the Turbo 182 is back in production

JustinD

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JustinD
Cessna announced today that the T182T Turbo Skylane is back in production. When I got my bird back in 2012 we didn't go Turbo because the performance wasn't needed for my mission and living in Florida. However for anyone who wants something new and wants the performance or lives out west, it's certainly nice to see this back in the new piston lineup.

https://media.txtav.com/209740-cess...X-eTgTmSzdVtrYFzLTEP2fT-rW8w1rOcJzYRJ-fvyKIyA

There is always a customer base. new 182T production is on a wait list if you're a buyer, I'd imagine the T182T will be the same. New Cirruses are pumping out at a fairly good pace and even those allocations are sold out for a long long time. While that base may not be everyone, there is absolutely a customer base for it. I'd imagine it's the same person that would buy a new SR22T but needs more short field or off-field performance.

Can I trade in my Piper Arrow II?
What would be my payments spread out over 1200 months?
Based on a 6% interest rate and this guess:
My guess is $700,000.
$3,508.83

You could shorten the loan to 600 months and the payment only goes up to $3,684.83.

I would absolutely love a new 182T but based on these $ no way in hell.... unless my long-lost Uncle Jeff Bezos dies or something.

Nice to see Textron give some love to the GA market!

Turbo 182 was paused in 2013...the same time Cessna acquired Columbia. Had to kill the Columbia/350/400/Corvallis/ TTX in order to bring the 182T back.

Most of those are going to be sold to government customers.

Turbo 182 was paused in 2013...the same time Cessna acquired Columbia. Had to kill the Columbia/350/400/Corvallis/ TTX in order to bring the 182T back.

I was going to ask why they killed it in the first place, but this makes sense (well, in the way that nothing makes sense in the new-airplane world, it makes sense).

I would like to see the POH. They only give you the marketing numbers. Why would they not publish the POH?

I use my T182T typically for single day roundtrips from Midland to Houston & similar E Texas. It has better endurance than I do; flightplan for 12 gph. Others are certainly faster, but depending on the winds, I prefer traveling in the high teens where it never seems crowded. Thankful for the Turbo out here in the high desert.

I would like to see the POH. They only give you the marketing numbers. Why would they not publish the POH?

Since this is basically a restart of production I doubt there would be much change from the T182T poh from when they stopped production in 2013/2014 time frame. I'm sure that POH could be found online fairly easily.

I can't quite picture their customer base.

I'm in the customer base. Frequently require high density altitude take-off near max weight. Also flying over western mountains it's good to get 5,000 AGL over the peaks to avoid ground wave turbulence. I see about 165 TAS above 16,000 MSL.

I'm in the customer base. Frequently require high density altitude take-off near max weight. Also flying over western mountains it's good to get 5,000 AGL over the peaks to avoid ground wave turbulence. I see about 165 TAS above 16,000 MSL.
Don't mean to pry, but you actually got the scratch to buy a new Cessna? That's pretty rarified territory.

Surely they’ll restart the 210 line next, right?

I'll say I'm impressed with the price, although far out of reach for me or the average Joe. Most other new singles of this capability are pushing higher than that.

That being said, I'm less than impressed that it appears to be the same T182T from 10 years ago, with a refreshed panel. It would have been neat to see Cessna work on improving weight, aerodynamics, or something. Same basic 182 airframe from decades ago.

I'm less than impressed that it appears to be the same T182T from 10 years ago, with a refreshed panel.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it's the same as the current 182T except with a turbo?

If you are seeing 165 KTAS in a T182 you are operating at >80% power setting.

Last edited:
In 20-30 years, dropzones around the world will be reducing time to 10,000 feet by a couple minutes thanks to the dozen or two of these that get sold.

What's the point of the T182T having a heated prop if the rest of the plane doesn't have any ice protection?

^but per their press release it's new and innovative!

