How to move on from airplane crash

I fly a 182. It’s an ice box. I have had some occ stumbles with carb heat after a long idle at ramp then taxi especially on these more humid evenings when temps starting to drop just a touch. If I have passing thought about icing I pull the carb heat.
NTSB told me they recommend pulling carb heat for a few seconds right before takeoff. I don't do it, but they thought I should!

PPS> I still second guess flying in a way I never did prior to my accident, but I think that makes me safer.

This is exactly why commercial pilots are required to have 250hrs, and a pretty good argument as to why ATP requires 1500hrs. You just can't fly that much and not have stuff happen that you have to figure out both during the flight and after the flight.

Events like the OP's have the potential to make him a much better pilot. He will probably never take off again without thinking about what to do if the engine quits.

Brian

Never been in a crash, but I did scare the crap out of myself about 20 years ago. Had gotten 5 hours of aerobatics lessons and got signed off for solo rental of the local Decathlon. Was practicing for my first IAC contest. I did a loop and, unknown to me, the folding rear seat back flopped over the rear control stick. When I pulled out of the loop and attempted to push the stick forward to level flight, it would not budge. The stick was locked fully rearward while I was flying 140mph.

Things get hazy in my mind about what happened next, but I'm pretty sure the aircraft looped again. Now, on the list of things that will make you crap your pants as a pilot, doing a loop when you did not INTEND to do a loop is up there. As I came around level for the second time, I cut power to stop the aircraft from going over the top again. The nose rose until I was in a steep climb, then I fed power back in and managed to get the aircraft stable at MCA in about a 45 degree nose up attitude, about 0.1mph above stall speed.

I had a parachute, so I decided to bail out. When I reached to eject the door, I heard a rattling noise in the back and surmised what might have happened. I unbuckled my harness, reached back, and managed to free the control stick. I landed at the closest airport, stopped in the middle of the runway, and got out of the aircraft hyperventilating. I stood by the airplane on the runway for about 30 minutes, trying to collect myself.

At that point, I had 2 choices: fly the aircraft back to home base and call it a day, or finish my practice session. Had I returned the aircraft, I am fairly sure I would never have flown acro again. The fear and anticipation would have built up until I was completely terrified. I chose to finish my practice session. 20 years later I am still flying aerobatics and loving it.

Moral of the story: get back on the horse. Go find a plane and fly the damn thing. Force yourself to face your fears.

I have also survived a crash. I was back into general aviation about a year later (most of that year was recovering physically, I was badly burned).

Everyone is different. Some move on. Some jump back on the horse. Some it affects them the rest of their lives.

But, if you are not the type to jump back on or at least move on, counselling is probably a good idea. Of, if you still want to continue to fly, it would also help

I'm an Ag Pilot. Thats been my full time job for almost 20 years. I have had two total write offs due to mechanical failures and two engine failures that ended better. I don't know anybody personally In the industry that has never dealt with such events. I know two people that quit Ag after their first unscheduled landing. The only person who can answer your question as to whether or not you should keep flying is you, yourself. No shame in quiting, not a super human for continuing. The answer is in you. You'll find it.

M2C - get your CFI or some other pilot in right seat, and go flying. Don't decide to quit without getting in the saddle. That way if you quit it's because you just don't want to, vs the crash is in back of your head.

I recently was in an airplane crash in a small plane that I honestly should not have survived. Shortly after takeoff the plane refused to climb and began to descend. With no place to land (was near mountains and forest) Me and my friend who is a CFI went for the town next to the small airport. As we went down I had already accepted in my head that there was no way we would survive as there was nothing but houses and trees and I was literally preparing myself thinking this was the end . Somehow, we skimmed over houses and shot a small gap between all of the power lines crossing the small road, smashed down and slammed into a hill. The airplane crumpled like a can. Walked away with just a scratch. By far the scariest moment in my life and has left me really shaken up mentally. I currently have my private, and all I have ever wanted to do was get to the airlines to be a pilot. After this crash, I don’t know if I’m able to go back up anytime soon as this near death experience has really gotten to me. Now I’m uncertain about what to do next in my aviation career or if maybe this isn’t what I’m supposed to do. Any advice going forward? Before anyone asks, all weight and balance was done, and everything checked out. The engine just would not perform.

Just like crashing a car, bike, or motorcycle, you just have to go flying. If you don't force yourself to do that much you'll not only never finish training, you'll likely struggle in other things in life as you get older.

When I was going into the service I asked an old friend of my dad about how to get through Ranger Training. He said simple, just never quit and if you do get through it, it will change you for the better for the rest of your life.

Sound advice in that situation, sound advice in most any other situation as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back