Beacon and navigation lights. Upgrade. Cessna-150.

Gino Shtirlits

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shtirlits
What would the best solution to upgrade beacon and navigation lights on Cessna-150F?

Attachments

• hvost.jpg
    hvost.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 50
You say "solution", is there a problem that needs solving? Are you constantly having to replace bulbs to the point that you feel it would be worth it to spend a few Franklins on LED's? Might be more cost effective and useful to add strobes or maybe an LED landing light that you could run in daylight for increased visibility.

Would wingtip strobe/ nav work on a 150?

I wonder if replacing the tail beacon with LED wingtip strobes would provide a detectable gain in speed or useable load.

With a pair of wingtip strobes, a plane doesn’t need a beacon atop the tail.

Whelen wingtip LED nav/strobe combo installed on each wingtip should take care of both nav and anti-collision lighting.

However, as suggested above, a better improvement for anti-collision and nighttime flying might be a better landing light.

The direct replacement LEDs for the incandescent navigation lights is a significant upgrade in lumens, plus you will in all likelihood never have to replace them. An LED landing light is also a no-brainer. They are effectively brighter than the incandescent lights, and again have a lifetime that may exceed your ownership of the aircraft. With their extended lifetimes, you can afford to use them on takeoffs and approaches to improve visibility of your plane to other traffic, without significantly sacrificing longevity.

Whelen is a great choice brand wise. You will have significantly brighter lights that never need to be replaced. Plus the overall current draw will be dramatically lower too.

But what is about old tail beacon? keep it the same?
it is too large. I would upgrade it to smaller size

But what is about old tail beacon? keep it the same?
it is too large. I would upgrade it to smaller size
Is there a separate power supply or flasher unit? Switching the beacon to LED and dumping that box might save a pound or two. Every pound counts in a C150, right?

Do you have a make/model/part# on the old tail beacon?

Is there a separate power supply or flasher unit? Switching the beacon to LED and dumping that box might save a pound or two. Every pound counts in a C150, right?

Do you have a make/model/part# on the old tail beacon?

Yes, sure. Every pound counts in C150. I don't have part # for my beacon. Old tail beacon is looking unreasonably large and available to see at the pic in my first post. Definitely this one needs to be replaced to some modern one.

Back