Used s-tec 20/30 install in a 172

Hangontight

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
South Paw
Looking for opinions on a cost effective autopilot for my 172. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my instrument training, should be done in about a month. Having done all my training without an autopilot, I can see where a simple wing leveler would really be a help while multi-tasking and also just reducing my workload enroute. I don't mind hand flying the terminal procedures so that's not important to me. Question: Is installing a used S-Tec 20/30 worth trying to save a few bucks (or is the liability of old equipment not worth the risk)? Seems like these are being removed in favor of the new digital autopilots. Also, does anyone have experience as to how many hours such an install would likely take?
Otherwise it will likely be an Aerocruze 100 or Trio. The GFC 500 is way out of my budget.

I think it’s a really dumb idea.

1. What you buy may need servos, computer or TC serviced, which isn’t cheap.
2. Manufactures can and do discontinue support of old hardware leaving you with an orphaned AP.
3. The cost to install will at least cost the same as a modern AP and will cost more if the stuff you buy has an issue.
4. The installation of old equipment will increase you aircraft value little.

Last edited:
About five years ago, I picked up a used STEC 55x out of a Cirrus upgrade for under $1,000. It cost $2,000 for the manufacturer to reissue the STC for my skyline, but it was still cheaper than the alternative. FWIW, I was swapping out a failed Stec 55 so I already had the servos.

Well.....I sold my last airplane to upgrade to an better autopilot. That's my choice. ;)

The STC will be pricey and you may have difficulty in finding a dealer willing to install a used autopilot. I would get a price on the STC and talk to the potential installer before making a decision.

IMO, save up your money and go for the GFC someday if you still have the 172 and have the money saved.
I am sure my dealer would not install a used AP. He had told me in the past I can't afford to have him repair, trouble shoot, install old avionics in my plane especially a AP. I asked if they would figure out why my DME is interment. He said "I just put a 650 in for you and you can't afford to have me look at the old DME". Don't need it with a GPS he said.
I had a GFC installed in my 172 in spring 2019. It has been worth it.

Last edited:
If you decide to go the STEC route, I have a 30 with GPSS coming out of my Tiger later this year.

FWIW - I was flying a 172 with a STEC 20 and it served well. It would track the HDG bug, a VOR source, or GPS course, but didn't have GPSS. At 172 speeds, GPSS wasn't a big deal. It was reliable and simple to operate - the control head incorporated the TC - no additional panel space required.

I'm not big on single pilot IFR in extended IMC in a light plane - hand flying for hours in the clag is a heavy workload. I'd want a wing leveler or better, but in a 172 I think even a wing leveler would be a real step up.

So yeah, getting something in there after you shop the $$$$ will improve your life.

I'm also in the "not a great idea" camp.

But then, I'm also the voice reminding people that Garmin 430s are over 20-years-old, and simply an announcement-letter away from being boat anchors.

A more modern piece of equipment should have a comparable labor requirement, and THAT's where the money is in the project. Not in the hardware acquisition.

I like the trio,waiting for the stc for Cessna 150

I have the Aerocruze 100 in a PA28-180 and I'm very happy with it . It cost a total of about 5k self installed under the supervision of an IA. If you decide to go that route we can talk about it more.

Last edited:
^^ This
Aerocruze/TruTrak ftw for cessnas

FWIW ... I recently installed a legacy wing leveler with tracking for less than 5AMUs (including STC letter). My first thought the first time I used it was, "Damn, I should have done this years ago." I was totally taken aback at how much it reduced my workload. It's great to be able scan more thoroughly for traffic, to look at maps, tune radios, refill the coffee cup and not have to worry about looking up every second to make sure the wings are level and you're on course.

The Aerocruze is better than the 30. Mine was about $5500 all in, and @simtech and I installed it in 3 days.

Back