly backwards into a hangar wall at 1am without a human around it for hours prior. Call it ghosts or whatever, but simple chocks would've saved alot of money, finger pointing, and hard feelings.
Pretty sure the ghosts would have pulled the chocks if they'd been in place...

You're right, why use chocks?

I use a tow bar at the nosewheel.
Better than nothing!
IMG_51601.jpg

I chock the front wheel in the hanger. Besides a slightly uneven floor, we get the occasional earthquake that could get things rolling.

The floor of my hangar is asphalt. The tires settle in after a while. There is a depression where the mains used to be. I cannot move the plane out of the hangar by myself without the gas powered tug if the mains drift into the depressions. Chocks make sure the wheels stop at exactly the same and correct point short of the depressions each push back. I have just enough room to close the door with the tow bar on, and it's ready to go next time.

My hangar is sloped toward the door. It's gentle enough that the Navion does stay put usually, but I've caught it rolling. I just use a rather plane Sporty's chock under the nose gear. This is useless outdoors as a good wind will cause the Navion to roll over those little things.

I once forgot to disconnect the tow bar before closing the hangar door which broke the Dewalt drill that powers the thing. It's amazing how many little helical gears and things are inside that. Took me a while to sweep up all the parts.

Dec 2019 I
I would call that chocking the wheel. Using the tow bar.

Otherss are talking about leaving the tow bar in place to tow.

Yes I asked that question above about how people felt about leaving the tow bar on while in the hangar. Was curious how everyone handled that.

Early on I would leave the manual tow bar on and not chock the tire in the hangar. I was lazy I would say.
Then...I hung a new engine on my plane and shortly after that for medical reasons I purchased a electric tug.
Between those 2 large investments I came to the conclusion I could no longer risk tearing up my new tug and a new engine not to mention my used propeller if I ever forgot to remove the tug. Luckily the tug is very easy to hookup and remove, no bending over.
Plus now that my hangar is getting full there is no room for the tug to stay attached so I really can't cut that corner any longer and leave the tug attached. My 2 cents.

Do you cut grass with your plane attached? How handy in case you wanted to take a flight in the middle of your yard work to go pickup some beer.
yup…

Attachments

• 468DD406-3BB9-4ED2-B8B1-C7337301CCD0.png
    468DD406-3BB9-4ED2-B8B1-C7337301CCD0.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
Jealous of you guys with worn out John Deeres that got converted to tugs. When my old JD wore out it was the engine that blew so it wasn't going to work as a tug or a mower :(

Sometimes the old John Deere can't be saved ... but there are options!:D

I put a caribiner on my tow bar. I hang my keys on it if I’m going flying, first thing when I enter the hangar. Improves the odds of not starting the plane with the tow bar still attached.

Back