Antidepressants – Switching from Third Class to Basic Med

A

American Pilot

I currently hold a third class medical, without any SI’s, and am considering switching to Basic Med due to the simplicity and ease of use. I have a couple questions regarding the “freedoms” Basic Med authorizes with regards to being prescribed an anti-depressant:

1. When flying under Basic Med would a special issuance need to be received to take depression medication? My current understanding is that the answer to this question is “NO” since depression on its own does not meet the FAA’s list of mental health conditions requiring special issuance for Basic Med as defined in 14 CFR § 68.9: Personality Disorder / Psychosis / Bipolar / Substance Abuse. (Note that 14 CFR § 68.9 has significantly different special issuance requirements than 14 CFR § 67.401)
2. When flying under Basic Med could a pilot take a prescribed anti-depressant if the physician that signs off on the Basic Med physical deems it to not cause any impairment in the pilot’s ability to fly? I understand that the FAA provides a “Do Not Issue - Do Not Fly” pharmaceutical guide to AME’s when issuing medical certificates, however, the FAA states that Basic Med is “an additional qualification you can use to fly, in lieu of holding a medical certificate” (In fact, the Basic Med regulation 14 CFR Part 68 is titled “Operating Small Aircraft WITHOUT a Medical Certificate”). My understanding is that the Basic Med issuing physician should reference the “Do Not Issue - Do Not Fly” pharmaceutical guide but the ultimate approval rests with the pilot’s issuing physician who would certify the pilot as medically cleared to fly and NOT the FAA.

Obviously, if I have stated anything above that is incorrect, I would appreciate it if someone could link to where the correct information is documented in the regulations or judicial opinions. While personal opinions are great, for something this important I’m taking a trust but verify approach.

Referenced Links:
AC 68-1A Basic Med
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_68-1A.pdf
Pharmaceuticals (Therapeutic Medications) Do Not Issue - Do Not Fly
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/dni_dnf/
14 CFR Part 67 - MEDICAL STANDARDS AND CERTIFICATION
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-67
14 CFR Part 68 - REQUIREMENTS FOR OPERATING CERTAIN SMALL AIRCRAFT WITHOUT A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-68
Mastering the Basics of Basic Med (FAA Slide Show)
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...types/ame/media/BasicMed_AME_Presentation.pdf
FAA Basic Med FAQ (9 MAY 2017)
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf

I agree. The DNF/DNI is discretionary advice to the basic med doc. The basic med rule specifically places the discretion between the pilot and his doctor. The "Do Not Fly" list is only advisory in this situation. Furhter, even if you have an FAA medical, the DO not fly list isn't the same as the do not issue list and wouldn't even stop an AME from issuing.

There is a very scant list of things that bounce you out of basic med once you've been issued some class of medical.

There is a very scant list of things that bounce you out of basic med once you've been issued some class of medical.

Yep, and unlike a class 3 you can't really fail a Basic Med exam or get a denial. If one physician won't sign off, you have the option of seeing another doc. If there's not a physician on earth willing to sign your Basic Med, you can still go Sport Pilot. Even that scant list Ron mentions won't preclude you switching over to Sport, but if you get a class 3 denial Sport is off the table.

Basic Med is the gift that keeps on giving.

Appreciate the discussion on this guys. I wish the FAA's overall language on this would be more clear instead of forcing someone to go and digest each piece of regulation.

Appreciate the discussion on this guys. I wish the FAA's overall language on this would be more clear instead of forcing someone to go and digest each piece of regulation.
I agree, except that the language of the regulation was dictated by the statute passed by Congress.

If there's not a physician on earth willing to sign your Basic Med, you can still go Sport Pilot.

Well, not the whole earth. The physician has to have a license in a US state. That limits it to 900,000 or so.

Jon

Answers to your questions:
1) that issue is between the pilot and their doctor.
2) that issue is between the pilot and their doctor.

one of the key mental shifts to make is that BasicMed is not a FAA medical and the standards for FAA medicals, while decent advice, are not in force. You still self certify each time you fly.

