A tough decision

Luna my last dog is laying on my lap as I type this...14...good dogs like yours and Lou are a blessing. Sorry for your loss but when it’s time it’s time. We really don’t deserve the blessings of a good dog...but you obviously have been blessed.

Thanks all, I appreciate the good thoughts. Sure is tough... it just doesn’t feel right, but time will help.
Luna my last dog is laying on my lap as I type this...14...good dogs like yours and Lou are a blessing. Sorry for your loss but when it’s time it’s time. We really don’t deserve the blessings of a good dog...but you obviously have been blessed.
I couldn’t have said it better... a good dog is life changing, and when they go, you realize just how much of a blessing they were.

We may soon face the difficult decision of putting our beloved dog down. He’s a miniature dachshund that we’ve had for 14 years and he’s progressively gotten worse over the past six months. He’s increasingly having more heart troubles and developed a cough a few weeks ago. He gets winded very easily.

This morning we took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and said he has lots of fluid around his heart and would’ve likely passed within a couple weeks if we didn’t take him in this morning. They prescribed some medication to reduce the fluid but as a result, he’ll have to urinate a lot more often and could become somewhat incontinent. We have already decided that we can’t deal with involuntary urination in our house and that could be the deciding factor. The vet gave us some meds and said to re-evaluate in a month.

He’s had a wonderful life, the best we could’ve given him. He has cataracts, trouble hearing, and now he’s having a hard time getting around - especially with the vet saying no more walks. I’ve had this dog around since I was 10yrs old, so it’s very tough to see him deteriorate and potentially having to put him down. As you can imagine, our morning has been very emotional, and we’re now deciding what the best route to take will be. We have decided so far that we’ll monitor the situation and see if these meds can help his heart condition, but feel like it’s just a short term fix as he will never be able to fully recover from CHF. I never realized how attached I have gotten to an animal until now.

I know y’all have been through this more than I have, but what was your turning point as to whether it was best to put he or she down or continue trying to help them?
Sorry man. Just saw this thread now. Awful. Dogs freaking rock.. too bad they have such a short stay on this earth with us :(

Damn, sorry Ryan.

My little Phyzzbyn went under the knife last week, gets the stitches out tomorrow. She had several good-sized cycsts. They're really hard to spot under all the hair. The vet wanted to to histo/path, I said absolutely not. Were the growths not benign I'd not put her through chemotherapy. Humans understand what's going on, dogs don't.

One thing I really like about my tortoises. All things being equal they should outlive me and probably will.

Humans understand what's going on, dogs don't.
This. One year ago this Labor Day weekend my 13 (then) y/o Cocoa had to go to the ER vet. They gave her one month to live due to a huge tumor on her liver. Rather than chance the surgery they offered, I found a vet specializing in oncology. Here it is, a year later and numerous vet trips later and she's still ticking. As the tumor grows, it squeezes her stomach smaller, so I feed her homemade food several times per day. When she runs out of iron (cancer eats up red cells) her gums get white and she has no stamina. So every three weeks or so, like this morning, she gets a booster of it and liver treats through the day. Not gonna put her under the knife and abandon her at the pet hospital. I'm sure she'll let me know when it's over in her own way. OP did the right thing.

Humans understand what's going on, dogs don't.

I'm not entirely sure a blanket statement can be made like that. A lot of statements are made about what dogs do or don't think do or don't feel, but even without anthropomorphizing the dog, there are behaviors and actions dogs perform that don't line up with what is said about dogs and their lack of understanding, and it's not just a Pavlovian response.

What a timely thread. Took Sammy to the vet yesterday. Relieved that the vet said he has no detectable tumors at this point and doesn't appear to be in any pain. I didn't want to have to make the decision yet that OP had to.

Sorry to hear that Ryan.

I know how much it hurts but the time comes when it’s best for your loved on to let the suffering end. I hope you will be able to remember and enjoy the good times with him soon.

gary

Sorry to hear that Ryan.

I know how much it hurts but the time comes when it’s best for your loved on to let the suffering end. I hope you will be able to remember and enjoy the good times with him soon.

gary
Thanks, Gary.

I've been a cat hater my whole life, but I'm sure I'll shed a tear when that annoying furry evil bastard departs...

Been there got the t-shirt...we had Wilfred our devil cat for 19 years, He was always my wife's buddy but pretty much ignored me for all those years unless he was waiting to pounce at me from under a bush where he used to sit when I was busy doing any yard work. I don't think he ever forgive me for taking him to have his "nuts" done when he was a kitten..

After we had to let him go (and yes I shed a tear) I brought him home and buried him under the bush he used to leap out from to attack me ..I still expect him to leap out when I walk past his bush !
He's been gone 3 years now and I still miss the little bugger...

I'm not entirely sure a blanket statement can be made like that. A lot of statements are made about what dogs do or don't think do or don't feel, but even without anthropomorphizing the dog, there are behaviors and actions dogs perform that don't line up with what is said about dogs and their lack of understanding, and it's not just a Pavlovian response.
I'm pretty certain dogs don't understand chemotherapy. Funny about @Xscaliber 's devil cat. My dog Kurzon was never the dog I wanted, but he was my dog and I miss him dearly. And I'm glad I made the decision when I did. I didn't want my little guy to suffer.

I'm so sorry to hear, Ryan. I've had to say goodbye to two of my dogs, and Jason (my third) is nearly eleven. I dread the day when his quality of life is so awful it would be selfish to take extraordinary measures to keep him alive. We are so damn lucky to share our lives with these wonderful creatures.

Back