Sun n Fun 2022 - Who went / Is there??

Thats good. Last year (2021), it seemed like ATC had to completely clear the airspace, including having the performer land and taxi to parking, before allowing Amazon to take off. And if an Amazon was inbound, the airshow performer would be “cut short”, and have to land and taxi to parking, with sufficient time for about 5 minutes of “clear airspace” for the Amazon landing. Then more “dead time” for the Amazon plane to complete landing and clear the runway. Then more time for the performer to taxi and takeoff, and get into routine. I’m not sure how ATC can “compress” this process, but good news if they found a way. I might consider spending a few thousand $$$, and attending again. Or, keep my powder dry, and go all in for KOSH, where there are no Amazon planes disrupting the airshow. However, if Amazon were to put up 5 of their aircraft, and do some aerobatics and close formation passes, I would be “all in” for that performance.

To be honest, we rarely watch the air shows anymore unless there’s something really unique like the Mars water bomber at Osh a few years ago. It’s just the same stuff over and over again.

I was there from Thursday mid day till Saturday early afternoon....drove my RV down in Thursday, arriving just in time for the squall. I was still standing at the registration window when it hit and for a moment I thought the trailer they were using as a check-in office was going to get blown away. It was nasty for a bit, and that afternoon was weird walking around the show....

Oh...and the Youtuber's. Yeah... I got a real kick out of that too. That's a new twist to these fly-ins that I never saw before.
I did make a point to say hi to any I saw and recognized...not because of any sort of hero worship, but because I really do appreciate most of them...I get entertainment and occasionally learn from them. I don't fully understand what motivates them to put themselves out there like they do. It's odd to me that they do it..... but still they are a 'public face' to GA, encouraging folks to become pilots, encouraging pilots to be safe, etc.... And for the sponsors....an effective way to grow brand awareness.... it works!
I actually had short conversations with a few of the youtubers that I said Hi to. Was actually kind of surprised that several of them seriously wanted to stop and talk. "Baron Pilot" and Kim seemed like genuinely good people and encouraging folks into GA, and while I didn't get a chance to have a conversation with them because someone was hitting them up for a photo-op but did say hi to "Aviation 101" Josh and Chelsea..and my read from how they were interacting with others and how they responded was that they are truly good and gracious people who are smart and trying to help. I wish that I had waited to talk with them.... Oh, I spoke with Dan Gryder too.... he's a riot in person too. Despite his controversy and polarizing way, I really do think that he's trying to help GA safety.

Kim and Kris are really awesome. I got to finally meet them at the last taping of "In The Hanger" in Ft. Worth. Mr. Aviation and his dad are also nice folks that provide value to GA.

Guessing he just met you for the first time.

First time I had any meaningful convos. I’ve talked to him a couple times at SnF, but he was at the Bose booth when I did that so he had to be nice.

To be honest, we rarely watch the air shows anymore unless there’s something really unique like the Mars water bomber at Osh a few years ago. It’s just the same stuff over and over again.

I had this same convo recently. I don’t think I’ll be at an airshow anytime soon. Same circus, same monkeys.

yet most have never even worked a real job flying.

I don't think you have to have worked a job flying to be knowledgeable about aviation. Mike Patey, for example, has never worked as a pilot; but he produces damn good content and knows ridiculous amounts about aviation.

I don't think you have to have worked a job flying to be knowledgeable about aviation. Mike Patey, for example, has never worked as a pilot; but he produces damn good content and knows ridiculous amounts about aviation.
For example, I know a guy in the oil industry that has flown GA all over the world. I’d find him way more knowledgeable about aviation than a dude that has only worked a real flying job in one US state. :)

For example, I know a guy in the oil industry that has flown GA all over the world. I’d find him way more knowledgeable about aviation than a dude that has only worked a real flying job in one US state. :)

Haha. It's all about niche. I may know more about how to fly internationally through south-east Asia, but I barely scratch the surface of David's expertise about Alaskan bush-flying.

