Airport Advisories

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
If you call Unicom for an airport advisory, what information do you expect to receive or what information would you like to get? Asking for a friend… :)

I would say wind and runway in use, but I haven't asked for one in 20 years. The increased availability of AWOS and other weather information sources, and the fact that the person answering UNICOM (if anyone answers at all) often doesn't know what they're talking about, has made the concept a relic of the past.

If you call Unicom for an airport advisory, what information do you expect to receive or what information would you like to get? Asking for a friend… :)
Wind and altimeter. Answer any question I have if they know the answer. And anything important I should know even if I didn't ask.

My use of it if I use it at all is related just to ground ups. Like where do I park?

The desk at my home base is usually staffed. No AWOS, but they have a weather station. Asking for an airport advisory will get you a wind check/runway in use.

What is Unicom? :) I've never used it, no CFI I had ever taught to use it, when asked they all said it was an old duplicate of CTAF, and I honestly thought it had gone the way of HIWAS, etc.

If the field is towered, there is Tower, Ground, and AWOS/ATIS. If no tower, there is CTAF and AWOS/ATIS. If the untowered field doesn't have AWOS/ATIS, you listen to the closest AWOS/ATIS there is - and look at the wind sock.

Wind, runway in use, altimeter if available. and yes, I was trained by an old crusty CFI and call the airport unicom 10mi out asking for an airport advisory. Back during training, it was 50/50 if you'd get a response, these days it's almost never.

Depends on airport. My base you're not getting a response.

What is Unicom? :) I've never used it, no CFI I had ever taught to use it, when asked they all said it was an old duplicate of CTAF, and I honestly thought it had gone the way of HIWAS, etc..
I actually miss HIWAS, it was pretty useful for longer x country’s. Only time I use Unicom is to give the FBO a heads up that I need fuel or something. Never asked for a airport advisory.

“Weather available on 118.425 or Miami Radio 122.2” and then a question about the how many decades ago is your solo endorsement or flight review.

Last edited:
Back