Pros:
-nice to see more options for new piston singles and I'm happy Textron is giving some love to piston GA. For a while I was convinced they built pistons strictly for the flight schools (I mean, go where the $$ is I guess)

-there really are no new piston utility offerings out there. If you're looking at new you're looking at Cirrus or Diamond. Unless you are a Baron or Bonanza die hard those planes don't do anything demonstrably better or cheaper than Cirrus/Diamond.. and all those new planes are in the $1M range. Yeah yeah Piper but there again, either PA-28 trainer or $1M meridian/malibu

-for all the hate I give high wings the 182 is a robust platform, being able to buy it new, with a turbo, is a shoe in. There's a market out there. 50 year old examples of the plane are expensive enough, spending a little more for something new with a factory installed turbo and O2 system definitely has appeal to it. We flew a 182RG to OSH last year, our first fuel stop was AEG, Double Eagle NM.. at almost 6K elevation the DA was high that July day, around 8,500. At near max gross (3 adults, full fuel, etc.) the climb was very anemic. Having a turbo would have been nice that day

Cons:
-as pointed out above this doesn't really advance GA or give the 182 anything 'new' that it didn't have before. Maybe that's smart, stick to what works and what's proven.. car manufacturers keep model and platform updates slow and incremental. But it would have been nice to see some small tweaks to it. The G1000 isn't exactly cutting edge anymore

-the general $$ thing. Again, I would imagine all the tooling, R&D, etc., is paid for.. it's not just Textron, it's GA in general. A base price of $650K for a single engine piston is a hard one to swallow.. but that's the world we live in

What's the point of the T182T having a heated prop if the rest of the plane doesn't have any ice protection?
I wondered the same.. but at least if you hit ice your prop won't stall and you can hopefully find your way out of it before the wing gives up. When I read the heated prop bit I got excited for a moment thinking it may have a weeping wing

Gives you a slightly better ability to climb out of the ice if you were to find yourself in it. Combined with the turbo and higher ceiling, not an altogether bad option.

Don't mean to pry, but you actually got the scratch to buy a new Cessna? That's pretty rarified territory.
Don’t mean to pry, but how much do you have in checking, savings, 401K, IRA’s, ETF’s, mutual funds, crypto… :)

Nothing wrong with anyones chosen profession but they don’t all pay the same. Not everyone decided to become a teacher.

Last edited:
The G1000 isn't exactly cutting edge anymore
But it's not just a G1000, it's a G1000NXi. The soft key labels now have lower case letters! ;)

At least they finally dumped the vacuum standby instruments for the GI275. That's a step in the right direction.

Actually, it was the failure of the 182 diesel that precipitated the return.

Don’t mean to pry, but how much do you have in checking, savings, 401K, IRA’s, EFT’s, mutual funds, crypto… :)

Nothing wrong with anyones chosen profession but they don’t all pay the same. Not everyone decided to become a teacher.
And not everyone with the means sees $650K in value in one of those. I don't. Half that ... well, maybe.

You can borrow from those and pay yourself back, right? I can imagine the look on a financial advisor's face now "Yeah I took out half of my 401K, but don't worry, I'll pay it back and you should see this sweet new plane Cessna is offering!" - poor guy would have a heart attack lol

good point on that though, I never really add that to my "how much money do I have" bucket.. but nice to know it's there =D

Restart costs are lower if they don't monkey with the TCDS. If the good idea fairy shows up with airframe "improvements", that triggers a bag of engineering and FAA paperwork costs, and potentially flight testing.

It is ALWAYS a good sign when a time-proven design starts getting built again to replenish the fleet.

It is also a great thing as an owner to have your aircraft variant still in production. I have a 78 Decathlon. The new ones coming out of the ACA factory today are identical in many ways. I love being able to call the factory and get advice and parts from the TC holder.

And not everyone with the means sees $650K in value in one of those. I don't. Half that ... well, maybe.
Not sure what the relevance of you quoting my post is? I replied to a guy that was prying into someone’s personal finances online. (While humorously saying “Don’t mean to pry”).

If you don’t see value in something then don’t buy it. Are you suggesting that because you don’t see the value then no one should? Do you go on Bugatti message boards and tell them that? I’m confused

I wondered the same.. but at least if you hit ice your prop won't stall and you can hopefully find your way out of it before the wing gives up. When I read the heated prop bit I got excited for a moment thinking it may have a weeping wing

let’s also not forget the G36 bonanza since it’s inception has had a deice prop but no Fiki. The T182T isn’t the only plane to pull this off. 182T’s never had a hot prop but the T182T’s always had one.

Back