Thinking about a Reliefband

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Anybody use one of these things? Do they actually work well enough to justify the price? I keep getting their (rather attention grabbing) ads on FB. And now you probably will too. You're welcome.

My wife gets mild-moderate nausea when we go on long trips. Not bad enough to stop her from going, but just some discomfort, and being the loving husband I am I want to keep her comfortable.

I'm thinking of getting her one and if it works for her, my second oldest kid. She gets airsick most consistently of anyone and is the only one to actually use a sic-sak.

My wife has one. She has severe motion sickness. It had helped her in the car and in big planes. We haven't tried it in the Lance yet.

I will tell you that the pressure only ones didn't work for her. Had to get the Reliefband because it had the electrical pulses. Unfortunately she can't use the motion sickness patch either because it is incompatible with another medicine she takes.

I was editing one of my flying videos the other day. It was bumpy on an approach and my wife said she got nauseous just watching it. I told her let's test it again with the Reliefband on. :D

I have given one to the SO for years. I don't know if it works, or whether it is merely a placebo. But the overall symptoms seem to be diminished.

My wife recommends a thermos of Pinot Grigio. :)

While I don’t have that issue, I’ve always been curious if they really work or are snake oil?
Not sure how that would work with the kids.

A friend of mine got nauseous during his first few lessons. He swore by those bands.

Candied ginger works too. So do the drugs, Bovine, Gravol, and Dramamine, but they do have side-effects.

Have two of the electric ones. Placebo or not, it completely stopped us from having to mop up the kids airsickness messes for years.

The variable zapper settings also seemed to give them some sense of control, and kept them busy adjusting the strength as they felt better or worse.

A win for us.

Have two of the electric ones. Placebo or not, it completely stopped us from having to mop up the kids airsickness messes for years.

The variable zapper settings also seemed to give them some sense of control, and kept them busy adjusting the strength as they felt better or worse.

A win for us.
How old were your kids when you started them on it?

I've been using one for two decades. Mrs. Steingar always gets green around the gills unless she wears one. We even had the negative control experiment, the thing's battery ran out one flight, she got ill. Put a new battery in, she's fine. Honest to gosh magic, I couldn't tell you how it works.

How old were your kids when you started them on it?

1st and 4th grade.

After infamously visiting an all-you-can eat Sunday Brunch in Austin and flying back to El Paso on a hot day with mucho turbulence.

Found out the hard way they spent way too much time at the waffle and bacon bar while the adults were talking ...

I’m a believer in the ReleifBand (the type that makes the electric pulses on your wrist). And here’s why: I did a ~4 hour dual sailplane flight (trying to set a state record) with my instructor and I trading time at the controls, and definitely saved the day on that flight.
You think flying a small plane is bad, try flying a glider where you are spending all your time thermalling in tight turns at a 30-40 degree bank.
Now, I’m a glider pilot, but even this flight was testing my limits, after the 2nd hour (plus the summer heat) I was getting motion sick. I Ate some ginger candy, didn’t help. I Put on the Relief Band (first time I’ve really “needed” it) and it was enough to take the edge off.. eventually the feeling subsided. It saved my day.

Yes - for me, it worked great when I first started on the PPL until I got desensitized enough to where I didn't need it. Somehow it signals through the Median Nerve in the wrist/arm to the part of the brain that controls the Vagus nerve that controls the stomach and motion sickness.

You can spend $250, but the $125 blue version works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliefband-1-5-Motion-Morning-Sickness/

71e+KvUT64L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Last edited:
Also try MotionEase. A couple of drops behind the ears works for my passengers.

I’m a believer in the ReleifBand (the type that makes the electric pulses on your wrist). And here’s why: I did a ~4 hour dual sailplane flight (trying to set a state record) with my instructor and I trading time at the controls, and definitely saved the day on that flight.
You think flying a small plane is bad, try flying a glider where you are spending all your time thermalling in tight turns at a 30-40 degree bank.
Now, I’m a glider pilot, but even this flight was testing my limits, after the 2nd hour (plus the summer heat) I was getting motion sick. I Ate some ginger candy, didn’t help. I Put on the Relief Band (first time I’ve really “needed” it) and it was enough to take the edge off.. eventually the feeling subsided. It saved my day.
The only time I can remember being airsick was in the back seat of a Blanik. At that time, I was a fairly experienced sailplane pilot, with never a hint of a problem.

But this time was different. The pilot was fine, and the weather was not very turbulent. Just a few choppy thermals. In a few minutes, I was looking around the back seat for something to throw up in. I was just on the edge of losing it when I asked if I could fly. Within a few seconds of grabbing the stick, I was back to normal. Now, if I have a passenger getting queasy, I just tell the passenger to pick a spot on the horizon, grab the yoke and aim for it. Works very well almost all of the time.

The only time I can remember being airsick was in the back seat of a Blanik. At that time, I was a fairly experienced sailplane pilot, with never a hint of a problem.

But this time was different. The pilot was fine, and the weather was not very turbulent. Just a few choppy thermals. In a few minutes, I was looking around the back seat for something to throw up in. I was just on the edge of losing it when I asked if I could fly. Within a few seconds of grabbing the stick, I was back to normal. Now, if I have a passenger getting queasy, I just tell the passenger to pick a spot on the horizon, grab the yoke and aim for it. Works very well almost all of the time.
Great idea, thanks.

Back