Jack Russel Terrier, Anybody have/had one?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I am looking to add to the household. Already have a Basenji mix, looking for a similar small-medium sized playmate for the Basenji. Plus, the Basenji is more my wife's pet. I am looking for a best buddy for me.

Also, thinking of a beagle.

All dogs have their issues, so you need to figure out what's important. A Beagle is going to want to roam. A JRT is likely to be hyper.

I had a Border Collie, who was very active, amazingly obedient, and not hyper. Perfect dog for me, but not for everyone.

We had a JRT, Sherman. Although frequently he was referred to as Shermonster. His favorite thing was sniffing out cash money and eating it. We learned pretty quick not to leave bills in a pants pocket and then throw them on a chair or the bed, or to leave an opened purse anywhere he could get to it. Went almost 18 years without a dog after he departed, sadly. Shortly after house arrest started, we adopted another JRT, Baxter. He's integrated well in to the family, but he's still a JRT.

They have boundless energy. They're incredibly smart, and easily trained if you know how. If you don't constantly maintain your position as head of the pack, the JRT will take over in a heartbeat. As in, the second you slip and let him think he's calling the shots you have a problem. Did I mention they have boundless energy? Plan on a couple of long walks each day or they get restless and find ways to let you know they need an outlet for that energy. Fenced yard is a really good idea. They're generally gregarious and enjoy meeting new people (sometimes they enjoy this a little too much) and other dogs. They typically will form a primary bond with one member of the family, which is interesting, but that doesn't mean they ignore or avoid everyone else. Quite the opposite, but that person they bond to will never get a moments peace. Sorry, hon, he picked you!

Beyond all of that, they're still a terrier and do what terriers have been bred to do. Baxter has killed more backyard rabbits and squirrels in the last two years than I care to recount. It upsets my wife, especially when he comes to the door all proud of his trophy, his mouth and fur bloody; but that's what they were bred to do. On the other hand, when the neighborhood deer herd comes around every night to eat the landscaping, he somehow knows (even if he's asleep) and loves going out there to terrorize them until they leave. The hostas actually got big and bushy this year! We know as soon as the Amazon van parks at the curb, someone pulls in the drive, or the postman is next door; great little warning system.

Jacks are fantastic companions, but you need to understand what you're getting in to. It's not a fluffy little poofball of a dog that will sit idly all day just waiting for a chance to go to bed and snuggle up. Active is a tremendous understatement, but hyperactive carries some negative connotations that I don't think really apply. We've had mutts, schnauzers, a minpin, cats, and now two JRTs. Wouldn't pick any other breed, but we know how they operate and enjoy what they bring to the table (unless it's a mangled rabbit or squirrel).

Once knew a restaurant owner that had two Jack Russel Terriers that were used to kill the rats in his restaurant as they were great hunters and quite aggressive. Nope ... I never ate in that place!

Not Jack Russell but we had two Border Terriers. Similar to JR but a bit less psycho. We got ours as adults about 3 years old and both lived to 17. They were fantastic pets.

Here’s a video of adult and puppy Border Terriers playing.

Never had a Jack Russell Terrorist, but I’ve had neighbors with same…..hyper/noisy little runts. Seem quite bright. Neighbors tried to keep them fenced in……LOL, yeah right! As we used to say with our goats: if your fences will hold water they may hold a goat - same for JRTs I’m afraid.
Vowed never for me……I’m more the Lab Retriever kind of guy.

One of the first ones I saw, 30 years ago, was during a visit with to a friend's house.
The dog was an absolute blur the entire time. I am certain his paws never once touched the floor. He screamed around the living room and kitchen at 100mph, off the furniture, the walls and ceiling but never the floor, I am pretty sure. If I didn't know better I would have thought he was on meth.
Anyway, since then, I have seen many JRTs that are much, much more calm and pleasant.

I think the breed was really popular back then and like most breed fads, breeders were cranking them out, often without regard to behavior (or health). There is significant $$ motivation with such breeders. (Some breeders are doing a good job, mind you)

PS with more reflection on this, the ones I know that are pleasant are actually not full JRTs, they are mostly JRTs ie a mix. A mutt. Thinking about this further, perhaps you would consider looking at shelters in the area that have a JRT mix. Usually they enjoy a more mellow personality.....and possibly the better health that may come with hybrid vigor.

We've had a couple. They were originally bred to go down the burrow into a fox den and kill it after the hounds ran it to ground. The huntsman would reach in and grab it by the tail to pull it out with the fox in it's jaws. And once pulled out, it would fight the pack of hounds to keep them away from it's kill. That should give you a good idea of what they are all about.

