Air Disasters…. I’m freekin’ hooked.

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
Can’t stop watching. Tons if good learning info, plus it shows just how good the NTSB (and foreign counterparts) really are.

Anyone else hooked on the show??

Hi, my name is Mike, and I’m hooked on Air Disasters.

All together now....

Ya, maybe. But I can stop anytime I want!

Before that it was Discovery’s “Wings”. Rough few years between that and Air Disasters.

So if aviation gets safe enough they stop Air Disasters, well, I don’t know... I’m. Hey, I don’t really wanna think about it...

There's some good parts, but there's too much dramatization for my tastes.

Investigator shows up on scene and talks with someone else about the condition of the debris. Then he says "We need to find the back box."

Only thing missing is...

yeaaaa.jpg

Before that it was Discovery’s “Wings”. Rough few years between that and Air Disasters.

So if aviation gets safe enough they stop Air Disasters, well, I don’t know... I’m. Hey, I don’t really wanna think about it...
While they have done a few recent things (Kobe Bryant accident, 737MAX) they generally focus on stuff from a decade or more in the past. They've done JFK Jr.'s and also (IIRC) John Denver's crashes.

I got the DVD box set years ago and enjoyed it. Haven’t watched many of the newer ones because Dish took Smithsonian Channel from me.

I enjoy watching it, but I accept it for what it is. It's difficult to cram weeks and months of investigation into less than an hour without omitting important steps and information.

I've been on numerous failure review boards for missile flight failures over the years, so I have some idea of what it's like to figure out what happened from mangled wreckage scattered over the desert floor plus some scant recorded data. It's fascinating work, and there's just no way to capture all the challenges in a TV episode, but they do a pretty fair job.

Kind of like any flying/aviation focused show…we flock to it like moths to a flame. Then we burnout and go somewhere else.

I miss the Red Bull Air Races and most aviation stuff I watch is internet and not TV based. I’ll watch a large part of Oshkosh in real time on the internet. That won’t ever make it to the boob tube.

Some are more believable than others, especially where political expediency is the involved, and the high-profile crashes *tend* to get better NTSB attention than the small stuff, IMO, which is one thing I think DG is correct about.

I enjoy watching it, but I accept it for what it is. It's difficult to cram weeks and months of investigation into less than an hour without omitting important steps and information.

I've been on numerous failure review boards for missile flight failures over the years, so I have some idea of what it's like to figure out what happened from mangled wreckage scattered over the desert floor plus some scant recorded data. It's fascinating work, and there's just no way to capture all the challenges in a TV episode, but they do a pretty fair job.
They could get in more investigation in that hour if there wasn’t so much dramatization. But it’s a TV show and they need advertisers who need lotsa people watching and folk like pretty faces to look at and blah blah……….

YT has about a dozen different presenters of aviation calamity. I think I've seen them all. I must have because every night I binge watch for a few hours. Mentour pilot is my latest favorite. Several steps above the others because of his piloting experience which allows him to interpret and analyze accurately.

They could get in more investigation in that hour if there wasn’t so much dramatization. But it’s a TV show and they need advertisers who need lotsa people watching and folk like pretty faces to look at and blah blah……….
This seems appropriate.

I think it’s a great show! I like the dramatization for entertainment value. Sure you’ll find some things as a pilot that are t “spot on” but that’s fine, we’re a small percentage of the population so nailing the mundane details isn’t vital always.

Back