The “I remember that day” thread…

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Not necessarily this specific day but…

Two years ago on this day, St. Patrick’s day, I was at my favorite pub enjoying a wine and some corned beef, and the place was virtually deserted. The following day, the sky fell and tens of thousands of businesses were shut down, too many livelihoods to count destroyed, and we all know the rest.

St. Patrick’s Day caught me off guard. I’m back here. Just had some corned beef. The place is getting busy actually. They weathered the storm. Mostly by operating as a speakeasy for the better part of a year.

Stories?

5 years ago on St. Patty's Day, I had 21 incisions made below the knee on my left leg and a radio frequency ablation done due to a blood clot that was about 16" x 5" x 1".

Afterwards, I was no longer able to use the pickup line, "Hey baby wanna see my thrombus?"

64 years ago on St Patrick's Day, I was one day old. Don't remember anything about it. Probably had too much to drink. That 98.6 degree milk will really mess you up.

To be honest, I never really celebrated the day that much except when my friends wanted to use it as an excuse to drink.

5 years ago on St. Patty's Day, I had 21 incisions made below the knee on my left leg and a radio frequency ablation done due to a blood clot that was about 16" x 5" x 1".

Afterwards, I was no longer able to use the pickup line, "Hey baby wanna see my thrombus?"

I remember that. Not that day specifically, but that time period when you were out of commission flying wise. But, that is sorted out, right? Hopefully so.

Let's see... It was... 1986. I reported for duty at Fort Hood after coming back from Germany. There were two units I could possibly be assigned to. One was the First Cavalry Division, and the second was the Second Armored Division.

Both of those were the Army's first combined arms units. The First Cav was an Infantry unit that had two brigades of armor assigned to them. The Second Armored Division was a tank unit that had the other half of the First Cavalry's Infantry. I mean it made sense. armor and heavy mech Infantry go hand in hand, and for a division commander, having half of your unit under the operational control of another division commander in actual deployment, that was unsettling. So, they decided that 1CD and 2AD would trade mech Infantry and armor off so that if you were Infantry, you could either go to Fort Hood to an Infantry unit, or an armor unit. Or vise versa.

There was of course a stigma. Infantry didn't want anything to do with tanks. I guess Bradley Fighting Vehicles were in a sense tanks but they really weren't. They were troop carriers designed to keep up with tanks but also with some form of defensive capabilities on their own.

Oh, where am I going with this. I didn't want to go in to a damned tank unit. I wanted to go to the Cav. Another guy I arrived with had the same thought and had some connections and said wait, hold out and I will get us both in the Cav. And he did.

That was the exact day the space shuttle Challenger blew up. I watched it on the news, as I was sitting in the reception station awaiting my assignment. It stuck in my mind, for years.

On St Patrick’s Day about ten years ago it was unusually warm and nice in Chicago. The parade announcer seemed to have already had a bit too much to drink.

That was the exact day the space shuttle Challenger blew up.

I was driving to work on Kadena Air Base, Okinawa that morning while listening to arms forces radio. (like I had much choice) They kept talking about the disaster referring to "it" and "it blew up" and I found myself talking to the radio, "WHAT blew up?!!!" It wasn't until I got to work that I learned it was the space shuttle.

Last edited:
I remember several St Paddy's days in Morristown NJ....the town turns into one big giant party. Hennesseys just off the green was an irish pub we hung out at regularly, they were famous for their bloody mary's. lots of good times were had there.

I remember several St Paddy's days in Morristown NJ....the town turns into one big giant party. Hennesseys just off the green was an irish pub we hung out at regularly, they were famous for their bloody mary's. lots of good times were had there.

You speak of this as if I wasn't there. Sheesh, bro.

My son was born on St Paddys day. I was filling out the paper work for the birth certificate and thinking of giving him the middle name O. Just O. Then he could be Ryan O' ________ But I chickened out and didn't do it.

Two years ago, around this time I was working at Steamboat Ski Area. We got the word the season was over by order of the Governor of Colorado. The whole operation closed everything within 24 hours, about four weeks early.

This year, two weeks ago, the Ski Area did away with indoor masking. Last remnants of the hoopla except the masks on local public transport.

