Cost to install 5 point safety harness?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Does anyone have ballpark costs to install a 5 point safety harness? I've done some searching, but can't find anything very solid. Seems like there should be something on the interwebs, but most searches are returning 3 point belts.

For argument's sake, let's say it's a short body Mooney where you're sitting close to the panel and I don't much like the idea of tattooing my panel onto my face.

A 4 point harness is also acceptable, but I'm not a big fan of 3 point shoulder belts. For me, they always seem to land awkwardly across my shoulder and I'd much rather have a security belt across both shoulders.

Not that it affects the cost, but this is the document that prompted my thinking of a safety restraint upgrade after a future purchase.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/harness_kits/media/shoulderpolicy.pdf

Does anyone have ballpark costs to install a 5 point safety harness?
Costs are very subjective to the specific install as some are a minor alteration and some a major alteration depending on belt configuration and airframe modification. So its tough to ballpark.

I had a pair of BAS four-point harnesses installed in the front seats of my Cherokee 6XT (replaced the traditional belts/shoulder straps). About 10 hours @ $80/hr. Roughly 3 hours of that was removing the interior panels and liners to access the structure and then replacing them. The BAS harnesses use the existing seat belt mounting points, but require drilling new attachment holes in the roof. I think BAS told us at the time that they estimated 8-12 hours for a typical install. IMO four-point harnesses are totally worthwhile and highly recommended.

I'd go 5-point if you can. They're more effective at limiting vertical motion of your body in turbulence, and help keeping the lap belt portion low across your hips.

It makes for peace of mind that I won't crack the canopy with my noggin in bumpy air!!

4-point for most certificated planes is a great improvement.

For my RV I have 5-point and I do allow passengers to forgo the crotch strap if they prefer. (L typically chooses not to latch it in and it doesn't effect the overall safety)

Back