There are smooth and rough coat, short and long-legged varieties. The recently became an AKC breed and were dubbed Parson Russell Terriers. No way should the word Parson be associated with these little hellions.

They think they are 10ft tall and bulletproof. Ours would think nothing of going after a pit or a shepherd if they came into it's territory. Quite frankly, the thing was a little bastidge, but he was our little bastidge. No way I would own one off a farm, and God help you if you live in an apartment.

Decades ago we had one. Terrorist is right. We're taking about an animal bread to go down into a den and drag out whatever lived there so you can shoot it.
Absolutely fearless dog, except for the vacuum cleaner. When you were done vacuuming you could find his butt sticking out from between two couch cushions.
That dog would run right up a tree as if no one told him dogs can't do that.
I didn't like the dog at first because I don't like small dogs. No one told him he was small either so he definitely acted like a 80 lb killer.
I would NOT own a JRT if you aren't home on a constant basis (ie, you have a job).
Boundless energy is also a correct statement. Any normal dog will get tired after enough rough house playing. JRTs have no quit in them even long after any other dog would be spent. They just keep coming back for more.

We finally got a dog almost a year ago
I had three must have bullet points
- small, because it will be an indoor family dog (small generally means doesn't drool and all sorts of other things)
- doesn't shed
- doesn't bark a lot
A JR didn't make the cut of consideration

Our little guy isn't perfect...but many times my wife has thanked me for sticking to those hard rules.

Jack russels are just too hyper for me. That being said, I guess some people like them.
They’re also not very “cuddly”.

I am looking to add to the household. Already have a Basenji mix, looking for a similar small-medium sized playmate for the Basenji. Plus, the Basenji is more my wife's pet. I am looking for a best buddy for me.

Also, thinking of a beagle.

JRTs are hyper active and don't tend to get along well with other pets (I think they annoy them). These were bred as fox hunters which means a very high energy level and very high exercise requirements, about twice the Basenji.

Beagles tend to be very friendly toward everyone, so not a great watchdog. But that means a better buddy for you and for your existing pet. Energy and exercise requirements are about the same as the Basenji.

My take, go with the beagle.

I had a JRT Beagle mix. Did anyone say they have a lot of energy? They laugh at the energy bunny.

The mix got us a dog that would run hard after a scent. Our fence didn't slow him down a bit. We spent a lot of time in the woods tracking him.

Fun dog, but don't plan on resting ever again.

They’re also not very “cuddly”.

This is both true and untrue at the same time. Ours have always enjoyed tummy rubs and will curl up next to us while being petted. But, they will let you know when they've had enough. Usually by snapping at your fingers. My wife swears the old saw, "let sleeping dogs lie," was invented because of JRTs. This behavior has to be addressed immediately, otherwise the "schnippen schnappen," as I call it, will get out of hand (no pun intended). Our experience with them, and that of friends who have or have had them, is that you are pretty much constantly in a position where you need to make sure the dog knows his place in the pack. This doesn't mean corporal punishment, because that's generally inhumane and counterproductive, and besides they're smart enough to understand tone of voice, facial expressions and body language. But, you really do need to not let them think they're in charge.

We had a JRT, Sherman. Although frequently he was referred to as Shermonster. His favorite thing was sniffing out cash money and eating it. We learned pretty quick not to leave bills in a pants pocket and then throw them on a chair or the bed, or to leave an opened purse anywhere he could get to it. Went almost 18 years without a dog after he departed, sadly. Shortly after house arrest started, we adopted another JRT, Baxter. He's integrated well in to the family, but he's still a JRT.

They have boundless energy. They're incredibly smart, and easily trained if you know how. If you don't constantly maintain your position as head of the pack, the JRT will take over in a heartbeat. As in, the second you slip and let him think he's calling the shots you have a problem. Did I mention they have boundless energy? Plan on a couple of long walks each day or they get restless and find ways to let you know they need an outlet for that energy. Fenced yard is a really good idea. They're generally gregarious and enjoy meeting new people (sometimes they enjoy this a little too much) and other dogs. They typically will form a primary bond with one member of the family, which is interesting, but that doesn't mean they ignore or avoid everyone else. Quite the opposite, but that person they bond to will never get a moments peace. Sorry, hon, he picked you!

