Oil filter ??

I'm pretty sure the difference is whether it has the male fitting screwed in the end. It is removable. But I might be way off on that.

when I search -1 I get champion and when I search for -2 I get tempest..........

What is the difference between 48108-1 and -2
Are you trying to compare Champion to Tempest? If so, you need to add CH and AA to those numbers for your search.

Last edited:
I have on hand a Tempest which is the -2 and a Champion -1. Both have the same threads. I need to know if they are interchangeable.

I was looking this up recently as well. The Tempest 2 is slightly shorter than a 1 ... not sure if Champion even makes a 2. The other male-female numbers don't apply. I *think* the 2 has some extra non-essential internal pressure release mechanism ...

I have NO IDEA if this is correct, but the guy at my local shop told me the difference is the Tempest has an internal magnet, where the Champion doesn't.

About 20 years ago Champion shortened their filter canisters by an inch. They designated it -1. It makes my Skywagon oil changes much easier!

48108 has an internal bypass. 48110 does not. The 108 attaches to a nipple on the adapter. The 110 has a nipple on the filter.

So, what's the preference around here? Tempest or Champion?

They both work.

Of course, I am not a believer in spending money on oil sample analysis, so YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
Read the installation directions for each brand. Lots of people put a film of oil around the seal, which Tempest advises against if memory serves.

About 20 years ago Champion shortened their filter canisters by an inch. They designated it -1. It makes my Skywagon oil changes much easier!

48108 has an internal bypass. 48110 does not. The 108 attaches to a nipple on the adapter. The 110 has a nipple on the filter.

You definitely want a bypass valve somewhere in the oil system in case the filter gets restricted. If there is an accident involving the engine and wrong filter type is installed, more liability shifts to the owner.

For my 182P with a Cessna filter adapter, it specifically states the filter required which happens to include a bypass valve, 48108. Would have no issues using the equivalent Tempest.

Just something to think about.

You can't install the wrong type of filter. The 48108 base is an innie. The 48110 is an outie. It's a foolproof solution.

Doesn't matter. You can't stick a 48110 on a typical adaptor when both have pipe nipples sticking out. By now most of the Cessnas with bypass adaptors have been converted, at least around here. Mine was done many years ago. I still have a couple of 48110 filters sitting on the shelf, too. Can't find anyone who uses them anymore.

Speaking of oil filters, has anyone heard of Air Maze spin on filters? A guy the airport had a box of them, pma'd and crossed to 48110 he was selling at a good price. I passed because I'd never heard of the brand. A little research shows they use a stacked screen disc system rather than a pleate element.

Read the installation directions for each brand. Lots of people put a film of oil around the seal, which Tempest advises against if memory serves.

Memory serves up perfectly.
We discuss it in this thread.
Several people posted written manufacturer's directions to install certain filters dry...but I'm not sure everyone was convinced. I posted a photo of my Tempest which specifically states on the side to install dry (post 43 if interested).

I switched to Tempest when they were first available for three reasons:

1. Tempests were less expensive.
2. I liked the magnet idea.
3. I soured on Champion from their stupid, so-called "replaceable" spark plug resistor design.

I switched to AutoLite spark plugs at the same time. Shortly thereafter Tempest bought Autolite Annie's spark plug line, but not before I got a couple of her T-shirts.

When Tempest offered the inch-shorter version I switched to that.

I'm odd man out. I use Champion 48108-1s in both planes. I usually buy a few when the shelf gets down to 2-3. Tried Tempest once. I was underwhelmed. Not doing that again. The magnet is smoke and mirrors. I cut and wash my filter media to search for metals. I don't need their magnet.

I'm odd man out. I use Champion 48108-1s in both planes. I usually buy a few when the shelf gets down to 2-3. Tried Tempest once. I was underwhelmed. Not doing that again. The magnet is smoke and mirrors. I cut and wash my filter media to search for metals. I don't need their magnet.
The magnet does not prevent one from cutting and washing the media.
Why were you "underwhelmed" with the Tempest? What performance expectations were not met?

The canister collapsed when removing. No unusual torque.

When I wash my filter media I want to see all the metal bits. Easier to do with Champion. My planes, my preference. I don't care mich what other guys use, I just answered a question.

Back