Instant Replay (ATC Audio/Tx)

AerialsSoUpHigh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AerialsSoUpHigh
After googling around, my hopes are not high but I thought maybe someone here might know or have a suggestion - aside from buying a new com like a GMA345 (which is not an option for a number of reasons), is there any way to acquire "instant replay" functionality in the cockpit?

I know Lightspeed has their flightlink app but I believe its apple-only and I'm a lowly android user. I do have a ipad but its an EFB with all app installation functions blocked. I'd also need to at least buy a used LS headset.

I wish there was just something like a basic voice recorder I could put in-line of our headsets (Bose) that had some kind of instant replay button.

I know, I know... just learn to remember what I'm told the first time lol... but I figure if garmin puts this feature on all their current com equipment, I must not be alone. I used to fly with garmin coms and gosh I miss this feature badly.

Yes the play button is nice on my gma 345.
Sorry I don’t have any suggestions.

I flew with a older CFII and he was surprised with that function. He warned me I could miss a ATC tramission using it. I didn’t bother correcting him and just stopped using it while training.

And on the flip side, you aren’t that special. Listen and the instruction you will get in five minutes will be given to the aircraft ahead of you a couple times. If it is a first and you miss it, “say again, please.”

I'm not sure how it is to be used.
If you listened to the atc message live, then press your replay button to hear it again, I'd think the controller would figure you missed the call because you left him/her waiting so long. Definitely the case, if we are talking about a clearance.
Maybe you listen to it after you are done talking? That wouldn't be much use though, b/c you already read back the instruction.

Some years ago there was talk of ATC texting pilots instead of voice communications. Seems that was for the big birds though and I have no idea where they are with that now. Here's a reference article from six years ago.

https://www.aviationpros.com/airpor...xt-between-air-traffic-controllers-and-pilots

For GA planes this seems a good option as the message would be there for both sender and receiver to read and verify. The downside is it puts the pilots eyes inside the plane at perhaps the wrong time to be doing so.

Some years ago there was talk of ATC texting pilots instead of voice communications. Seems that was for the big birds though and I have no idea where they are with that now. Here's a reference article from six years ago.

https://www.aviationpros.com/airpor...xt-between-air-traffic-controllers-and-pilots

For GA planes this seems a good option as the message would be there for both sender and receiver to read and verify. The downside is it puts the pilots eyes inside the plane at perhaps the wrong time to be doing so.
I can see it now...

"Is that the "go around" or "LAHSO" emoji?

Does the poop emoji mean that I have established communication with class D or does it have to come with my call sign?

Yes the play button is nice on my gma 345.
Sorry I don’t have any suggestions.

I flew with a older CFII and he was surprised with that function. He warned me I could miss a ATC tramission using it. I didn’t bother correcting him and just stopped using it while training.

Maybe its just me but its a particular irk of mine when someone corrects me not having done the research and being incorrect themselves (the fact that the replay halts to let in new transmissions, in the case of the 345). I commend you for not giving him a hard time :D.

"Say Again please for Bugmasher 123AB"
The idea is to hopefully avoid wasting air/radio time (and perhaps avoid the ire of a cranky, overworked, or very busy controller) lol. Also maybe a teensy bit to not sound less capable than I actually am :D

you aren’t that special.
Thats not what my mommy told me this morning when she kissed my forehead as she handed me my lunch pail, bub!

I have replay on my Garmin audio panel. Haven’t used it once, yet.
I wish I was as good as you are, truly.

I'm not sure how it is to be used.
If you listened to the atc message live, then press your replay button to hear it again, I'd think the controller would figure you missed the call because you left him/her waiting so long. Definitely the case, if we are talking about a clearance.
Maybe you listen to it after you are done talking? That wouldn't be much use though, b/c you already read back the instruction.
Its mostly handy if they throw in an extra thing I wasn't expecting like an altimeter setting, or a freq (esp one I wasn't expecting). Certainly if its a whole clearance I'm writing it down and ready with a utensil. The other thing is if someone is talking - I used to use it aaalll the time as a CFI, students would be asking questions or I'd be talking and I'd think I heard my tail and I just need to play the 1st second or two of a tx to confirm that was for us, as soon as I key the rest of the replay stops. These days I either have an owner talking to me or a copilot blabbering, but same thing... "was that for us?" it takes just as long to ask that and get an answer as it does to just play the 1st couple seconds, and controllers are pretty rarely that pushy that they repeat themselves before then.

Some years ago there was talk of ATC texting pilots instead of voice communications. Seems that was for the big birds though and I have no idea where they are with that now.
I never really played MSFS much but I do remember for the little I did thinking how flippin' awesome it would be to have the text of a Tx on my screen. I still think that would be an absolutely MASSIVE improvement, and theres really no reason we couldn't have that these days. Even just from a standpoint of being able to send out canned messages, I'm thinking how much easier a controllers life would be during a rush into O'Hare or something.

Our Cessna 340 has a FLIGHTCOM DVR-300i in it. I rarely use the replay function. Not sure if they still make it. Flightcom Product Sheets.qxd
Yeah I know there are panel options but I don't own the plane I fly now, so I can't really do that.

I don’t get the usefulness of ATC replay.
I envy you.

I can see it now...

"Is that the "go around" or "LAHSO" emoji?

Does the poop emoji mean that I have established communication with class D or does it have to come with my call sign?
I can only imagine the silliness we'd see if they enabled emojis or dealing with emoticons rofl.

ACT: "I've got a new route clearance for you, acknowledge when ready to accept"
You: (╮°-°)╮┳━━┳ ( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻
You: Go ahead
:lol:

I don't own any of the equipment being discussed here, so I don't really have any skin in this game.
But some of the back and forth about it possibly being a problem, or not, reminds me of a remark a snarky instructor wrote in my father's logbook in 1947, while getting his seaplane rating.
The owner of the seaplane base had just had radios and intercoms installed in most of his bigger planes, including the Grumman Goose Dad was getting checked out on.
"Your insistence on using these 'gadgets' is going to get you killed if you can't hear me talking to you."
Dad was wearing a headset and mic. The instructor refused to use "useless toys and gimmicks", insisting shouting above the noise had worked since the days of the Wright brothers.
Dad got a different instructor. And his rating.

I got into a disagreement with a CFI as to what the approach controller said. I hit the replay button and settled the argument (I was right and he was wrong).

I got into a disagreement with a CFI as to what the approach controller said. I hit the replay button and settled the argument (I was right and he was wrong).
Theres all sorts of handy uses haha

I’ve got it, but I’ve never used it. I’m not even sure how to use it. I probably should figure it out.

I have used it a couple of times. Flying along and have a convo with the passenger, suddenly you are called about center freq and he just vanishes. Just hit play and you get what he said. Pretty cool.

Woah you seriously might be onto something.

"Alexia, replay the last 10 seconds of our argument."
:lol:

No thanks! When the wife says you're wrong it's time to go into grovel mode ... don't do things that make the punishment greater. She has the power ... :D

But seriously, back to the original need: I was also not fully understanding some ATc calls and had the same thought about a replay device. Last year I downloaded the Appareo Voice Recognition app. It advertises that it can convert voice to text more accurately than other, non-aviation, conversion services. I paid $50 for a custom Appareo cable (it won't work with other splitter cables) that connects from my headset cable to my iPhone and paid $5 monthly for the service. It's an app that displays the transmissions it hears on the current frequency. In short, I tried it on several flights and found it unusable. Incorrect transcription of text is a nuisance, but it often scrambled numbers which I felt was a serious issue. In my opinion, it really had to get altitudes and headings exactly and reliably correct. Not recommended.

Back