OSH Severe Storm

Same here. Was going to make a run for it early am today from KRAP to beat the storm but just seemed to be pushing too much.

And this is why one must be flexible. It’s great to have plans, but adjust them as needed. Expect inbound traffic to be heavy, once it opens up again. My plans are for Thursday.

5f41a3150f03dcf9775a0dd50b60628a.jpg

Whee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as bad as Wednesday last year, but it’s a strong one. I see multiple wrecked canopies out the window. I have some leaking because the storm is coming straight at my tent door, can see drips through the zipper. Big tents are nice, but they catch a lot of wind.

Last edited:
Looks as bad as Wednesday, direct hit.

I'm there. Was in the car when it happened. Definitely a big one! Rest of the week should be very nice, but not tonight.
Hope everyone is warm and dry and safe and happy. See you all soon!

My tent poles never bent in backwards tonight.

second wave starting.

The temp dropped from 89 to 67 in 30 minutes.

Tents and pop up canopies on both sides of me are down, one tent is torn. The camper across from me has his awning ripped off. Hopefully the next round is milder.

I’m near the corner of the cornfield, 25th and elm. Maybe I got lucky.

too late for the laundromat tonight? Will have to go in the morning.

all good row 94 vintage, had hold the tent up for a bit, but not a problem

A few collapsed tents around me by Friar Tucks, but seems like most people are fine. I have a broken, now dangling static wick, which confuses me. I didn’t think a storm could do that.

A few collapsed tents around me by Friar Tucks, but seems like most people are fine. I have a broken, now dangling static wick, which confuses me. I didn’t think a storm could do that.

What row are you in? We’re within rock throwing distance of Friar Tucks.

What row are you in? We’re within rock throwing distance of Friar Tucks.

I’m in 547. The very last row before the road. That’s what Fisk at 7:10 AM Saturday gets you these days I guess.

Yeah. I’ve never been over here before. 551 for me. Close to town, though.

having an OSH storm moment here as well

what were you doing in your backyard in a tent during a thunderstorm?!

wait, we don’t want to know.

Round 3 barely missed to the south, but that was very impressive lightning.

Ok, are we finally done now?

The 6 PM wave had the strongest winds, reported at 50KTS gusts. By the 1:30 AM pounding came through, it was nice and even put right me back to sleep. Thankfully no hail.
Dumpster by registration was full of tents. And now the first IFR arrival just popped out of the clouds. That was cool.

Turned out to NOT be a big deal.

Follow-up. We were in the restaurant/bar at Sleepy Hollow when the wind hit. Didn’t notice much damage last night, but there are a lot of wet/messed up tents, quite a few rudders that got damaged and one damaged rudder adjacent to me that it probably isn’t flightworthy.

Follow-up. We were in the restaurant/bar at Sleepy Hollow when the wind hit. Didn’t notice much damage last night, but there are a lot of wet/messed up tents, quite a few rudders that got damaged and one damaged rudder adjacent to me that it probably isn’t flightworthy.

Not there yet, but heard the same report through the grapevine - damaged rudders - even WITH gust locks in place - on several RVs last night. No bueno.

The laundromat is standing room only. My tepee is waterlogged, the rain drove the water into the fabric.

A number of damaged rudders in HBC. We dodged a bullet as my gust lock came undone sometime during the storm. You can see where the rudder was hitting the stops but luckily no damage. A static biplane over at the museum got flipped.

Watching flightaware is very entertaining right now.

A number of damaged rudders in HBC. We dodged a bullet as my gust lock came undone sometime during the storm. You can see where the rudder was hitting the stops but luckily no damage. A static biplane over at the museum got flipped.

Attachments

• 0BD6D847-BE79-476A-BB2B-0F0D119AA8D3.jpeg
    0BD6D847-BE79-476A-BB2B-0F0D119AA8D3.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 90
Back