What do you look for in airplane videos/channels?

I'd much rather provide quality content to a tiny niche market than get famous around the world over something which is meaningless to me.

- Martin
Surely there's some middle ground here. Can I get well-to-do around North American over something I kinda like? :D

I don’t watch very many aviation videos. However I’m anxiously waiting for the next “I barely escaped certain death in a plane” video from Trevor Jacob to drop. The rest of the video dudes are mere amateurs in comparison.

Lots of great advice here. I put together a new video and published it today. I worked a lot of the advice that I got into the new video and will continue to do so. Kept it short, tried to limit the boring stuff. But I still made a video that I like and that fits me.

This is Part 1 of 2 (to keep it short). Part 2 is coming tomorrow, then shortly after I'll post a more detailed video of the IMC approach into KEDC.

Consider each video tells a story. There's a beginning, a middle and an end.

The more honest, personal stuff there is, the more compelling it is to watch.

I haven't watched any of your videos yet, but let people into your life thru your videos. Show your wife, your kids, your dogs - and let us learn a bit about them.

Let us see some of your mistakes.

I like aviation channels that are funny. Jimmy's World is like Jim Carrey started an aviation channel! :)

Last edited:
Getting back to this thread after watching more videos. I'm also passing on those "Top 10 cheapest planes to buy/fly, operate, étc". And there's a lot of that around.
Unless you are an A&P, how did the Youtuber came to that conclusion? Did he/she actually bought and maintain those planes?. Looks like most of those videos are a result of spending the afternoon checking online listings.

The sense of awe that we get when flying just doesn't come across on youtube. The audience won't feel what you felt. It's like telling a joke from your favorite comedian to a chimp ... just not going to translate. However, look at videos where people do magic for chimps and you can see that the message gets across. The things that do come across well on youtube are pretty women, humor, sincere human interest content, music, education, etc. So I would think about what translates well across this medium and how that matches up with the kind of content that comes naturally to you.

Here is an aviation related video I've enjoyed that never even shows a real plane.

Back