GPSS - STEC ST-901 vs Garmin G5

Can't wait to find out how this ends... popcorn anyone? Do you have any trailers for season 2? :)

Success!

As predicted it was something stupid. One of the pins in the wiring was off by one (and had been checked during this whole process). Now I get to wait for a weather window to get from Portland back to Reno.

Good news! Can you tell us which pin was off?

Good news! Can you tell us which pin was off?

On the GAD29B pin 8 (Heading Error Hi) goes to pin 8 on the STEC-30 (Heading Datum Hi)
On the GAD29B pin 14 (Heading Error Lo) goes to pin 7 on the STEC-30 (Heading Datum Lo)

They had mine wired as pin 15 going to pin 7. It resulted it it working a bit in Heading mode, but not at all in GPSS.

It was checked and double-checked but somehow got missed until yesterday.

After reducing it to 1.5, I found it was still 'hunting' while tracking a GPSS course, only noticeable in very calm air. So, I reduced it to 1.0. Now it no longer hunts, but it is a bit sluggish when intercepting a GPSS course, and it takes a long time to get perfectly centered on the course, which makes me think I went too far. Next I will try increasing it to 1.25.

I'll update after I find out.
I have now flown about 20 hours using 1.25 scale factor, and I no longer see any 'hunting' and acquisition seems quick. Looks like that is the best for me! I'm going to leave it there.

Russ
N52636, 1977 C177RG
CFI, CFII

Can someone draw the complete installation diagram between the g5 and the stec 30, and which g5 to buy, it is necessary to install the gmu11

Can someone draw the complete installation diagram between the g5 and the stec 30, and which g5 to buy, it is necessary to install the gmu11

It’s in the installation manual which can be downloaded from Garmin website

How often do you have to switch between heading and GPSS modes?
For me (GTN 650 GPS, STEC 20 autopilot, and ST-901 GPSS in a PA-28-161)...

VFR: rarely
IFR enroute: rarely
IFR arrival/departure: often (almost guaranteed to get off-course vectors in busy terminal airspace)

I am in the same boat and plan to install the G5 HSI within a few weeks. I have the STEC-901 installed now and it is simple to use and works great. I plan to stay with the STEC and have installer just enable the heading bug on the HSI.

I have the S-Tec 30 augmented with auto-trim (60 PSS) and the 901 for GPSS working with my GNS-530W. But subsequently I added G5s for AI and HSI. The 901 and its attendant "GPSS/HDG" pushbutton switch were removed and GPSS signal now comes from the G-5. I did "bump up" the GPSS "factor" in a few increments from 1.0 to 1.5 to more quickly intercept and smoothly track the GPSS signal. This installation is in a Piper Arrow 200.

Back