Air-to-Air Piper Comanche

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
If you're a member of Piper Owner Society, you've probably seen the articles about Greg Piehl's restoration of his Comanche. I can say I expected it to be nice, but not this nice! Beautiful plane.

52121431371_2fd62437d4_b.jpg

52121460438_51199affbe_b.jpg

52121930130_b4f1ee1d65_b.jpg

52121429971_ca377c426a_b.jpg

52121428431_c50c14f489_b.jpg

52121927995_bcfa912ef1_b.jpg

52121673479_219707705b_b.jpg

52121927540_785fba8e68_b.jpg

52121926710_060708a81e_b.jpg

Dude did upgrades, and didn't go with the single sided landing gear? For shame, for shame!

Ah the Comanche, the Perfect airplane, hence the Papa on the end of the registration on almost all of them.

A crime against humanity when Piper quit building them to push their much cheaper and easier to build Arrow.

Ah the Comanche, the Perfect airplane, hence the Papa on the end of the registration on almost all of them.

A crime against humanity when Piper quit building them to push their much cheaper and easier to build Arrow.
Always thought piper took a giant step backward in so many respects when the Cherokee came out compared to the Comanche. If I ever find a good C model, it's gonna take quite a bit of restraint. Many people think Van's wanted to best Comanche performance when they designed the 10.

For those that haven't seen the resto, the inside looks just as good as the outside. Complete with beautiful "king ranch" leather interior and rams horn yokes, no wonder he won reserve grand champion for the class. Greg was behind getting the Trio autopilot certified. He reached out to Dynon about possibly getting there's certified for the pa28.

Yep. More to come, but here's a couple of pics.

Very nice remodel. The only thing I miss on these remodels though is the panel. The new panel being cut from a flat piece of sheet metal just seems so...sterile. The old plastic panels had some texture and contours that gave it more character, but obviously those don't last.

I still wouldn't kick it out of bed though. Gorgeous example of a "Perfect" plane. :D

Holy cow! Great shots as usual, but that INTERIOR! WOW! WOW! and WOW! That guy hit it out of the park!

If you're a member of Piper Owner Society, you've probably seen the articles about Greg Piehl's restoration of his Comanche. I can say I expected it to be nice, but not this nice! Beautiful plane.

52121431371_2fd62437d4_b.jpg

52121460438_51199affbe_b.jpg

52121930130_b4f1ee1d65_b.jpg

52121429971_ca377c426a_b.jpg

52121428431_c50c14f489_b.jpg

52121927995_bcfa912ef1_b.jpg

52121673479_219707705b_b.jpg

52121927540_785fba8e68_b.jpg

52121926710_060708a81e_b.jpg
Great photos and great looking plane!!

Awesome pictures @Lowflynjack !

I really love the Comanche.. there's a B E A UTIFUL one in our club that's really attracted me to the type. Nice panel, great paint. Everything works, GFC 500. Hopefully no one destroys it. It's a -250 model

upload_2022-6-9_13-5-25.png

However missing wheel covers on retracts have always bothered me. I get the complexity / weight / speed gain often doesn't necessitate it but it just looks 'unfinished'

horrible pictures of a horrible looking plane. no wait, the opposite of that.

Truly a beautiful aircraft. I think I would have gone with a different carpet than the red, despite it matching the paint scheme, but that's a pretty small nit to pick.

If the Comanche was any cleaner you'd never get it slowed down.... ;)
lol true story. I love how they look, that wing is the perfect planform shape

I always heard the tooling and production line was destroyed when the Lock Haven plant was flooded back in '72. Maybe just a convenient excuse? The Cherokee line wasn't exactly a bomb.

C.

I always heard the tooling and production line was destroyed when the Lock Haven plant was flooded back in '72. Maybe just a convenient excuse? The Cherokee line wasn't exactly a bomb.
The flood caused by Hurricane Agnes on 23 June 1972 was neither the first nor the last flood to hit Piper's Lock Haven plant, but it was the most damaging. Over 250 aircraft, finished or in various stages of construction, were damaged or destroyed, including twenty-one Comanches and twenty-five Twin Comanches. Among the airframes destroyed were N9300P, the prototype PA-24-300 Comanche that was first flown in 1967, and N8300Y, the prototype of a Twin Comanche 200 that had begun flight test shortly before the flood.

Though the factory was substantially damaged, production of Aztecs and Navajos resumed later in 1972, and Super Cubs and Pawnees in 1973. Production of the Cherokee and its derivatives, all in Vero Beach, Florida, was not affected. Navajo production moved from Lock Haven to Lakeland, Florida, after the flood.

At the time of the flood, Piper was already working on an improved version of the Twin Comanche, dubbed PA-40 Arapaho. Development continued after the flood with construction of one experimental prototype (lost during spin testing in 1973) and two pre-production prototypes. Changes from the PA-30/39 Twin Comanches included lengthened main landing gear, larger cabin windows and a much larger dorsal fin and a large ventral fin, to improve OEI handling, if not appearance. The Arapaho received FAA certification in 1974, and was planned for a 1975 model year debut. There were already preliminary plans for a 180 hp version and a T-tail, but those were never built. According to Piper historian Roger Peperell, Piper determined "there was not a big enough market for it and Piper management wished to use the Cherokee as the basis for its new models," so the PA-40 program was terminated.

Piper also planned an updated 260 hp single-engine Comanche, with airframe modifications similar to those of the twin-engine PA-40, to be introduced in 1974. But no prototype was ever constructed. Again, per Peperell, "[t]his updated Comanche would have been prohibitively expensive in relation to the Cherokee Arrow, hence a very restricted market which resulted in little justification to proceed with certification. The project was cancelled."

Hey all! I just found this great forum, and this post by Jack Fleetwood on my Comanche restoration! Yes, this is my plane! I had a fun time completing the work. It was never “will I ever finish her”? I flew her for the first time in 34 years last July. Three days later I flew her from Florida to Oshkosh and then around the Midwest for another week. I have over 75 hours on her now, performing just as a Comanche should!

Hey all! I just found this great forum, and this post by Jack Fleetwood on my Comanche restoration! Yes, this is my plane! I had a fun time completing the work. It was never “will I ever finish her”? I flew her for the first time in 34 years last July. Three days later I flew her from Florida to Oshkosh and then around the Midwest for another week. I have over 75 hours on her now, performing just as a Comanche should!

Welcome to POA!

C.
I believe the tooling was lost/destroyed/scrapped when it became new Piper in the 90's. Could be and probably am wrong

I think it was economics more than the flood. The flood may have set the timing of the end, but didn't cause the end. The Comanches were just too much more expensive to build. Because of how they are built, they will live on for a very long time.

Welcome to POA (aka… the funny farm). Beautiful Comanche. You’re an awesome caretaker.

Back