Cheers

Two years ago, around this time I was working at Steamboat Ski Area. We got the word the season was over by order of the Governor of Colorado. The whole operation closed everything within 24 hours, about four weeks early.

This year, two weeks ago, the Ski Area did away with indoor masking. Last remnants of the hoopla except the masks on local public transport.

Cheers

u must be a darn good skier. x3.

Been Chicago born and we do St Paddy’s quite right. Went to Savannah, GA and holy smokes, it was the Chicago parade and fest crammed in a tiny town. Didn’t see REM but they were gone by then.

I remember that. Not that day specifically, but that time period when you were out of commission flying wise. But, that is sorted out, right? Hopefully so.

Yeah, after some mansplaining to an idiot at FAA. She might be the dumbest doctor I have ever encountered. I question whether she got her degree from a cracker jack box or not.

I remember the day - "Speedy" was Green.
He just sort of drifted into the small border town and stayed on after being refused entry in to Cananda.
Speedy was a smallish leprechaun sort of a fellow that thrived on drugs and alcohol with no visible means of support.
Just so happened a local "Trust Fund Lady " Took a liking to him and he lived as a "Kept man" when in her good graces.
Every once in a while he would fall off the "good behaviour" wagon and get booted out.
Of course this would get him off into a good drinking-drugging bout and have to stay at a local old Hotel- Bar .
A group of his friends decided to "clean him up " for St.Patricks Day bash and perhaps back into the Trust Fund Lady's good graces.
After plying Speedy with lots of "woe is me liquids" , this group of friends got him upstairs to the bath room tub down the hall for a bath. (old hotel ,shared bathroom) .
One of the fine friends had a bottle of Green tattoo ink or some sort of dye and thought it would be just the right stuff to get Speedy decorated up for the Green Beer Celebration that evening .
Needless to say he was the hit of the party that night . Even his hair and beard were green .
It won him back into the good graces of the Trust Fund Lady .
It took a month of scrubbing to get him back to near normal.

True story as told to me.

That was the exact day the space shuttle Challenger blew up. I watched it on the news, as I was sitting in the reception station awaiting my assignment. It stuck in my mind, for years.

I was in First Aid Class about my 2nd week of Basic Training. Saw just a bit of it looking through door of the Drill Sergeant’s Office. Other than that only heard what they told us and we read in the Sunday Newspaper.

Brian

When Reagan was shot, I was talking with another instructor at Arlington, TX airport.

Found out about the Challenger accident while having lunch with the wife, Irving, TX. Saw it on the TV's in Chili's restaurant.

For the Columbia accident I was in an internet cafe in St. Croix and had just sent an email accepting a new job. Looked up at a TV and it had just hit the news.

There are a few events where I remember where I was.

I was a little kid looking out the front window, during the gas crisis, when the national guard took over the local gas station, to enforce odd/even restrictions. That was weird.

I was home when Reagan was shot. Likewise Challenger, at home on a break from college. I remember a friend had commented that they're rushing these launches, about two weeks before. I watched part of the Rogers Commission hearings from the dorm lounge. I remember the o-ring in ice water demonstration.

I was talking with my landlord at the time, when the paper was delivered announcing that Iraq had invaded Kuwait. He didn't think it was a big deal. I read about the size of their army, and kind of went pale. I've never had a subscription to a paper, myself.

I was having dinner at the bar in a Watervliet restaurant when OJ had his slow speed chase. I only remember it because at the time, I had a Bronco one or two model years different than his. Great truck, but the only thing fast about it was the corrosion rate of the fuel tank.

I was driving to work when the first tower was hit. At work when the second plane hit. Within the week I was driving down.

I was at work when the 2003 northeast blackout happened. A little surreal, because I didn't lose access to running computers and Internet, and it took quite a while for the rest of the country to figure out that most of NY went dark.

I've spent too much time over the years at work.

I remember sitting at my coffee table in the great room while making calls for business customers I would see later that day when I heard a report of a plane hitting a building in New York. I turned on the TV and sat there in stunned silence and watched the rest unfold ...

Back