Headed to Nashville

Twin_Flyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Twin_Flyer
Headed to Nashville... Any thing I should see or do... PIRPS for John Tune and Uber...

Bring singles…..

cause after every 3rd or 4th song, the musicians will walk around collecting tips.

Bring singles…..

cause after every 3rd or 4th song, the musicians will walk around collecting tips.

Wear your big brim hat, large belt buckle, and cowboy boots! :D

I haven't been there in many, many, years but Tootsie's Orchid Lounge used to be a place to visit if you could get in the door.

Understand that Nashville is not just the home of Country. It's the music capital of the south and you can get anything you want there from rock to blues to whatever. I love cruising down printers row and broadway.

I usually tip the band more than "singles."

The Country Music Hall of Fame is worth the trip even if you're not a country fan. So's the Ryman auditorium. They moved Hatch Show Print into the lobby of the Hall of Fame (no admission needed) which is kind of cool. There's also Gibson if you're a guitar guy.

If you want to see a real Grand Ole Opry performance, you have to go out to the Gaylord (which is where it is located for most broadcasts).

As for airports, I've been into Tune. The FBO there wasn't the friendliest to the small piston crowd. Of course, that was before they were smitten by a tornado.

I have friends in Mt. Juliet so more often than not I go into Lebanon.

We love Nashville, and its probably our favorite flying destination. Last year, the day before we were to head down, Tune was hit by a tornado, so we tried Smyrna, and they were fantastic! A slight bit farther from downtown, but not too bad (30 minute Uber). I great nearby flying destination is the Tullahoma Beech museum:

upload_2021-8-24_6-45-43.png

upload_2021-8-24_6-46-17.png

upload_2021-8-24_6-46-48.png

- Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
- Fontanel Mansion
- Ryman Auditorium Tour
- Grand Ole Opry Show
- Honky Tonks on Lower Broadway

Last edited:
BNA is easy to get in and out of, don't let the Class C fool ya, but I'm sure it is a lot more expensive.

There's a new food venue downtown, across from the Bridgestone Arena on Broadway, called Fifth & Broadway. I haven't been down there yet but it looks interesting and is right in the middle of things in downtown.

Pfunky Griddle is a fun place for breakfast/brunch that I always recommend.

The Pharmacy Burger Parlor and Beer Garden is another unique spot.

Whatever you do, don't eat at any chains. There are lots of unique places around with better food and more interesting experiences.

I'll mention that unless you have business at the airport, there's no real good reason to choose BNA over JWN. JWN is a great GA airport with lots a of varied activity and easy transportation access. You're also more likely to have a celebrity sighting there than at BNA, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you are into it, there are lots of Civil War sites around the city of Nashville - Stones River (Murfreesboro) is very much worth a look, as is Franklin. Franklin does not have a Battlefield Park like Stones River, but there are several sites in and around the town (Carter House, for example) that are worth visiting.

We love Nashville, and its probably our favorite flying destination. Last year, the day before we were to head down, Tune was hit by a tornado, so we tried Smyrna, and they were fantastic! A slight bit farther from downtown, but not too bad (30 minute Uber). I great nearby flying destination is the Tullahoma Beech museum:

View attachment 99427

View attachment 99428

View attachment 99429
Oh, absolutely! I’ve been to that museum a few times and it’s wonderful! A lot of bang for the buck too!

An evening meal and ride on the General Jackson.

I'd offer my services as bonafide-weightshiftable-selfloading ballast :):D:) but you're a smidgen out of range (and in the wrong direction damn!). Visit Nashville (commercial into BNA) every 2 weeks.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy (the spicy chicken takes some getting use to but utterly addictive).

Bolton's, Princes for that. Clears your sinuses one time!

http://www.tajnashville.com/ located on one end of Plaza Mariachi

On the opposite end of Plaza Mariachi is a little ethnic restaurant from one of the seven Stans, Edessa restaurant. Cheap and cheerful. Great cheap good food.

Plaza Mariachi hosts a Latino shindig every now and then the place does come alive! Those ladies know how to move!

House of Kabob also does summink with their rice that's flavorful.

https://honestindianrestaurantnashville.com/ dirt ****ty decor, plastic cutlery, cups and everything else BUT and this is a BIG BUTT. The food is delicious! They also got this ****ty looking drink that's somewhere between sewage and **** with detritus floatsim but surprising refreshing. It's also the most expensive drink on the menu. It's called a Masala summink-or-the-other. They also got this Kimchi salad thing which turned me onto cabbage big time.

Then mi favorito mejor is the quacamole casera from Cilantro Grill, did not know it's even possible to make an avocado salad. Strangely they garnish it with jalapenos and it blends super well with the subtleties of the avocado.

Azadi International Food market and Bakery for freshest pita bread and other assorted Middle Eastern bread. Z'taar springs to mind. Their samoosas also worth buying.

The Patel Brothers have this deli counter inside with a myriad of samoosas. You won't lose weight here! But well worth it.

Still hoping to find a place that can whip together a half decent LIIT!

And on that note suggest a visit to the Jack Daniels distillery. Our tour guide was Jacob - the best tour guide there is.

ADMIN! - AND WHY NO UBER RANGE OF SMILEYS! WE (maybe just me) WANT MORE!

Last edited:
We had a great visit to Tune, but that was pre-tornado.

I'll be there again in 2 months, so mainly posting to follow current status. :) I'm intending to use Tune again.

I can add that the Hermitage was not as interesting as Jacksonian history is to me. Bit of a letdown.

...And on that note suggest a visit to the Jack Daniels distillery. Our tour guide was Jacob - the best tour guide there is....
And another reason to visit Smyrna: they let us use the Smyrna courtesy car to visit the Jack Daniels distillery.

Love Nashville, but in the last few years it's more L.A. than the plain ole folk it used to be
Traffic is horrific.
Hoping Tune gets squared away before the next trip in May. Some great people there.

My wife has been wanting to fly there for a while now as it within 3 hours. Sounds like Tune is a good GA spot to fly into. Following the thread to get updates as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone that responded so far. Some great suggestions. We've never been but looking forward to it. I'll post updates for those that may be considering a trip.

I used to fly to Nashville fairly frequently for business, and always used Tune. Things may have changed since it has been a few years, but back then the folks were great. I rented a car because I needed the flexibility.

If anyone requires ballast to Nashville, I also have access to the best high protein, low carb chewable finger snacks that can masquerade as superior pilot food. On the odd occasion I can also find the throttle and the toe brakes.

Just saying...

Love Nashville, but in the last few years it's more L.A. than the plain ole folk it used to be
Traffic is horrific.
Hoping Tune gets squared away before the next trip in May. Some great people there.

We were there last November. They were doing fine, other than no hangars. New fuel trucks and thr FBO office was fine.

Their new tower is supposed to be open Sept 1.

Wayne

We went in May and liked it so much we went back this month. Tune is easy in and out..Uber's very. In May it was $56, August $98. We are already looking forward to going back again.

+1 Country Music Hall of Fame
+1 Grand Ole Opry

Also:

RCA Studio B tour

And another reason to visit Smyrna: they let us use the Smyrna courtesy car to visit the Jack Daniels distillery.
I took that tour back in July. I was a bit disappointed because it was more about Jack Daniel’s life than about whiskey. I went on distillery tours in Scotland that took us through the whole process except for bottling

Back