Beyond all of that, they're still a terrier and do what terriers have been bred to do. Baxter has killed more backyard rabbits and squirrels in the last two years than I care to recount. It upsets my wife, especially when he comes to the door all proud of his trophy, his mouth and fur bloody; but that's what they were bred to do. On the other hand, when the neighborhood deer herd comes around every night to eat the landscaping, he somehow knows (even if he's asleep) and loves going out there to terrorize them until they leave. The hostas actually got big and bushy this year! We know as soon as the Amazon van parks at the curb, someone pulls in the drive, or the postman is next door; great little warning system.

Jacks are fantastic companions, but you need to understand what you're getting in to. It's not a fluffy little poofball of a dog that will sit idly all day just waiting for a chance to go to bed and snuggle up. Active is a tremendous understatement, but hyperactive carries some negative connotations that I don't think really apply. We've had mutts, schnauzers, a minpin, cats, and now two JRTs. Wouldn't pick any other breed, but we know how they operate and enjoy what they bring to the table (unless it's a mangled rabbit or squirrel).
Spot on! We’re on our second JRT. If you don’t train them, they will train you. Our first, also named Baxter, would steal pens out of my wife’s purse and then redeem them for treats, refusing to drop the pen until she produced a treat. He tried this with me once while I was working on a project, and stole my hammer with the same intent.

Our current JRT, Bolt, has plenty of energy, but especially after his meals when he runs around the house for about 10 minutes like we just fed him crack cocaine.

They are wonderfully lovable, lots of personality and very cuddle-able. They take to training very well and like jobs. There’s a reason they’re so popular on commercials.

Miniature Schnauzer . Good companion dog . Has been a great hunting companion and ground squirrel retrivier .
Down side is the need for hair cuts.

We finally got a dog almost a year ago
I had three must have bullet points
- small, because it will be an indoor family dog (small generally means doesn't drool and all sorts of other things)
There are big dogs that do well, even in apartments. Greyhounds are larger but are really mellow, 60mph couch potatoes. Take then on a walk or to the dog park and they're ready to nap the rest of the day. But they will be on the couch or bed, they don't like sleeping on the floor, not enough natural padding.

After reading all these comments, I have to revise my statement to say the Border Terrier is a LOT less psycho. Ours were positively laid back by comparison. Energetic if you wanted to play or go outside but just as content to nap while you watch TV. There were no problems with us being alpha, but they are self possessed. So you can’t train them quite like you would a dog bred to work with you. They’d rather go off and look for squirrels than fetch a ball for you. But they will obey your rules about the house. We didn't let them on the leather sofa because of scratchy nails, they learned the rule very fast and never got on it. But outside they need to be fenced in or on a leash, they will NOT come when you call if they spot a critter.

They were bred to hunt vermin in barns and so are independent minded, but in a calm way, unlike these JR stories. They are like the JR in that they are terriers and in size and that they go to ground and will take off after small furry things, but aren’t snappy and hyper like y’all are describing. They were very chill. Only barked if someone came to the door. Friendly but not effusively jumping all over your guests. They were very loyal, bonded really tight to us even though we didn't get them until they were adults.

The only issue we had was one of them was very protective of me when it came to other dogs. People were fine, but she would not tolerate strange dogs, she'd bark and make a scene but wouldn't actually attack them. When we needed her to make friends though, she did. We had to babysit my sister's dog for a week and she was hostile to him, so we just went somewhere and left them alone in the house together for a few hours. When we came back they were cuddled up together on the couch (not the leather one) and were best of friends from then on. The other dog, big enough to reach the counter, had pulled a loaf of bread off and the two of them had eaten all the bread. I guess she decided she liked him when he obtained food for her.

They were pure from a well reputed breeder, that might be important for temperament. Some people can handle rescues and mutts but I can't, I wanted guaranteed good behavior, so paid for the first. The breeder gave us the second when she needed to rehome her. They were half sisters and had grown up together so already knew each other. The husband and kids were all begging me to get a dog but I knew that despite all the "we will do all the work we swear!" promises that I would be the one ending up doing all the dog related work so I made my list of criteria then went searching for the breed that fit and this is what I came up with.

Dogs.jpg

My father in law has a JRT. Thing barks ALL the time. Drives me nuts.

We got a stray pup who is now two years old. She’s a JRT mixed with a Dachshund and possibly Chihuahua. Very cuddly at night, very smart (understands tone of voice), and gregarious and energetic. She’s like a bird dog with her nose.

JRTs are cool dogs to get a part of. We think ours is 1/3 to 1/2 and that’s plenty. Almost always wants to play. This one is going to leave an even bigger hole in our hearts when she departs us.

@Morgan3820 have you thought about adopting? The shelters are getting full with post-lockdown doggies. Maybe you could foster a few and find the right match. Or do some PnP runs (or be an overnight layover spot for a pup) and see if something sticks with you.

