Initial CFI failure rates?

Clip4

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cli4ord
At one time variable with FSDO, the reported initial CFI failure rate was reported as high as 90%. After the airline boom 2012-2019, I rarely heard of anyone busting a CFI ride. What is experience across the country?

The 80-90% failure rate is a myth. Maybe it was 90% at a specific FSDO (doubt it) but overall, most people pass the CFI initial.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-s...pril/12/initial-cfi-checkride-myths-dispelled

In fact, according to the article, from 2013-2017 you had a higher success rate with inspectors than DPEs

The 90% value was correct at one time in Florida. It wasn’t a measure of the difficulty of the test, but a measure of the quality of the applicants of which many were foreign nationals coming out of puppy mills.

In fact, according to the article, from 2013-2017 you had a higher success rate with inspectors than DPEs
I was told that by an inspector almost 30 years ago, when I was giving him a hard time about his reputation as an inspector. :eek:

edit: he wasn’t psychic...he was talking about the then-current environment. :D

Isn't the overall PASS rate around 80%. This includes everyone.

According to our local FSDO, they are looking at re-education attempts with CFIs who have a 40% FAIL rate.

According to our local FSDO, they are looking at re-education attempts with CFIs who have a 40% FAIL rate.

I think the NTSB is pushing the FAA on this. I think there have been a rash of accidents involving new pilots with a history of check-ride busts, or their CFI has a history. The examiner is a check and balance, but the responsibility for ensuring new pilots are properly trained is on the CFI. Some people train for the checkride and can manage to pass, but are no where near competent to operate after the fact.

I like to quote the 90% failure statistic to puff myself up and make me sound more impressive than I am.

Well, that's not unwarranted. The checkride can't ever really be a comprehensive examination of every aspect of piloting. The first line is still the CFI's ability to instruct and evaluate and determine when to sign off the student.

I was one of the 90%. I failed my add on fixed wing CFI. Didn't even get out of the oral portion of the test. Evidently, if you are talking about airplane P factor and the effect of the propeller you should not drift into rotary wing planform dynamics. Oddly, I was also going to do my CFII add on for airplanes so we continued with that. Left with a CFII airplane but no CFI. Came back the next day with a new endorsement and completed the CFI...

Back