The decision you need to make is not whether BasicMed will work for you but whether or not you want to pursue a Third Class medical. If you get deferred and have to start the SI process, BasicMed AND Sport Pilot is off the table until you are successful in obtaining the SI.

If you go through with a Third Class, make sure you thoroughly know and understand what's going to happen BEFORE you submit the form!

Last edited:
This all seems somewhat confusing.
I am a pilot and owner of a small GA aircraft and fly for fun.
As one considers starting a mild antidepressant such as those four listed by the FAA, I understand that once you begin taking them your 3rd class is no longer valid. Then I understand one has to go through a long and tiring SI process, that may very well not allow you to ever fly again, should your medical be denied.
I can see why a person would consider Basic med in hopes of avoiding an SI or a denied 3rd class medical.
The question remains:
Are those antidepressants listed, considered disqualifying for Basic Med too?
Yes or no?
If so, how does foregoing all medicals, self qualifying, going light sport and operating on a drivers license magically qualify anyone as a safe pilot?
How does just dealing with untreated mild depression and retaining a medical certificate to fly,
make life better and make one a safer pilot?

And no gentlemen, I’m not interested in taking up fishing.

It depends on what your doc has given you for a DETAILED diagnosis, and on severity.

So, One would take that information provided by his primary physician, and take it to a Basic Med physician. Then discuss it with him to determine eligibility for Basic Med and if it (medication) or diagnosis would affect ones ability to safely pilot an aircraft?
Correct?

So, One would take that information provided by his primary physician, and take it to a Basic Med physician. Then discuss it with him to determine eligibility for Basic Med and if it (medication) or diagnosis would affect ones ability to safely pilot an aircraft?
Correct?

There are no "Basic Med Physicians". Any state licensed doctor can sign the Basic Med form. Ideally it is signed by your primary care physician, but you could also get any doctor to sign if he/she is willing.

BONUS: You submit nothing medical related to the FAA. There is nothing for them to deny, reject, require SI, etc. You get the signed form from your doctor and just keep it with you / in in your log book. You just have to complete an FAA Basic Med quiz every 2 years. I don't even think the FAA knows whether or not you ever got the Basic Med Form signed by a doctor or not.

Last edited:
This all seems somewhat confusing.
xxxxxx Yes, I agree

The question remains:
Are those antidepressants listed, considered disqualifying for Basic Med too?
Yes or no?

xxxxxxxxx Maybe, Maybe Not. It is up to your personal doctor. As long as you don't have the conditions specifically outlined in Basic Med, whatever else you have is between you and your doctor.

If so, how does foregoing all medicals, self qualifying, going light sport and operating on a drivers license magically qualify anyone as a safe pilot?
xxxxxxxxxxx Assume this is a rhetorical question.

How does just dealing with untreated mild depression and retaining a medical certificate to fly, make life better and make one a safer pilot?
xxxxxxxxxxxx Same rhetorical question assumption

Team - if any of my responses are off, please correct / post up, but as someone who is looking at Basic Med vs redoing my 3rd class, and as such is trying to understand it well, this is my understanding.

I don't even think the FAA knows whether or not you ever got the Basic Med Form signed by a doctor or not.

When you submit the results of the quiz you have to provide the info about the doc who signed the form, including the doc's license number. But the FAA does NOT get the form and therefore has no record of what you disclosed to the physician or what you may have discussed.

This is my preferred anti-depressant. Pretty sure it's not FAA approved.

upload_2021-1-7_18-15-40.png

Thanks for the insight everyone.
I agree it is wise to read the rules and regulations as they are intended, and not dismantle or convolute them.

When you submit the results of the quiz you have to provide the info about the doc who signed the form, including the doc's license number. But the FAA does NOT get the form and therefore has no record of what you disclosed to the physician or what you may have discussed.

View attachment 93087

we have the same doctors!

my Gixxer keeps me sane on trackdays.

View attachment 93087
pretty sure some docs would consider riding that a mental illness.........

Mine is an "old school" carbed 2003 Yamaha FZ1. A standard, sit up straight minimal fairing/semi naked bike. I had a track only R6 that was a blast, but got out of track days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back