I would suggest a Corgi. Smallish and not a terrier.

Terrier: any of various usually small energetic dogs originally used by hunters to dig for small game and engage the quarry underground or drive it out.
-Merriam-Webster

@Morgan3820 have you thought about adopting? The shelters are getting full with post-lockdown doggies. Maybe you could foster a few and find the right match. Or do some PnP runs (or be an overnight layover spot for a pup) and see if something sticks with you.
Of course. Sorry, I was talking about a rescue. Both dogs I have had have been rescues.

Although pet lobsters appear to be coming a new trend.

Training might be an issue

We have Westy/Cairan Terror mix. No interest at all in retrieving. He was incorrigible until my wife learned how to train him. At 14, he still has a bounce in his step, and sleeps more than he used to. He has big ears size think he might be part jack rabbit . He was bonded to my wife until she became terminally ill and went on hospice. Now, he's bonded with me, especially since I feed and walk him. He has a bed in the office and sleeps there while I'm working. He's starting to sleep in his tent in the living room at night to eat h over my wife. After all, dog is just God spelled backwards. . I hope he survives my wife, because I don't think she'd last long without him. Same with my mother in law.

Our neighbor had one. That dog had a ton of energy as described here, but the neighbor was retired and the dog was with him 100% of the time. That dog knew more tricks and commands than any I've ever seen, extremely smart. The most insane trick that the dog enjoyed was a weighted chew toy thrown into the deep end of their 9 foot pool, that dog would dive and get that toy off the bottom dozens of times. I had never seen anything like it ...

We have a JRT/Rat Terrier mix. That dog has to be with a human 100% of the time. Also can burrow under the covers with tremendous force, especially at odd hours.

Our neighbor had one. That dog had a ton of energy as described here, but the neighbor was retired and the dog was with him 100% of the time. That dog knew more tricks and commands than any I've ever seen, extremely smart. The most insane trick that the dog enjoyed was a weighted chew toy thrown into the deep end of their 9 foot pool, that dog would dive and get that toy off the bottom dozens of times. I had never seen anything like it ...
I had no idea what swimmers they were until one day our Jack jumped into the water to "chase" after some ducks and we finally had to send the boat out to chase after him. I think he would have swam across the Chesapeake bay if we let him.

My first experience with a JRT was with an old neighbor. The dog burned a race track around the perimeter of his back yard running countless laps. Anything in my yard that was w/in 6 inches of the fence was summarily dragged into their yard and destroyed. Nice enough dog but the the comments about boundless energy seem about right. Years later my sister had one. She absolutely loved that dog. I think he was sweet to her but he bit quite a few people. I can also confirm the fearlessness comments. This dog would take on anything that moved. Losing an eye during a bout with a water moccasin didn't slow him down and might have made him a tad more aggressive. All dog owners/parents love their dogs and I certainly love my mini-golden doodle (pictured in my avatar flying w/ me). My kids call him "omega dog" he's so laid back and non-aggressive. As others have said, JRT's are great fits for some people -- I, personally, have seen enough to avoid the breed.

My wife came with two of them that she had as a kid and we had one more since. Her mother was a horse breeder and breed JRTs for extra income. They were very popular with the Morgan horse crowd 20-30 years ago. They are two speed dogs…full speed and no speed. They are great dogs if trained but are independent and can’t be fully trained. Very smart and fearless. Our boy was no match for the underground fence. He knew that there was a big world outside the fence and would get a full speed run and take the shock to get through. Our girl, at the young age of 22, went on an adventure and we located her two day later at the pound after a distant neighbor dropped her off there because she insisted on moving in and sleeping in their bed with them. Our’s lived a long time. 15 years, 20 years and 24 years. They make great buddies. My uncle who was a farmer had one that would not leave his side. It probably log 5000 plus hours riding in tractors and miscellaneous other farm equipment. We now have a golden but are considering getting another Jack so our “beta male” golden has a brave friend. They are a handful and not for the faint of heart, but we love them.

All I know is if I had a rat problem, I’d get one

If you ever get the chance to see Jack Russell races, it's hysterical. They set a straight course of jumps, and have a bike wheel with a 500ft or so cord. A fox tail is tied to the cord, and when the gates go up on the starting cages, off goes the fox tail as the bike takes the cord up around the rim with JRT's hot pursuit. At the end, the tail passes through a couple hay bales spaced just far enough apart for a single dog to pass.

Those little suckers can fly.

You see it at hunt club sponsored horse shows.

Back