IFD missing airport

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I noticed when I was flying to get an oil change that my IFD didn't show an airport on the screen that both my Dynon and iFly did. It wasn't a display issue because the IFD wouldn't allow me to fly to the missing identifier. All three devices have the most current data. The ID is MS57, which is listed as private, which is maybe the reason?

Have you excluded private strips from displaying ?

Didn't see anywhere to adjust that, but that would do it if that's an available setting. The airport filter section is set as follows:
  • Runway Length: Any
  • Towered Airports: Any
  • Runway Surface: Hard/Soft
  • Fuel: Any

Last edited:
I'm following up to myself based on information from the Avidyne forums. There's another user there who recently said: "How easy is it to get airports added to the Jepp database? I've notice that there are a lot of airports in my local area that are not in the database.", so I guess this is just a limitation of the Jeppesen data.

I guess I mistakenly assumed the data on my $15,000 certified GPS would be as good as the data on my $200 Android app. Additionally one of the admins on the Avidyne forum replied with: "I've tried in the past to just get all private airports added, but they were unwilling to do that."

Last edited:
Most private airports are not in my 480 database either.

I'm following up to myself based on information from the Avidyne forums. There's another user there who recently said: "How easy is it to get airports added to the Jepp database? I've notice that there are a lot of airports in my local area that are not in the database.", so I guess this is just a limitation of the Jeppesen data.

I guess I mistakenly assumed the data on my $15,000 certified GPS would be as good as the data on my $200 Android app. Additionally one of the admins on the Avidyne forum replied with: "I've tried in the past to just get all private airports added, but they were unwilling to do that."

That's an easy answer. Jeppesen will add anything you want, as long as you're willing to pay for it.

Yeah, that's a topic for Jeppesen, not the GPS makers.

You can add a user-defined waypoint, of course, and on the Avidyne IFD, you can even specify that this user-defined waypoint is an airport. It's in section 3 of the user guide, under "WPT (USER WAYPOINTS) TAB" and there under "DESIGNATING A USER WAYPOINT AS AN AIRFIELD". Then you can use it in the IFD like any other airport in the Jeppesen database.

- Martin

I wonder if Jeppesen reasons that they can't keep the private airports up to date as well as the public ones, so it's a liability for them to add them? Seems like it could potentially be a liability to not add them too though. I'm sure some discussion was had there that lead them to this reasoning. I think I read something about the FAA making a push to clean up the private airport list to remove any stale ones? Maybe we'll see some change on this issue in the future if so. Ah yes, I recalled correctly: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...tacting-private-airport-owners-to-update-data

Yeah, that's a topic for Jeppesen, not the GPS makers.

You can add a user-defined waypoint, of course, and on the Avidyne IFD, you can even specify that this user-defined waypoint is an airport. It's in section 3 of the user guide, under "WPT (USER WAYPOINTS) TAB" and there under "DESIGNATING A USER WAYPOINT AS AN AIRFIELD". Then you can use it in the IFD like any other airport in the Jeppesen database.

- Martin

I need to do that for a local air park that’s not in the database. Mainly to shut all the terrain and obstacle warnings up. I was nervous about landing there my first time (turf strip with approach end that has tall trees right up to the threshold), but the annunciations distracted me enough from my nerves trying to silence the alerts that I forgot to be scared of the approach, lol...maybe that was a good thing.

Back