Haha. It's all about niche. I may know more about how to fly internationally through south-east Asia, but I barely scratch the surface of David's expertise about Alaskan bush-flying.
We’ll said. I’d probably also throw in: US, UK, Europe, Africa and Australia with the modest south-east Asia. Point being even though you may have never worked a flying job. You know a thing or two about aviation and I’ve really enjoyed following your journeys. There are very few all inclusive’s in this world.

@Radar Contact, were you at sun n fun this year? I was looking for you and Jamie...even though I understand she doesn't do the shows anymore. I have enjoyed your channel

@Radar Contact, were you at sun n fun this year? I was looking for you and Jamie...even though I understand she doesn't do the shows anymore. I have enjoyed your channel
Glad you’ve enjoyed it Brad. We have a west coast attempt but fail coming up soon. Whenever I get caught up on editing.

We weren’t able to make SnF this year (work). We’ve been the past several and really enjoy it. Last year was her final OSH/SnF fly-in. I pushed her too hard. We flew non-stop from Chicago, had to descend thru some sketchy wx because we were told 3 hour IFR holding, was rough down low with lots of planes, they created an unpublished procedure with Winterhaven, tower lost their coms entering downwind with 3 planes under us and finally a 172 cleared on the right turned over and landed in front of us on the left. We had a good run. :)

We hope to make OSH this year. Maybe we’ll meet up at the SOS if you go.

Glad you’ve enjoyed it Brad. We have a west coast attempt but fail coming up soon. Whenever I get caught up on editing.

We weren’t able to make SnF this year (work). We’ve been the past several and really enjoy it. Last year was her final OSH/SnF fly-in. I pushed her too hard. We flew non-stop from Chicago, had to descend thru some sketchy wx because we were told 3 hour IFR holding, was rough down low with lots of planes, they created an unpublished procedure with Winterhaven, tower lost their coms entering downwind with 3 planes under us and finally a 172 cleared on the right turned over and landed in front of us on the left. We had a good run. :)

We hope to make OSH this year. Maybe we’ll meet up at the SOS if you go.

Quite a few folks just land at Winter Haven and rent a car, thereby avoiding the worst of the chaos. Winter Haven had lots of transients parked on the ramp and in the grass last week.

Quite a few folks just land at Winter Haven and rent a car, thereby avoiding the worst of the chaos. Winter Haven had lots of transients parked on the ramp and in the grass last week.
I landed at Tampa Exec and rented a car. It was simple, they have a nice spread of free food on Friday of the show.

I think Bartow serves as an alternative landing spot, they usually have cheap fuel as well.

I’ve used plant city before. They even sell admission there. It was pretty crowded last time I did it a few years ago.

We flew over on Friday morning. The holds over the lakes were jammed up and ATC closed them to anyone else entering. The controller said the there was an incident that closed the runway; he didn’t know what had happened. After a while, they started planes inbound, then shut it down again.

We diverted to Winter Haven to wait it out. Turns out that Winter Haven had shuttles to SnF ($15 round trip, pick your return time on any day). It worked out great.

I’ve used plant city before. They even sell admission there. It was pretty crowded last time I did it a few years ago.

The folks at plant city were super friendly, helpful, and accommodating. I would absolutely go back there. We stayed with good friends in the area (non pilots, but have interest in aviation). I'm not huge into the camping thing with the hot weather.

The folks at plant city were super friendly, helpful, and accommodating. I would absolutely go back there. We stayed with good friends in the area (non pilots, but have interest in aviation). I'm not huge into the camping thing with the hot weather.
I camped the two hottest nights. It really wasn’t bad. One night is enough for me though. I’m so close it’s not that hard to drive, so I’ll probably fly in and leave the plane and only camp on weds to see the night show.

P.S. Problem with hot chicks is.... Jody. Remember bois, Jody never takes a weekend off. Shoutout to my .mil peeps who know what I'm talking about. :D

Yep ... the one that makes you is often the one that breaks you ...

Back